Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-20-2013, 06:05 AM   #1
With no other options available...

...where would you spend a night?

Pilot/ Flying J

Rest Stop

Buckola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Originally Posted by Buckola

Pilot/ Flying J

Rest Stop
Any of the above.

First choice: truck stop
Second choice: Wal Mart
Third choice: other big box store
Fourth choice: rest stop

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by Buckola View Post
Wal-Mart-Some trucks not traffic,had one with a refridge unit running and had to move.Usally Quite and peacefull sleeping.

Pilot/ Flying J- Truck traffic

Rest Stop- Truck traffic all night

Truck stop-Way to much truck noise and traffic
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Walmart over the truck stop. I can park off to side at Walmart with little to no traffic and noise. I don't like hearing a truck idling all night near me.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 120K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:19 AM   #5
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Wall mart might be quieter than a truck stop . Rest stops are only good for six hours I think .Flying J has showers .
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 AM   #6
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Any of the above.

First choice: truck stop
Second choice: Wal Mart
Third choice: other big box store
Fourth choice: rest stop
Same here, I look up a potential spot on Google Earth to get the lay of the land so to speak on stores. Street view is very handy for checking out the neighborhood. Only takes a minute to be safe and I believe it's worth the time.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #7
Gulf Streamers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have to take each one on its own merits, been to a Walmart with just two other Rv's and the next one had people out of there Rv's with people coming and going all night, and it wasn't a 24hr store, the same with truck stops one was nice and quiet, the next one had some one left there rig run all night and livestock on the other side, just the luck of the draw
Mike & Becky
2005 Gulfstream Crescendo 8356
Frutza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Flying J or truck stop. Safety would be my reason. Idling engines do not bother me.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
If I absolutely had no other humanly possible choice. Flying J.
Clay & Pebble.. Miss Butter our sweet Goldie (Jan. 2005-Jan. 2015) Sissy our Border Collie
2012 Providence 42 M. Spartan Chassis, 450 ISL
Ford Edge toad, RM All Terrane, TST TPMS, SMI Air Force One, RVM95....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Rest area is always my first choice while in route to my destination. Easy on and off.
US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Alpine Owners Club
The premise of the question is false. There are always other options, just requires people to be aware of where they are, where they are going, and to do some simple planning.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #12
Wallmart all the way. We just got back from a three week trip to florida from canada and we found the truck stops and rest area are way to noisy trucks in and out and engines running all night for no reason. We find a nice corner at the wallmart quiet and there is the shopping thing lol
cooldaddy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #13
It depends on the situation what factors come into play. I do use all three as I tend to make long trips with a specific destination, so meandering and taking my time is not an option, besides it is often late fall or winter and we want to get where we are going so we drive into the evening and just want to stop, not look for a camp ground.

Some Walmarts are really tight and with a big rig they are no joy at all. Some rest stops are really noisy. Some truck stops, including a few Flying J stops, are hell-holes. I use Google satellite views and occasionally street views to look over the choices before I set out, pick a few options, and then let how far I want to drive determine my selection.

Unlike many of my American friends, I travel un-armed. But I also travel with a bunch of dogs (so do most of my American friends by the way). I have never had a really bad experience on the road. I think the concerns about being robbed at a rest stop are out of proportion, the real risk is driving 10 hours on a busy highway with idiots in cars that enter the highway at 30mph and don't look to see a 60 foot long rig pinned in the right hand lane by a couple of over taking cars.

I usually relax when I park it no matter where it happens to be.
2006 Patriot Thunder
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
I agree with distaff. I don't understand all the paranoia these days. It's like everyone is afraid of everything. Statistically, our world is safer than ever, and continues to improve. If your world view is only what you get from TV, then I guess you are going to live in fear.

I've travelled all over North America and stayed in alot of rest areas and other places, including walking alone in some seedy places. Exercise some reasonable caution, keep yourself low-key and you shouldn't have a problem anyplace you want to go.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote