Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #1

Hi...I've been a wannabe for over 5 years and have achieved Master RV Researcher Status. I have finally woken up and read the handwriting on the wall...DH isn't at all sure about this. I love him dearly, heck...everyone loves him. I married the greatest guy in the world, but he is a serious work-a-holic, which I suppose isn't the worst trait a husband could have. He recently retired from the Navy, 30 years, and just started 2nd career in DOD in DC. I strongly suspect that total retirement is overwhelming to him. So...it looks like I can either keep "researching" or just go do it and hope he follows...someday...sooner rather than later. (He's the better cook and funny enough to do stand-up, so for entertainment value alone I'd hate to be w/o him for too long.)

I finally told him I was going to look for a women's RVing group to join and go without him. He responded with "Well, I'm sure they're out there. They're probably networked with RV dealerships that work directly with life insurance companies when we guys kick the bucket so you girls can upgrade to the 'QuasiMoto3000' RV." Please see above, re: he's a funny guy. (Altho, by posting this and something untoward happens to him I will have law enforcement all over my behind...!)

So the upshot is, I AM going to do this. I've got 2 RV shows marked down on my calendar in Sept and WILL BE BUYING. Right now I'm leaning toward the Winnebago View but not 100% about it. I would like to connect with other women RVers coz I don't think I will be able to get started by myself.

I know that man and he will follow...eventually...I do that special department store fold to his t-shirts and he is really, really attached to the dogs...and the checking account which will be with ME.

Marcia
Angus & Simon
Pom mixes in touch with their inner Timber Wolf selves.
....someday, Marty, too.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:29 AM   #2

Hi...I've been a wannabe for over 5 years and have achieved Master RV Researcher Status. I have finally woken up and read the handwriting on the wall...DH isn't at all sure about this. I love him dearly, heck...everyone loves him. I married the greatest guy in the world, but he is a serious work-a-holic, which I suppose isn't the worst trait a husband could have. He recently retired from the Navy, 30 years, and just started 2nd career in DOD in DC. I strongly suspect that total retirement is overwhelming to him. So...it looks like I can either keep "researching" or just go do it and hope he follows...someday...sooner rather than later. (He's the better cook and funny enough to do stand-up, so for entertainment value alone I'd hate to be w/o him for too long.)

I finally told him I was going to look for a women's RVing group to join and go without him. He responded with "Well, I'm sure they're out there. They're probably networked with RV dealerships that work directly with life insurance companies when we guys kick the bucket so you girls can upgrade to the 'QuasiMoto3000' RV." Please see above, re: he's a funny guy. (Altho, by posting this and something untoward happens to him I will have law enforcement all over my behind...!)

So the upshot is, I AM going to do this. I've got 2 RV shows marked down on my calendar in Sept and WILL BE BUYING. Right now I'm leaning toward the Winnebago View but not 100% about it. I would like to connect with other women RVers coz I don't think I will be able to get started by myself.

I know that man and he will follow...eventually...I do that special department store fold to his t-shirts and he is really, really attached to the dogs...and the checking account which will be with ME.

Marcia
Angus & Simon
Pom mixes in touch with their inner Timber Wolf selves.
....someday, Marty, too.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #3

Marcia, there are women on this forum. I bought my first RV when my husband died. He and I tent camped, and when he was gone, I didn't want to stay home. My sister, brother-in-law and I RV together. We're compatible so it makes RVing fun. Sparky, the long-haired chihuahua, travels with us and when the RV goes, he is ready to go too. He, too, is a great companion.
I say, do it and don't look back. I'm sure that once your husband goes on a trip or two, he won't look back.
Annie K and Sparky the long-haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL 36 LD
04 Saturn L300W
Blue Ox and Brake Buddy
Old 05-18-2006, 04:44 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I would like to say Howdy and Welcome,
We don't have a ladies forum thats set up like that, but I know there are ladies here who do all the driving and a few travel alone. Welcome aboard, and check out the Military folks Here Maybe you might find some old friends.

HAve fun
Old 05-19-2006, 04:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Let me add my welcome as well. Have you checked out the A Woman's Perspective forum down toward the bottom of the main forum menu?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #6

Thanks Jim & Rusty...just went to A Woman's Perspective and will post there.

Told DH about my post...he raised his eyebrows...I was going for a checkmate here and thought I had him but I may have blown my advantage by prematurely advising him of this move. He's one clever monkey. Have to wait and see what his counter move is. Based upon an off-hand remark he made at bed time, I hope it's not taking in a poor, troubled in-law. If that's the counter strategery he's planning on, I should have bought the RV then told him my move.
If you men have any suggestions, I'm open to consideration. He would be a great asset out there on the road. I've had men come up and sing his praises in every job he's held. He just naturally draws people to him.
And.....I want an RV more than I want to bail this particular in-law out a difficult situation...AGAIN.
Marcia
Angus & Simon, Timber Wolves in Pom clothing
....Marty?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:49 AM   #7

Best advise I can give is to take you time looking and make sure you get what you want. Doesn't matter if it is a motorhome or trailer, whatever you are comfortable with. Try to get him to go along to the shows with you so he can see what you are looking at. Get him out on that first trip and he might decide, like the dogs, when the motor starts he will be there too.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:38 AM   #8

DH is on board!!!

He bought into my argument and we are making contact with a dealership to get the ball rolling!

Will see you on the road and round the fire!!!!

Marcia & Marty, the World's Greatest DH
Angus & Simon...
Old 05-20-2006, 08:24 AM   #9

You two are going to love the lifestyle. For DW and I it is a wonderful way to travel.

Don't be in a hurry to buy. Look at everything, new and used, and decide what best fits YOU. It also pays to shop for a good dealership. Ask lots of questions both at the dealership and here on the forum. Lots of people here with lots of good advise.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I spent 35 years in the Navy and have never looked back after starting RV'ing.

Marty - I don't know why I waited so long! It's a great life.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote