Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #141

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
I wish I didn't have to pay $15 BILLION a year for somebody to be able to send a Christmas card when there are cheaper methods available. As far as using the USPS as a social hour, why not go to a coffee shop and not have to bail them out every year. If so many people in other countries are all happy, why do so many people try sneak into the US every year?
You paid $15 Billion??!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #142

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Scandalous!

As financier-in-Chief, what are you going to do about it?

Old 12-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #143

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I think the "law" is more like private companies cannot handle first class mail and/or place said mail in mail boxes.
Thank you "66, I just said it wrong....
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #144

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Every year they get a taxpayer bailout. This year they want $15 BILLION. They do in fact get a lot of our money whether we use them or not. Huge changes have to be made. We did away with telephone operators when the dial telephone was invented. When email and the internet made the post office largely irrelevant why do we keep them?
The USPS did not get a BAILOUT! They BORROWED the money from the US Treasury. They have to pay it back.They have been off budget since the mid 80s. The only subsidies it receives is mailings for the blind and official mail to overseas voters. Unlike other government agencies, at least the USPS is trying to tighten its belt Congress has their hands tied.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:04 AM   #145

Oh, they borrow the money every year and are going to pay it back. I see. Sorry. I guess this is like the Federal Government borrowing the excess social security funds since LBJ and they are going to pay it back when we need it. When they are losing $15 BILLION a year and growing every year, how are they going to pay the billions back? I am not a big fan of congress, but the post office has plenty of blame.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #146

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
UPS and FedEX have their standards too. You should check them out sometime. USPS is by far the less restrictive of them all. Some of the things I see people taking to the Post Office would be rejected by the other two. Don't know what your talking about USPS owning my mail mailbox as I own it and I'm responsible for maintaining it unless your talking about a PO Box of which UPS and FedEx do not offer.
Check with the USPS. Legally, they own the mailboxes they deliver to even though you paid for it, installed it, and have to maintain it.

Yes, UPS, FedEX, etc. have stringent standards but I that has nothing to do with the point I was making.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:46 AM   #147

Vintage RV Owners Club
Can someone explain to me the very premise that there's a "loss" here?

Is every dollar "lost" if it's spent by the Feds and unreimbursed by users of the service?????????
Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca

Is every dollar "lost" if it's spent by the Feds and unreimbursed by users of the service?????????
The service does not support itself without constant infusions of cash from outside sources (taxpayers in this case.) That by definition is operating at a loss.

If customers are unwilling to pay the true cost of sending a letter then the business is dead under its own weight already. We mindlessly burden our kids with more debt just to keep the status quo going on life support.

I don't think the next generations will look back at what we are doing with approval or admiration. Do you? Honestly?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
Check with the USPS. Legally, they own the mailboxes they deliver to even though you paid for it, installed it, and have to maintain it.

Yes, UPS, FedEX, etc. have stringent standards but I that has nothing to do with the point I was making.
I did check and here's what I found out;

1.1Authorized Depository
Except as excluded by 1.2, every letterbox or other receptacle intended or used for the receipt or delivery of mail on any city delivery route, rural delivery route, highway contract route, or other mail route is designated an authorized depository for mail within the meaning of 18 USC 1702, 1705, 1708, and 1725.

1.2Exclusions
Door slots and nonlockable bins or troughs used with apartment house mailboxes are not letterboxes within the meaning of 18 USC 1725 and are not private mail receptacles for the standards for mailable matter not bearing postage found in or on private mail receptacles. The post or other support is not part of the receptacle.

1.3Use for Mail
Except under 2.11, the receptacles described in 1.1 may be used only for matter bearing postage. Other than as permitted by 2.10 or 2.11, no part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

Technically you own the box they own the contents, this was done so if anyone tempered with your mail they would face stiff penalties.

As for the "standards" I simply was implying that the other's had standards too. I couldn't imagine that if the USPS was ever privatized and you would have several other contractors processing mail that they wouldn't have to follow a standard. Without a standard you would have complete anarchy.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #150

95% of what I receive is junk mail that moves from my mailbox to the recycle bin. The other 5%, express scripts (Meds) official government mail, social security correspondence, IRS, etc. appears to arrive without any difficulty. My postman, Jeff, is very nice and helpful and will get out of his truck and leave items on my porch if it will not fit in the mailbox. Point being...there are a lot of Jeff's working at the post office but all we hear about is the 10% that are screwed up!

If we privatized the post office and allowed it to run without political influence as a profit and loss business it could be successful like FedEx or UPS...they would need to have a change in management from mid level to the Post Master General to make this happen.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #151

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbates View Post
The service does not support itself without constant infusions of cash from outside sources (taxpayers in this case.) That by definition is operating at a loss.
By this definition, every department in every Government operates at a loss.

The Post Office is evidently being singled out for criticism here due to its unique position of actually charging its users for a part of the service it performs....though evidently not enough, as far as some Financial Experts are concerned.

Answer me this:

How much do the following agencies' direct beneficiaries (class served) contribute towards the cost of the services rendered?

(In dollars, please...no "public service" argument/rationalizations allowed.)

1) The U.S. Department of Agriculture
2)The U.S. Department of Commerce
3)The Securities and Exchange Commission
4)The Interstate Highway System
5)The Federal Reserve
6) (You choose any/all others)
Old 12-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #152

Quote:

By this definition, every department in every Government operates at a loss.
Governmental departments are funded by tax dollars to administer their respective business issues.

The post office is a 'pay to use' service, not a government department.

Quote:
The Post Office is evidently being singled out for criticism here due to its unique position of actually charging its users for a part of the service it performs....though evidently not enough, as far as some Financial Experts are concerned.

Answer me this:

How much do the following agencies' direct beneficiaries (class served) contribute towards the cost of the services rendered?

(In dollars, please...no "public service" argument/rationalizations allowed.)

1) The U.S. Department of Agriculture
2)The U.S. Department of Commerce
3)The Securities and Exchange Commission
4)The Interstate Highway System
5)The Federal Reserve
6) (You choose any/all others)
#1 & #2 can vanish, expensive and counter productive IMHO. Same with the Dept. of Energy.
#3 gets fees from transactions and licensing.
#4 has gas taxes, registrations fees, and licensing fees, property taxes, and general commerce increases that net income.
#5 can pound sand.

I don't know the actual amounts each gets but with $1.5 trillion annual deficits, I assure you it's too much in general.

If the post office is just another government agency or service let us officially make it so ...and deal with it accordingly.

I'm not anti-USPS; I'm anti-taxpayer bailout in general.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #153

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:

The post office is a 'pay to use' service, not a government department.
Well, I think it's been mostly privatized, but since that's not the belief of most of the posters here I'm willing to participate within the Popular Belief...

Quote:

#1 & #2 can vanish, expensive and counter productive IMHO. Same with the Dept. of Energy.
#3 gets fees from transactions and licensing.
#4 has gas taxes, registrations fees, and licensing fees, property taxes, and general commerce increases that net income.
I know that each of those receive some money from users- though unless I'm mistaken not nearly enough to cover costs.

Just like the Post Office!

The question is:

How do the other Agencies' "losses" compare to those of the Postal Service?
Old 12-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #154
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post

If that is the case, why is it that if someone takes something out of your mail box after deliver (theif) that they can only be prosecuted under local criminal law and not Federal law. This has already been proven in many courts, where SS checks were stolen.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote