Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2012, 02:39 PM   #99

Vintage RV Owners Club
Bet some folks will be happy when voting goes all electronic....everyone knows that a paper ballot can be hacked, after all!

And e-voting is so secure that I'm sure it'll serve to erase that widespread abuse!

One giant step for the Democratic process, eh?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #100

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
They may not take government money but they do have to depend on congress to make decisions on what they can and can not do.
Agreed.. Same as Fanny and Freddie, and just about as much BS

Old 11-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #101

Every year they get a taxpayer bailout. This year they want $15 BILLION. They do in fact get a lot of our money whether we use them or not. Huge changes have to be made. We did away with telephone operators when the dial telephone was invented. When email and the internet made the post office largely irrelevant why do we keep them?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:38 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay Richards View Post
Every year they get a taxpayer bailout. This year they want $15 BILLION. They do in fact get a lot of our money whether we use them or not. Huge changes have to be made. We did away with telephone operators when the dial telephone was invented. When email and the internet made the post office largely irrelevant why do we keep them?
VIsited your website, saw that the only state missing from your map was Alaska, thought I would invite you to visit. Should be enough of an excuse to head north.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 AM   #103

I have not gone to HI either. I am waiting until they build the causeway. So far to Alaska from Florida and with gas prices so high, we have considered flying in and renting an RV for a month. I think it would be cheaper.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:07 AM   #104

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Bet some folks will be happy when voting goes all electronic....everyone knows that a paper ballot can be hacked, after all!

And e-voting is so secure that I'm sure it'll serve to erase that widespread abuse!

One giant step for the Democratic process, eh?
How quickly you have forgotten the 2000 election with hanging chads and questionable results. 2004 wasn't much better. How about FL and AZ this year where many election results were delayed by a week or more due to how long it took to count votes? Paper ballots can, have been, and still are being hacked. And don't even get me started on the anachronistic Electoral College.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:08 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss
They are required to PRE-FUND the retirement system. No other organization, including federal retirement systems, is required to do that.
If the USPS agreed to fund retirement for their employees that is exactly as it must be done. Otherwise they blow through all their money end up turning to the taxpayers for a bailout later.

The fact is that there are too many USPS employees and they are overcompensated in general. There is not enough demand for the service to justify the costs of that leviathan.

If the business plan fails, let it fail. Rebuild it after it collapses in a sustainable way, without the bloated promises.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #106

The electoral college has served the country well for centuries and continues to do so. To remove it, would require 2/3's of the states to do so. That will never happen. If Tropical Storm Sandy had hit one week later, you would have seen a real need for it. Snow storms and other natural disasters are always a possibility on election day. It is here to stay.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181
When a bulk mailer includes a postage paid envelope, I rip up the contents, stuff the envelope and mail it back to the sender, giving the USPS additional revenue. I can't do that with spam.
You can also cut the front of the return envelope off and tape it to a box. I've sent old alternators, bags of old bolts, a brick, and more. I tried to send an old tire one time but that apparently takes special postage.

I thought that by eating up their potential profit they would stop. It hasn't worked yet but I have plenty of heavy things ready to return to the next contestant.

If you do this, make sure it is totally benign. No liquids, nothing that rots, no batteries or anything the EPA requires special handling of (nothing that the crybabies might consider a threat.) Just heavy stuff that they can easily dispose of (=

Remember, you are sending it via USPS and they can turn harmless fun into felonies so be careful!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
99.9% of our personel business is done online. The USPS has no service or reliability. If I order something online and USPS is noted as the shipper, I call the company and request something else. If they don't/won't comply, I shop for the product elsewhere.
Used to be easy to see who they are using to ship . . . now with all these hybrid services like SmartPost, SurePost, etc. they hide the fact that most companies "standard" shipping SUCKS!

My complaint isn't even with the USPS workers who usually gets blamed for the slow delivery . . . WHY does the post office give discounted rates to their competitors??

FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. are making a profit off the efforts of the USPS and then we, the 98%, will pay in the end for the inefficiencies of the USPS with higher rates???
Old 12-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #109

Thor Owners Club
I really hope I get booted off.... [moderator edit].. What other country in the world can do what OUR US OF A post office does.. 45 cents to get a letter ???? Really you guys would never do anything that takes a billion miles to get from point A to B ... please Google why the PO does not make money [moderator edit].... Peace D
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #110

The trouble is very few people want to send a letter from point A to point B anymore when they can do it electronically quicker and for free. Most of the "mail" is junk mail rarely read. It is being subsidized by the taxpayer. If they were to disappear tomorrow, the private sector would quickly pick up the pieces and do the necessary tasks at a price people were willing to pay. By the way, if the post office could send a letter for 45 cents, they wouldn't need the $15 BILLION.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixieray53
I really hope I get booted off.... What other country in the world can do what OUR US OF A post office does.. 45 cents to get a letter ???? Really you guys would never do anything that takes a billion miles to get from point A to B ... please Google why the PO does not make money ... Peace D
This exactly right. If there was a private business that could send letters for .45 each they would be doing it. Instead, the private companies have taken all the highly profitable package delivery business leaving the Post Office with the scraps.

The Post Office should be charging somewhere around .75 to deliver these letters, but there would be riots. In the streets. The radical fringes of political parties would demand the shut down and dismantling of the Post Office. There are many good, caring, hard working postal employees, and there are some real deadbeats also. Just like in any other business.

Sorry to go on about this, but I will be glad to have my tax money subsidize this bargain. My only complaint is the discounts private shipping gets from the post office. To me that is corporate welfare.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #112

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Save the Post Office, get rid of Medicare