Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #113

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Save the Post Office, get rid of Medicare
Hold on there now young whippersnapper.

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 PM   #114

Wow lots of USPS bashing here. Part of our business is mail order. We send thousands of packages ( 70% under 13 ounces) a year with 90% of it thru the USPS. Many times when we're on the road doing our vendor shows we'll also use the local post offices to ship. In the seven years we have been doing this the USPS has lost zero packages, you didn't read that wrong it really is zero. That's at least 20,000 packages over that period of time. We also use FedEx and UPS with UPS losing two packages this year alone. There are times when shipping USPS can get delayed as it's been misdirected, however it eventually gets there. The USPS is so efficient and inexpensive that it's the only way we can afford to offer free shipping. I have had many talks with UPS and FedEx management and I can tell you first hand they wouldn't touch what the USPS does with a ten foot pole! USPS Priority is far less expensive in most cases then UPS and FedEx and it'll get there faster too, most of the times with in three days. Try that with a cross country shipment with UPS and FedEx. If your a business try using UPS and FedEx for International shipments.......it's extremely expensive. Just this past week we sent two packages to Japan each weighing 3 pounds USPS Priority International mail. Shipped on Monday with one received Thursday the other Friday. Cost about $42.00 each, would have been almost double and far slower with anyone else. Our Canadian customers don't want anything to do with UPS.
I guess what I'm seeing on some of these posts is just the typical government bashing that seems to be so popular now, I personally find it especially with the USPS pretty short sighted.

nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Get rid of the postal union. Problem solved.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #116

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Hold on there now young whippersnapper.
Reminds me of the Futurama episode "time Keeps Slipping"

Quote:
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: The time skips are worse than ever now. Isolated spots are jumping by years at a time. Look.

Boy outside Social Security office: Stupid senior citizens. Why should we have to pay for their Social Security benefits?

[Time skip; boy becomes senior citizen] Senior Citizen: I deserve free money!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:05 PM   #117

Fleetwood Owners Club
Guess I am one of the odd men out. I would rather have my stuff shipped USPS than FedEx or UPS or any of the others.

USPS Priority is ALWAYS 3 days from the East Coast to the West Coast.

UPS ground is 5-6 days, but don't count weekends, and half the time UPS "reschedules" the delivery for a day or two later. Oh a storm somewhere in the US? Count on a few more days. Where does UPS store all those delayed packages?

FedEx is just a complete mess and on top of that I hate it when they come in to my business's parking lot and park in front of the door, blocking all of my customers, to deliver a package. They interrupt my staff so they can get a signature and out the door as quickly as possible,

DHL takes packages from LA, takes 5 days to get them to Western Washington, Auburn, to hand them to the USPS who gets them to me the next day.

Send all my packages USPS, cheap, fast and reliable.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #118

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
This exactly right. If there was a private business that could send letters for .45 each they would be doing it. Instead, the private companies have taken all the highly profitable package delivery business leaving the Post Office with the scraps.

Well not exactly... Private companies are forbidden by law from delivering letters.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
Well not exactly... Private companies are forbidden by law from delivering letters.
As far as I know that's untrue. You can have UPS or FedEx deliver any letter you want, it'll just cost you about $7.00!
Old 12-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by nplenzick
Wow lots of USPS bashing here. Part of our business is mail order.

Our Canadian customers don't want anything to do with UPS.
I know this is true as there is an ongoing thread on this forum where Canadian members have been discussing the unwarranted surcharge UPS tacks onto mail order shipments from Camping World. They have sent numerous emails ( not letters) to the CEO of Camping World requesting a change from UPS to USPS .....bottom line appears to be that if Camping World doesn't change it's shipping procedures ......Canadian Customers will find alternative suppliers.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #121

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why blame the workers?

My BIL worked for the USPS for 44 years before dying in 1973, He told me back then that the money received from the auctions of lost items went right into the Treasury, while the Post Office had to reimburse the people who mailed the items. He said the auctions raised millions of dollars a year. I would imagine that is still going on. Back in the Pony Express days, it took weeks and months for a letter to be delivered for a couple of dollars, so I think we expect too much for a 44 cent stamp. Eddie Elk.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #122

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf3504dr View Post
dunno.. UPS here has a 'Letter' envelope and drop box..
Old 12-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #123
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I think the "law" is more like private companies cannot handle first class mail and/or place said mail in mail boxes.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 View Post
I think the "law" is more like private companies cannot handle first class mail and/or place said mail in mail boxes.
You don't need a law for that as a private company wouldn't touch first class mail unless they could charge a few bucks for it.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #125

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
FedEx and United Parcel Service (UPS) directly compete with USPS express mail and package delivery services, making nationwide deliveries of urgent letters and packages. Due to the postal monopoly, they are not allowed to deliver non-urgent letters and may not directly ship to U.S. Mail boxes at residential and commercial destinations. However both companies have transit agreements with the USPS in which an item can be dropped off with either FedEx or UPS who will then provide shipment up to the destination post office serving the intended recipient where it will be transferred for delivery to the U.S. Mail destination, including Post Office Box destinations. These services also deliver packages which are larger and heavier than USPS will accept.
United States Postal Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 12-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #126

Gulf Streamers Club
There you go again, introducing facts into an otherwise fascinating fictional argument.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote