Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruppr View Post
The OP is under the mistaken belief that the USPS is run by the government in his reference. Not true--

Best,

Bob
BUT it is overlooked and regulated by our government just as our healthcare will be:

The USPS is created as a government agency under Title 39, Section 101.1 of the United States Code which states, in part:
(a) The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States, authorized by the Constitution, created by Act of Congress, and supported by the people. The Postal Service shall have as its basic function the obligation to provide postal services to bind the Nation together through the personal, educational, literary, and business correspondence of the people. It shall provide prompt, reliable, and efficient services to patrons in all areas and shall render postal services to all communities. The costs of establishing and maintaining the Postal Service shall not be apportioned to impair the overall value of such service to the people.
Under paragraph (d) of Title 39, Section 101.1, "Postal rates shall be established to apportion the costs of all postal operations to all users of the mail on a fair and equitable basis."
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
USPS wastes more money

My example as to why USPS is losing money.
Ordered a package that was shipped USPS from Raleigh NC.
I tracked the shipping route:
Wednesday: Raleigh NC. To Richmond Va.
Thursday: Richmond Va. To Charlottesville Va.
Friday: Charlottesville Va. To Sanford Va.
Sat in Sanford till Monday
Monday: Sanford Va. To Locust Grove Va. P.O.
Tuesday: delivered to my home about 11:00am.
Check out the map of this route.

Something worth mentioning is, . . To get from Charlottesville Va to Sanford Va. and back, you must cross the Chesapeake Bay over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel near Virginia Beach Va.

Oh, I'm only 73 miles from Richmond Va. and their route from Richmond to Locust Grove is 546 miles. Maybe it is just me, but that sure seems like a lot of wasted miles to get from Richmond Va. to Locust Grove Va.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shipping.gif
Views:	78
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	29430  

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #17

I bought a part from a town 43 miles from me on Ebay. The PO shipped it over 600 miles and took 6 days to get to me. I could have walked there and got it sooner. Doesn't anyone review the shipping guidelines/software? Over night takes 5 days to deliver?
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #18
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I sent my daughters Xbox via UPS. It took one day to get there. They advised me they sent it back and gave me a tracking number. I checked the expected arrival date and it's a 7 day return.

Am I missing something? Did the return distance suddenly get longer than the send distance? Both were sent UPS Standard.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Its bad 'cause you cant get fired..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Another Urban Legend.
Not according to our local Postmaster.

We have a mailman that had screwed up soooo many times in soooo many ways. Haveing been written up sooo many times, I asked "Why is he STILL here"?

My Postmaster says, "SOOOO, whadda want ME to do, he's fire-proof".

Soooo, we put up with the lost, or mis-directed mail or what ever other schnagans he comes up with. I used to wich he'd get caught pop-smokin' or something but soon THAT will be legal too.

Mmmmmmm.
GWinger
GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:19 AM   #20

I love it when they put a notice in your mailbox saying they were unable to deliver a package. Now what makes me upset is I was home all day and the mailman never got out of his truck. Now I had to pick up the package at the post office. The manager didn't really care that I was inconvenienced. Just to make matters worse, I got to the PO before the mailman got there so I had to go back the next day.
BBQ Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The point I was making about the running of the post office:

It is classified as an "independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States" and operates independently of government control, run by its own non-political directors.

And yes, on some days/delivery's (or lack of) you wonder what they were thinking------------

Best,

Bob
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
So where are they getting the billions to keep operating?? That's a fair question.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Outside of most POs you will find a FedEx drop box. There's a reason for that.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Aside all the commentary, there is a more serious reason USPS is loosing so much money. They are required to PRE-FUND the retirement system. No other organization, including federal retirement systems, is required to do that.

I'm not defending sloppy service or an organization that can't be nimble enough to keep up with new paradigms but the the pre-funding issue is whack.

Understanding the Post Office
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
And another reason to thank the wonderful union lobby for that piece of legislation.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #26

Sky boss

The reason they are required to prefund is that they can't be trusted to pay in the arears. This is beared out by their missing the last two pre fund payments. Now they are 10 billion in the rears. It will only continue. The solution in my opinion is to deliver only on mon,wed,and friday. That will take half of current staff. All this should be done by private non-union employer. Overnight del.by fedx. Keep the inept out of overnite del. This system would also allow rural areas to keep a service center. PS note I did not say Post Office. Rich
Mrboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubwheat View Post
Another Urban Legend.
Not really a stretch though.. I have known several people who work for the USPS. 2 are family.

I once went to test for a job there when got outta the Navy. The tester said "You are here because the law says we have to test you. Do NOT expect a job. You will NOT get one. Veteran or not." No one did..

Now, the neighbor that was a mail carrier was cited for 'losing mail' (you remember - 8 years worth under his porch..), but kept his job!

No, not an 'urban myth'..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #28

I prefunded my retirement and so does everybody with a 401k. It is the only way to go. When companies like GM go bankrupt, Uncle Sugar has to step in and bail out the retirement funds that were not properly funded. If the post office retirements were not prefunded, then they would be needing more bailouts as they appear to waste money hand over foot. I always try to use Fed-X or UPS even if it sometimes costs more. I can follow it's progress right across the country.