Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Wonder why the USPS lost 15 Billion?

Got a call from my credit card company saying my card was compromised and would be canceled. I told them I'm going on vacation in a few days and really need it. They said they would over night a new one to me.

They sent it out OVER NIGHT express via USPS on Monday with a tracking#. On Tuesday I checked and it was in a PO 250 miles from my house. Wed. I checked again and it is 150 miles away in another PO.

I called the PO and asked why it wasn't delivered on Tuesday. They said "We guarantee 5 day delivery"

I guess they don't care that over night with Fedx or UPS means you will have it by 10am the next day..... What an idea delivering an over night package the very next day! No wonder they lost 15 Billion last year.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I'm not a fan of the USPS because of all the problems and delays.

I sent a Priority Mail envelope with a signature required and return receipt requested.

I never received the conformation, so I called the post office and they told me they don't guarantee their services and offered a refund.

I only use the USPS for snail mail.

Overnight or guaranteed delivery required, I use UPS.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our son is in the Navy. Several years ago, on his first deployment to the Middle East, he had bought us some souvenirs when he had shore leave in Dubai, and shipped them home, along with some of his unifirm stuff he didn't need (pea coat, etc.). We got home from work one day to find a notice that a package could not be delivered, and it was waiting for us at our local post office. We went in the next day and they spent about an hour looking for it. Over two weeks we talked to dozens of postal workers, up to the postmaster - never did find the package.

Somehow it disappeared between when the mailman tried to deliver it one day, and when we went to collect it less than 12 hours later. The postmaster offered all kinds of excuses, such as "The delivery address and return address were the same - that confuses our address readers" - and "He should have insured the package - then it wouldn't have gotten lost"

To this day we are convinced that someone in the post office got themselves an official Navy issue pea coat and other winter gear, and some nice souvenirs from Dubai.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Its bad 'cause you cant get fired..
Old 11-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had a few items I ordered "disappear" somewhere en route to my house. The worst was a TPMS system, which caused me a lot of grief with the reseller, manufacturer, and credit card company.
I really try not to order from companies who only ship USPS. This isn't your father's Postal Service anymore......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ordered a new skylight assy, and a tube lap joint compound to install it on the motorhome. The order was shipped via USPS from Tiffin in Red Bay, Al. Because it was flammable, the joint compound could not be shipped via air, and was shipped under separate cover via USPS ground only. It took 9 days for the package to arrive at my local Montana post office,and another 3 days before it was delivered to my house. The skylight arrived in 5 days. Cost to ship the tube of sealant was $8.32. The price of the tube of sealant was $6.19. I was not told, and did not know of the separate shipping requirement by the USPS for the sealant. Thanks USPS for the 12 day delivery time, and thank you Tiffin for being so informative.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Our son is in the Navy. Several years ago, on his first deployment to the Middle East, he had bought us some souvenirs when he had shore leave in Dubai, and shipped them home, along with some of his unifirm stuff he didn't need (pea coat, etc.). We got home from work one day to find a notice that a package could not be delivered, and it was waiting for us at our local post office. We went in the next day and they spent about an hour looking for it. Over two weeks we talked to dozens of postal workers, up to the postmaster - never did find the package.

Somehow it disappeared between when the mailman tried to deliver it one day, and when we went to collect it less than 12 hours later. The postmaster offered all kinds of excuses, such as "The delivery address and return address were the same - that confuses our address readers" - and "He should have insured the package - then it wouldn't have gotten lost"

To this day we are convinced that someone in the post office got themselves an official Navy issue pea coat and other winter gear, and some nice souvenirs from Dubai.
Maybe it is a package they bid on in one of those new reality shows where the big mouths bid on stuff hoping for the mother load (like Storage Wars")
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it was caused by discount postage used by all the junk mailers.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
My local post office is great. They're friendly, helpful, and efficient. They don't park at Walmart. They don't eat Hostess Ding Dong's and they don't believe the world is coming to an end December 21st (they'll be sorry).

Central Planning has decided to close our local post office due to high customer satisfaction.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The OP is under the mistaken belief that the USPS is run by the government in his reference. Not true--

Best,

Bob
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
I only know what I have had happenn 6 years with our mail forwarding service.

EVERY time I uses USPS the mail was delayed or lost.

NEVER when I use Fed Ex was the mail delayed or lost.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Its bad 'cause you cant get fired..
Another Urban Legend.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
99.9% of our personel business is done online. The USPS has no service or reliability. If I order something online and USPS is noted as the shipper, I call the company and request something else. If they don't/won't comply, I shop for the product elsewhere.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I think it was caused by discount postage used by all the junk mailers.
I'll go with that!
Charge everyone, including the junk mail, the same price (except maybe the 501C's).

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote