Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #1

If there are any woodcarvers out there, I would like to hear from you.

01 Winnebago Journey DL 36ft w/Cat 330
HobbyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 PM   #2

If there are any woodcarvers out there, I would like to hear from you.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:43 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My DH, Rick, does wood carving. Actually it's been on hold most of the last 15 years while we've been working full-time. He's done birds, fish, ducks, animals, and some people. And he's packed some of his chisels and knives and drawings into the MH for our trip next week. He also enjoys the burning and especially the painting of the finished items. We have a wood carvers club here where we live and they get together with other clubs in the area for weekly sessions, classes and shows. We retire Jan. 4 and it will be one of the hobbies he takes up again.

What do you like to carve?

<span class="ev_code_RED">8 more days...</span>
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #4

Jack,
I don't know if I qualify as a woodcarver yet, but I'm trying We camped next to a REAL woodcarver for a month in South Fork, CO. this summer. He showed me how to carve a 'wood spirit' in an aspen walking stick and my wife liked it so well that I had to carve one for each of our grandkids The carving is on hold right now while I rebuild the engine in our 2n Ford tractor.
I have some earlier experience with some of the basic tools as I did some relief carving on muzzle loading rifles I used to build.
Loren
Old 12-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #5
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

I know that I am in noway even close to being in this league, but I did enjoy wood shop in high school way back when! I also bought a wood burning kit about 2 years ago, but as to date have never did anything with it! Oh well I retired this past Nov 07. So maybe I will have some free time now to play, LOL!! Any info on where or how to start carving, please let me know!
Old 12-29-2007, 04:02 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hobbyjack:
If there are any woodcarvers out there, I would like to hear from you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/5...tmas_07-03.jpg
As you can see by all of these un-finished projects, I am looking for help. My DW keeps asking, When are you going to finish something??? Nag, Nag, Nag,,,,this is hard work, but I do enjoy making something out of a piece of wood. Never knew it took some much in the way of different sizes of wood. I should have opene a lumber yard. Maybe then I could be driving one of those REALLY Big RIGS Thanks to all that have answered and please keep in touch.

Old 12-30-2007, 04:00 AM   #7
AL

Florida Cooters Club
Nor'easters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi All,

Hey Hobbyjack, just looked at you projects, there is a lot of detail in some of them very nice work !!! I also say as long as you enjoy doing it, forget about the "Nag Nag Nag" and just keep carving! Finish some if you like and sell or give them away to folks you want to remember you ! I still have a hose tie that is made from a twig and a cut piece of bike tube, it was given to me by a nice older fellow! My family and I were camped next to him back in 1995 in Front Royal Va. I don't use it, because I don't want it to break, I just keep it around in the rig, and when I come across it I look at it and remember the nice man and the fun my family & I have had Rving aswell as all the great folks we have met along the way !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Loren:
Jack,
I don't know if I qualify as a woodcarver yet, but I'm trying We camped next to a REAL woodcarver for a month in South Fork, CO. this summer. He showed me how to carve a 'wood spirit' in an aspen walking stick and my wife liked it so well that I had to carve one for each of our grandkids The carving is on hold right now while I rebuild the engine in our 2n Ford tractor.
I have some earlier experience with some of the basic tools as I did some relief carving on muzzle loading rifles I used to build.
Loren </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Loren, if you camped next to a woodcarver, that already makes you a 5 on a 10 scale. Would you show me how to cave a woodspirit and in aspen wood??? Wish I could get back to CO just for the wood.....Last time I was there was in 1954 at Lowry AFB. I spent 6mos there and went into the Mtns. every weekend that I could. Years later I was stationed in KA. and I took my new wife whom is from England to see the Rockies. Now you know we being in the Military, we were on a tight budget. We farmed out our two girls that were to young to travel an we headed out to CO in a 1961 Corvair Station with our oldest son. My Wife and son saw CO. on the budget trip. We went to Buffalo Bills grave because my son wanted to see it. We went to Red Roc Amp. Theater, Golden to see a gold mine...we had just enough money to make the trip back to Kansas. So if you have any mountain sticks of Aspen wood, SEND THEM......

Old 12-30-2007, 06:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hobby Jack..
I also looked at your work...
Very Nice!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:28 AM   #10

Jack,
You are a lot farther along than I am, those are great carvings on your site
I have just uploaded a photo, to my irv2 photos, of the type of wood spirit we carved. When this is approved I'll see if I can put it in this message. This is the one my instructer carved while showing a couple of us 'how to'. I have given away all of mine to my kids and grandkids Mine looked ALMOST this good, but I seem to have trouble with the eyes.
Since coming home I've ordered some tools and the book 'How to Carve a Woodspirit in a Hiking Stick',by Johnson, from Mountain Woodcarvers. I just liked the looks of this one, and the instructions were pretty good; I believe my son was the one that grabbed this one when it was finished
Nope, don't have any aspen sticks left. You are only allowed to cut two trees with a permit in the National Forest, usually you can get two sticks from a tree.
Happy carving,
Loren
Old 01-02-2008, 01:40 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GoneFishin:
My DH, Rick, does wood carving. Actually it's been on hold most of the last 15 years while we've been working full-time. He's done birds, fish, ducks, animals, and some people. And he's packed some of his chisels and knives and drawings into the MH for our trip next week. He also enjoys the burning and especially the painting of the finished items. We have a wood carvers club here where we live and they get together with other clubs in the area for weekly sessions, classes and shows. We retire Jan. 4 and it will be one of the hobbies he takes up again.

What do you like to carve?

<span class="ev_code_RED">8 more days...</span> </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Well Rick, I guess when you wake up in the morn, you will be Retared........

Old 01-12-2008, 02:54 PM   #12

I was hoping that we had more WoodCarvers onboard!! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HobbyJack:
If there are any woodcarvers out there, I would like to hear from you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> If I can get a PIC up, will show you some of the stuff that I have been working on but have not finished. The story of my life. Seems like I always find another carving challenge to start on. Hopefully when I get back down to the Gulf, I will have time to finish something.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:12 PM   #13

Well as everyone can see I have already posted a PIC of my unfinished work (In progress)My DW is hopefull that I wll finish something in the near future (Twilight Zone). <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HobbyJack:
I was hoping that we had more WoodCarvers onboard!! <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HobbyJack:
If there are any woodcarvers out there, I would like to hear from you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> If I can get a PIC up, will show you some of the stuff that I have been working on but have not finished. The story of my life. Seems like I always find another carving challenge to start on. Hopefully when I get back down to the Gulf, I will have time to finish something. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 02-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We're getting ready to be on the road for many months and Rick is taking his carving tools. I hope he continues with the hobby, because I think it's pretty amazing. (He has many others so I'm not concerned about him getting bored!) My grandfather used to carve, back in the hollers of WV. We still have some of his wood chains in the family. The tools today are so much more sophisticated. I've posted some photos of RICK'S WOOD CARVINGShere if interested. I even like the unfinished pieces since they show the progression of the raw wood to finished piece.

GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote