Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-26-2015, 08:19 AM   #15
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been heating with wood for years. I have a fireplace insert like this one:

The economics - I believe with the current price of gas or LP, if you need to purchase firewood, pellets, coal, etc, it may be cheaper (and a heck of a lot less hassle) to simply turn up the furnace.

I start my burner about the middle of December and it runs continuously until about the end of March. I typically burn about 4 cords a season. The last two years, the price of natural gas has been very, very low, so we only went through one cord a year.

Last spring we cut down a bunch of trees on my property. We just finished splitting and stacking over 8 cords of wood, so for the cost of 2 gallons of gasoline and a large bottle of Motrin, we have enough fuel for about three years.

There are 9 stacked rows, each row is about 5 ft tall and 20 ft long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewood_300.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	112783  

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:33 AM   #16
Jotul is a very good brand.

We had two stoves in Bako. The smaller one in the family room was on the hearth and vented rough the chimney. One evening I noticed a glow where the vent went through a pan. It was on fire. I got the hose and directed a very small stream of water into the hole which turned to steam and out it went. But it would always restart. I opened all the stove vents to cool it off and called the fire dept telling them I had it under control, no need for code.
In about two minutes sirens all a lover the cul de sac. Firemen like sirens. I go out, they are in the truck looking at the chimney, no smoke, no fire they said. I said there were two fireplaces two chimneys. The "fireman scramble!" Funny!
One or two more little shots of water fire was out, stayed out. Firemen checked the attic, stove etc, ok. Stove cooled. Chimney sweep next day fixed me up, chimney too.

Forest Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #17
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I am happy to hear, that like me, Motrin plays a big part in your wood cutting venture. Don't leave home without it!!
dieselclacker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 PM   #18

I have heated our house (about 1800 square feet) with a Quadra Fire Wood Stove. This is a manufactured home we had built about 15 years ago and had the builder put in as much insulation as possible so the house is very well insulated. Winter temps will get down into the 20's and some times colder. Have had to open a door or window because it sometimes heats us out of the house.

I use about 3 cords each year. I cut it, split, stack it and use Motrin as mentioned above.

Wood Stoves | Wood Burning Stove Products#
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:00 PM   #19
Our house was custom built 8 years ago with a Yucon Eagle wood furnace in the basement. It is combined with the gas furnace for back up but we use wood exclusively. It heats our 4000 sq ft homes nicely. Great technology, look it up on the net.
Mo Fred, South Central Missouri
1990 32' Barth Regency
8.3 CTA Cummins, 4 Speed Allison
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #20
My new Jotul F500

Very happy with this stove. Looks great and cranks out heat!
Too bad it's nearly 70F outside,

And I can't get this first image to rotate from my phone...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151201_181041.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	114129   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151201_180727.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	114130  

2013 Winnebago 2301BH-Red
2012 Ram 2500 Megacab HO CTD
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We had a wood burning fireplace that was hooked into the hot water baseboard heating, that thing had more levers and pipes than we knew what to do with. So we removed them all and installed a St. Croix pellet stove. When we had an issue with our oil burner (actually the the supply from the tank) we ran it almost exclusively for 2 years and it helped heat 3000 square feet of the 4000 sq ft house. We went through about 70 bags of pellets (40# each), and keep in mind....I work from home so it ran nearly 24/7.
Lynn & Andy Dudish
2005 Winnebago Adventurer
Kar Kaddy with MINI Cooper
On the Road with 7 cats and a lovebird!
LynnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
We had a Quadra-Fire wood stove that came in our house. Used it for many years. 2600 sq ft and the home furnace never kicked on when the stove was burning.
Wood cutting permits, chopping, stacking, and the mess became tiring in my old age.
Before last winter, we sold the log burner and had an Enviro pellet stove installed. It does not put out as much heat as the old stove, but the home furnace still won't kick on unless the outside temps dip into the teens and below.
Splitting and stacking is so much easier! The pellet stove does take a little more maintenance, and there are more things that can go wrong with them. Shut her down, scrape and vacume the burn pot every 3-4 days. If you like to tinker on stuff like I do, replacing a blower motor or sensor looks easy.
We love the pellet burner. So much cleaner too.

From this

To this
2006 Four Winds 5000 Class C
Either Pulling a Jeep Wrangler or a 20' Boat
TJDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #23
Damon Owners Club
I've switched form cast iron to a hybird soapstone...love it! heat my whole house (2200ft2). burn 3 cords of wood. The heat off the soapstone is a softer heat, you will know if you go from a cast iron to one of these. good luck on what you decide...Merry Christmas.

link...PHOENIX 8612 | Wood Stoves | Hearthstone Stoves
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #24
Solo Rvers Club
I live in an area where electric is a maybe during any time of the year. I live in a house built in the mid-fifties. The fireplace was laid out for heating kettles. It has vents on both sides that produce heat. Think back to the forties or older. I know three big oak logs can heat the place to 90 degrees when it is 20 below zero out there.

I do wonder if the newer stuff can do that.
2011 Four Winds Chateau 28A
Ford E350
2012 Honda CRV
NRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #25
Just my $.02 pesos. I am on a forum related to Alaska called Alaska Outdoors and many of the members talk highly of the BlazeKing stoves. Particularly the "King" model. Seems like the brand to get up there.

BTW, if you are looking to heat your home with a wood stove i assume you can have some nasty winters or maybe some inclement weather at times. Keep in mine that if you go with a pellet stove you need to have electricity in order for it to work. If you have ice storms or other electrical outages during bad/cold weather your stove will not work. Wood stove would be the way to go.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:48 PM   #26

When my mother in law was getting up in years (younger than I am now) she was feeble and was heating primarily with wood. We decided a pellet stove would be good for her because she wouldn't have to deal with large pieces of wood and we were in the process of buying one when the salesman suggested using gas. Natural gas was available at her house. He said better for her that she didn't have to carry bags of pellets, clean the stove, etc. so we bought her a gas stove that looked like a fire place and was controlled with a wall thermostat. She thought it was great and it was great for her.

Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote