Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Wood Stoves

Who's got one and what is it? What do you like/dislike?

Trying to gather some information on different brands and experiences in the real world. I've read a lot online and probably buying a Jotul F500... for the house, not the RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Lots of folks around here are going to pellet stoves instead of wood stoves. If you have a free supply of wood that may the way to go but if you have to buy wood the pellet stove may be a better choice.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:44 AM   #3

Just don't buy a stove made out of wood. They don't last!!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
You must be "board".
Old 11-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
We have had a Fisher Grandpa model (two front doors) since 1979 when we first built this house. For several years we heated with nothing but this stove. I added a gasket to the doors and a damper in the pipe going to the chimney. I cannot begin to estimate the amount of wood that has gone through this thing. All of it my son and I cut and split - all logged on my own property. I has been nothing but a bonus and there have been no problems as it is so simple there is nothing to go wrong. There is a couple of fire bricks in the box that have broken, but that is all.
I have a nice fire going right now as I write this. The new furnace I have just installed last year died when the squirrels ate the neutral off the outside transformer, killing the motor and a few other items inside the house. This ole heater is still going strong. Hope the heating and air guy gets the new motor in today and can install it this PM
Old 11-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #6

Thanks Doc. That's exactly the kind of experience I'm hoping for with a stove... (not the furnace!).
Good luck with the repair. Bet you're glad to have that stove!
Old 11-24-2015, 08:52 PM   #7

We have been heating our house with wood for over 30 years now. We had a free standing vermont castings stove for 25 years then the wife wanted something prettier.
We then got a very nice looking cast iron insert. While it looks better you can't compare how the free standing heated with all the heat radiating off it.
Our furnace is 40 years old still running great but it is hardley ever used. We burn about seven to eight cords of wood a year.
If you can get wood cheap or free it's the way to go. Around here they are getting between $225.00 & $250.00 a cord for seasoned hard wood.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #8

Lopi is another good brand. Had one in our Bako house used it for 20 years, no problems

Saw a stove a fireman had, don trembler the brand but he got it so hot the top warped. Buy a good brand.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
We burn about seven to eight cords of wood a year.
If you can get wood cheap or free it's the way to go. Around here they are getting between $225.00 & $250.00 a cord for seasoned hard wood.
Wow, 7-8 cords a year! Where do you keep all that? Or just get it delivered in batches?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Wow, 7-8 cords a year! Where do you keep all that? Or just get it delivered in batches?
We have a 50'x18' wrap around covered porch that is 52" high to the bottom of the floor joist that we poured a concrete slab under. Getting up their in age and is getting harder and harder to stack under there.
We will then stack 1/2 cord at a time ontop of deck to burn. The fella I get wood from has so much he justs wants to rid of it. I get a truck load of between 2-1/4-2-1/2 cords for $200.00. That is a bargain around here.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:58 AM   #11

We're full time now, but when we were living in S&B's we always had some kind of a wood burner. At one time we had a wood burning furnace that was hooked into the duct work, it was outstanding, used about 7 cords a winter, but I had the use of a lot of wooded property to cut & split my own. Then the next home we had built I had a huge fireplace insert that was actually bricked into the fireplace. The airspace around it was filled with sand which when hot, stayed hot for hours even when I had put out the fire. In our third home I put in a pellet stove, and I will say that thing really put out some heat. The home was a split foyer, and the stove was downstairs. The heat would rise up the stairs and heat the whole upstairs. I kept the ceiling fans running to circulate the heat. The nice thing about the pellet stove is I didn't have to cut, haul, split, and stack wood anymore. Getting too old to do that anyway. And it's a lot cleaner. I'd burn about a ton of pellets during the winters in Maryland. We're having a home built outside Myrtle Beach, and will probably put in another pellet stove as soon as I find out how cold it gets here in S.C.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:25 AM   #12

Anyone ever check out a rocket mass stove?

Wife's brother in law said parents have one. Went from burning 6 cords a year to 1/2 cord a year.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 AM   #13

Oh, might add that the brother in laws' parents live in the U.P. of Michigan.
BandSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandSA View Post
Anyone ever check out a rocket mass stove?

Wife's brother in law said parents have one. Went from burning 6 cords a year to 1/2 cord a year.
Wow, that's a big difference.
The newer stoves are every efficient.

I've purchased a Jotul F500. Great looking stove and rated at 70k BTU, so it should do a great job for us. I've read a lot and can barely find anything negative about it.
Really excited to get it installed next week.