Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
World's Greatest LED Rope Lights

...are the one's that your neighbor turns off in the evening. What's up with leaving outdoor lights on all night long?

Here we are, in the beautiful Sonoran desert. The nights are cool making for perfect sleeping weather. The only problem is that your neighbor has LED rope lights outlining the ground around their rig that stay on 24/7. My bedroom is lit up all night like its daytime.

Here are two perfect solutions for less than $15 for folks that want to run outdoor lights but don't know how to turn them off when they go to bed. First is the simple programmable timer, here's a link to an outdoor model on Amazon. Second is the one I use for my chili pepper lights on my awning, here's a link, it has a cool little remote that will turn the lights on and off from 50' away and works great.

One other night lighting tip, also for under $15, for those who just want a porch light on for safety. Here is a link to a great motion sensor light with a little solar panel on the top so you don't have to worry about running wiring or changing batteries. I have one by my door and one on the awning over the barbecue. They give off a dim light when there is no motion and when you get within 10' it turns on nice and bright and stays on as long as there is movement.

So this is my attempt to get my neighbor to turn off their lights at night (which I know won't work and I'll be even more angry at 3:00 tomorrow morning). They have obviously been here all winter and I am just rolling through for a 2 week stay so I'm not real comfortable asking the guy to turn off his lights. Anyway, I look around the park and lots of other people do the same thing. On a practical level its just plain wasteful, what is the purpose for leaving the light on?

Perhaps a campaign to the park owners to make another park rule, since in many cases they are the ones paying the electric bill. I would love to hear any other suggestions for ways to address this problem.

Do others feel the same way or is it just me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #2
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
IF they are LED's, I doubt the "it's costing you more" angle with the park owner will get you far. It probably doesn't cost enough to worry about to them, to the tune of pennies. Their bill is in the thousands.

bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #3

Some people use the lights to discourage pack rats and other nocturnal rodents from chewing wires or trying to enter the coach at night.
Selah2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
Some people use the lights to discourage pack rats and other nocturnal rodents from chewing wires or trying to enter the coach at night.
X2 that's what I have read and been told before as well.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
For me, motion lights going on and off when a pack rat or any other varmint comes near the rig is a better solution than a persistent light. But, what do I know... other than in the case stated, the cure has some some pretty annoying side effects.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
That's why mine are on at night. And it doesn't have to be in the desert. I lived in a residential community - and would sit in the backyard by the pool at dusk and watch rats run the fence line. That was my signal to put the little blue pool chock looking rat bates on the fence. The next day - gone. Rats - pack rats - mice - possums - coons - and even bobcats were seem to climb right up out of the storm drains in a town. They will find your coach in the desert - country - forest and even the city.

I here the light complaint from time to time and yet my MCD shades have my coach so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face in the bedroom at night and the park neighbors think we go to bed when the sun goes down. No light in or out. Good shades and rope lights are cheaper than replacing wires and removing varmint stench from your rolling home.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
For me, motion lights going on and off when a pack rat or any other varmint comes near the rig is a better solution than a persistent light.
LOL! Then guys here would be complaining it's like a "disco in the desert!" All those flashing lights.

On a more serious note, I've seen pack rat damage first hand being in the Insurace Restoration industry. Pack rats are nasty creatures for causing damage. Most of it where you can't see it or get to it.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, where would be the best location to install rope lights to deter rats and other varmints from damaging our motor home? It will be stored outside for about three months, beginning March 1st. Any other worthwhile tips for critter deterrent would be much appreciated. Electrical power is available at the intended parking site.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:24 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
World's Greatest LED Rope Lights

Ok, points taken. We've never had rodent problems in all our years camping but this is our first year snowbirding... so is this mostly a winter desert issue? Do the rope lights need to be on the ground to be most effective or will they work just as well attached to the underside of the coach?
Old 02-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
And... I still think they are annoying at night. If I were to decide to go this route to prevent rodent damage I would do my best to keep direct light from hitting my neighbors windows and they would be turned off during daylight hours.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:12 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandG-Fun View Post
And... I still think they are annoying at night. If I were to decide to go this route to prevent rodent damage I would do my best to keep direct light from hitting my neighbors windows and they would be turned off during daylight hours.
Do you leave your night shades up at night? Even before the MCD shades - my accordion night shades kept the light out pretty well.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to hammer55
if your having a problem with rodents then why not mount them underneath the coach out of shine of others would be a perfect place, that way it does not shine in others coach or trailer
Old 02-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
OK... so I did a quick iRV2 search and for anyone like me that was unaware of the problem in the Arizona desert with pack rats, this is a pretty good thread.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Glenn,
I agree with you 100%. I don't believe in leaving lights on all night long Either.
We were just discussing this the other night. I said you've lived here for 15 years if you can't walk thru the house @ night without tripping over the couch or Coffee table you better give up!!!

Look what I found at the Sportsman show last month. Work better than the deville for climbing like you guys do...
Just Saying,
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1925.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	84854   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1926.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	84855