Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Question Worst Experience with Class A or 5th Wheel

The age old question - do we buy a Class A or a 5th Wheel when we go full-time. Everyone has an opinion but I'd like to hear about your worst experience with either. Whether it's parking or driving or repairs or anything. Maybe your brush with with disaster will help us decide. FYI, we currently have a Class A, 32' Fleetwood Terra. Thanks to all who answer.

DPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
For us a class A was the way to go. We just needed a place to sleep while at our little place on a local River and to be able to drive it out if there was a flood there. It seemed too much to have to buy a camper AND buy a heavy duty vehicle to pull it so we got an old used unit for $3800 off of craigslist.org. We plan to upgrade when I retire and will trade our house and the old RV for a newer unit to full-time it and we intend to stick with a motor home then, also..

1982 CrossCountry - NW Indiana
Ford Electrician
Built WITHOUT your tax dollars!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
I had to go the way my finances would let me. A coach and no spending money to enjoy it with or a fifthwheel and money to enjoy it with--seemed like a no brainer. I would love to have a coach but the more I read about the maintenance, registration and insurance cost the happier I am with my 5er. I must admit that when I look at the pictures of the coaches I still feel a little envy and dream of the day I can post pictures of my coach----"It could happen!"
Thane & Sharon
shortlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:59 PM   #4
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To tow a 5th wheel large enough to full time in you will need a heavy duty truck/pickup. If you want to do any sight seeing when you get to your destination you will have to deal with driving/parking it. True you will only have one motorized vehicle to maintain.

Driving a Class A you can tow a smaller vehicle to scout around the local area when you get there. Much easier to park/drive in cities and other crowded areas.

A Class A allows you to be able to use all of the facilities (bathroom, kitchen & etc) without having to go outside. If you get stuck in a traffic jam it's nice to have a sandwich or go to the bathroom while everybody else is squirming in their cars. Also with a Class A if you travel with pets you will have room for them to ride where you can keep an eye on them.

With a 5th wheel if you want to use the facilities you have to stop, get out of the tow vehicle and enter the 5th wheel. During inclement weather it can cause some inconveniences.

Jon & Sue Francis (Retired U.S.A.F.)
Lil Girl-Rescued, Abby Rescued, Peaches Rescued
06 Allegro 35TSA Workhorse Chassis
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Sorry--I started to ramble on and never answer your question.
This is our only RV we ever owned so its a little hard to compare it to a coach but the plus side of a 5er for me would be of coarse the maintenance cost is very low plus the purchase price. Even with a new 350 dually we only have about $90,000 invested in our 39 ft 5er and TV. If the truck breaks down we still have the 5er to live in. Set up is not that much of a hassel after you do it a few times and get into a routeen. Storage in a 5er is fantasic. Towing the 5er isn't a big deal although I think driving a coach would be a lot easyer and the BIG one for me would be not having to run back to the 5er every time you needed a pit stop. A 5er is good for extended stays but not real great for just overnite stops.
Like I said--I never had a coach so this is a one sided look at things.
Thane & Sharon
shortlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
I love our MH for the increase in luxury, space and convenience already mentioned - but for longer term stays in a full-time situation, I'd take a 5th wheel any day...

Fact is, in the morning we'll be taking our KIT 5er for a week-long trip up into Washington - this will allow us the truck for side trips...

John Day....|'88 Winnebago Super Chief 27ft. Class A
Eastern .....|'88 KIT model 240 24 ft. 5er
Oregon ......|'02 Dodge/Cummins 2500 Quad Cab
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote