Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Worthless info from Seajay

I know you guys dont need this information but I want you to do this for me anyhow.

Most of us have a GPS unit in our coach/toad that we use most of the time when we go traveling. On and in this GPS unit is some valuable information for thieves and people that will take your stuff while you aint home. I will ask everyone to take their GPS and remove your HOME ADDRESS FROM THE GPS. For reference to your home put a house number that is at least a block away from our house. In my GPS I have the address of the police station here in my home town. People will steal these things for the info inside them and if they get one out of your car while you are at a football game or a car race they can easily figure when you should be home and they can judge the time they have to rob you blind.
Also,,,,,,, On the back of your credit cards there is a place for your to sign the card. DO NOT SIGN THE CARD. Instead write.... SEE PHOTO I.D. and if you lose your wallet or it gets stolen the credit card will be harder to use because their photo i.d. will not match the card.
I know that at least five people will check this out on Snopes or ''Truth or Bullship'' or whatever and come back and tell me that this is Bogus info but if it will save just one of you guys from getting ripped off, I will be happy.

Be nice to a vet..... They volunteered to die for you if necessary...
think about it.......
see my Blog at .... My Life as I remember it and other boaring stuff

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
Actually, that is very good advice.

Adding to that, I never give out my home address whenever possible. I always give out my mailing address. One example how my home address could be abused is when I use a motel (don't be shocked!). Thieves are willing to pay for information on an address that is most likely to be unoccupied for a given period of time.

LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kind of common sense, IF you think about it.

All my cards have "See I.D." written in the signature block. Sometimes they don't ask and that makes me a little uncomfortable.

I just have the "City Center" programed into my gps. I figure once I get into my town I know where I'm going.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post

I just have the "City Center" programed into my gps. I figure once I get into my town I know where I'm going.
Now whom else but a Marine would have this kind of logic and if you can not find your house you can ask someone one where you live...... right Wayne......... ping ....... lol ......

God bless our Marine Corps and all those that defend this country.

Seajay the sailor man .......
Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
Good advise on the GPS, thanks. The only problem on the credit card issue is 99% of the time no one looks at the back for a signature.

Keep posting Seajay, love the info and insights.
crtrrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:31 AM   #6
Seajay, when you speak to a Marine, you remind me of this .....................

|General McKenzie was in charge of the Navy, and he was visiting his colleague General Marshall, who was in charge of the Marines.

McKenzie arrives at the military camp and is greeted by Marshall. They both walk around the place, and McKensie asks: "So how are your men?

""Very well trained, Gral. McKenzie. ""I hope so. You see, my men over at the Navy are so well trained, you could see they're the bravest men all over the country. "

"Well, my men are very brave, too. ""I'd like to see that. "So Marshall calls private Johnson and says: "Private Johnson! I want you to stop that tank coming here with your body!

""Are you crazy? It'd kill me, you idiot! I'm out of here!"

As private Johnson ran away, Marshall turned to a bewildered McKenzie and said:

"You see? You have to be pretty brave to talk like that to a general. "
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
This is great info. Thanks for the heads up.
tims52ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I think and ex-wife/husbands address would be a good location for the GPS.
Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:40 AM   #9
Fleetwood Owners Club
Note to mick the Marine. You are a ''mess'' fella, you kinda remind me of ''ME'' sometimes.......
Thank you for your service to my country ....
God bless the Marine Corps. and all service persons that gave part of their life to this great nation. (Wayne says you are his baby brother.... is that right?) (cough cough)
Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owners Club
Good advice Seajay. I have for years written "Ask for picture ID" in the signature space on my credit cards. I would also recommend not carrying your medicare card in your wallet because it has your social security number on it. I think some non thinking bureaucrat had a brain flatulence when he/she required the social security number on the card. When I questioned not carrying the card in my wallet DW suggested I tell the healthcare provider (at the time of service) my social security number. Fortunately I have not had a chance to test her theory yet.
2005 Suncruiser
Banks Powerpack
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is another reason why full timing is so great - no home address.

I do put the location of the current RV park in my GPS so that I can find my way back but it is not specific down our site.
Doug Sage
Full timers roaming the good old US of A
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Seajay, most of what you post is useless, or at the most marginally useful , but you got this right LOL. Keep them coming.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
While it is always to have cash handy, if you visit the US Post Office with a CC that says something to the effect of "see ID" on the signature line they will not allow you to use that card. Is this stupid or what? If you bring in a stolen CC that the owner signed they will accept it without question. However, if you use a card that says CID and provide positive ID they will not accept it. Go figure!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:21 AM   #14
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Seajay--Hello from a fellow North Carolinan----I have been reading your posts since we joined the formum and will tell you that I REALLY enjoy them!!! There are times when I am reading them that I just have to go and share the laugh with my husband. By the way--thanks for the blog link---I have started reading from there because being a new member I had missed most of these. PLEASE keep the stories coming!!!! Hopefully we will be able to meet up with you and Willa---would love to meet you guys!

By the way----thanks for sharing this advise---I have been doing this for a while now and like some of the others said---it is amazing how hardly no one ask for your ID---I think I have had one person ask for mine (and would you believe I had left my wallet in the car and had to go back out and get my license )

SkiPat is offline   Reply With Quote