Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Worthwhile info....

We have a two door Dometic refrigerator #NDR1292 but I guess this will work for any refrigerator with a thermostat ''thingie''....

We were in Florida for four months this winter and our ''warm side'' of the refrigerator would get frost all over the fin coils in the back of the unit. My Willa would turn off the refrigerator for a while and let the ''frost'' soften and dissolve on the ''fins'' in the back of the unit and then turn it back on and all was well.
Two days before we decided to come home she informed me that the refrigerator was not ''acting right''. She told me that the freezer side of the unit seems to be working fine but the ''warm side'' of the unit had stopped cooling. We have thermometers in both sides of the unit and the one in the freezer was down around 25 degrees and the one in the other side was up to about fifty. I said SHUX.. I switched the unit over from AC to GAS to see if that made a difference. NO CHANGE... I said SHUX AGAIN.. I got out my information on the unit and started reading and I got on the innernet for information also. I contacted one company and they told me that the ''pipes'' on the back of the unit were probably stopped up and I would need a replacement ''coil'' ($1100.00) plus shipping. I said SHUX REAL LOUD...... I called another person that sells coils on E bay and explained what my situation was concerning the unit and he told me that ''Someone has moved your thermostat''........''Moved my thermostat''......''WHERE IS THE THERMOSTAT''.... He continued to explain that on the ''fins'' in the ''warm side'' of the refrigerator I should look on the ''outside right fin'' and there is a plastic ''thingie'' with a long wire that goes thru the back wall of the unit. THIS IS THE THERMOSTAT and to make the unit colder on both sides, I SHOULD SLIDE THIS ''THINGIE'' UP TOWARD THE TOP OF THE FIN AND SEE WHAT HAPPENED. I did and the unit on both sides got colder. The ''freezer side'' went down to about 10 degrees cold and the ''warm side'' went down to about 30 degrees. B I N G O... I confronted My Willa about this and she told me that ''When the frost got soft on the fins, SHE USED THE LITTLE PLASTIC THINGIE TO SCRATCH IT OFF SO SHE WOULD NOT DAMAGE THE FINS and she would simply ''STICK IT BACK ON THE LAST FIN WITHOUT REGARD TO PLACEMENT''..
I want it known that I love this lady with all my heart but really nasty thoughts went thru my mind for a while but I resisted my primal urges because that Prison Orange and those Stripes makes me look so fat.

I now have the area marked with Magic Marker as to the location of the thermostat ''thingie'' on the last fin. I have also informed My Willa that if she uses the thermostat ''thingie'' for a scraper again that really bad things could happen between us. She looked at me with those Big Brown Eyes and a quivering bottom lip and said she was sorry. How can you not forgive that????????

Anyhow, if your refrigerator has a ''thingie'' on the fins I would strongly advise you to warn your dear wife not to move it and I would advise you to MARK WHERE IT LOCATED because this valuable information will cost you ten cents if you use it and you must pay me the next time you see me. On the other hand. IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU...... I NEVER KNEW YOU...

Everybody that is ready for our troops to come back home... RAISE YOUR HAND. (Either one will do. That is for our Marine friends so they wont have to make a hard decision)..PING..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Allrite I marked mine and I have a dime in my pocket, so just to be sure when I see you that it's you... Funny Pictures at WalMart Always Come Prepared (Seajay as posted in another post!)

Old 03-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #3

Seajay it is named a "thermistor". Yes moving it up for colder and down for warmer, and moving it one fin to the left(repeat thermistor movement) makes it even colder. It takes 24 hrs. for complete temperature equalization. This is for refigerators that do not have a thermistor temperature adjustment on the PC board.
If your cooling unit does fail I would not purchase an OEM replacement. This company http://www.rvcoolingunit.net/servlet/StoreFront
makes a much higher quality unit IMO. It is made by Amish in N. Indiana.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tks Ray. I spoke to these people for information concerning my problem.
FYI. Here is a guy on E Bay that sells the same unit for less than half the price with a five year warantee and free shipping. I talked to him about the problem and he told me about the ''thermostat'' thingie .....
DOMETIC & NORCOLD COOLING UNITS BEST PRICE ON EBAY!! - eBay (item 280650843719 end time Apr-01-11 21:30:36 PDT)

Nice guy and I believe his name was Dave. tks for the info.....
Be safe my brother vet. God bless you for your service to my country .......
Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey guys
Thanks for the info and the links.
I have not had any problems with the refer in our RV but the one in our Cargo trailer smells of ammonia if I were to fix it to use it for adult beverages I know where to get the parts.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Note to w6pea........ Since you are going to obviously use my information and the information supplied by my friend Ray, In. Instead of the customary ten cents for this valuable information from the two of us, you can pay me and Ray with an adult beverage, around a campfire, with marshmellows, and or hot dogs, and lots of ''sea stories'', with laughter and a few lies and lots of B.S. about what we did way back when we was young and dumb and full of ''uh, uh, curiosity?'' and stuff like that, and if you dont pay us we will come over and ''peeeeeee'' on your campfire.

Semper Fi my brother and thank you for your service to my country.

God bless our troops and keep them safe.......
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Seajay - there are no such thing as lies - only sea stories - some just bigger than others. My retired bubblehead tells some big ones - sea stories that is. Not saying whether your advise was taken or not.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post

We were in Florida for four months this winter and our ''warm side'' of the refrigerator would get frost all over the fin coils in the back of the unit. My Willa would turn off the refrigerator for a while and let the ''frost'' soften and dissolve on the ''fins'' in the back of the unit and then turn it back on and all was well.

I confronted My Willa about this and she told me that ''When the frost got soft on the fins, SHE USED THE LITTLE PLASTIC THINGIE TO SCRATCH IT OFF SO SHE WOULD NOT DAMAGE THE FINS and she would simply ''STICK IT BACK ON THE LAST FIN WITHOUT REGARD TO PLACEMENT''
Seajay & Wife,

Due to the humidity in Florida, those rear fins will frost up frequently. I use a heat gun to quickly melt the frost into water and it drains away into the tray and out the drain tube. You can use a hair dryer too.

I also use two pairs of cooling fans attached to the rear fins to help distribute the cold air around the interior. Those fans seem to do a good job in keeping the frost off of the fins too. Photos attached.

My "thingy" is metal and hangs on the #2 fin midway down as shown in the photo.

Only my humble opinion, suggestion and idea.

If you do go forth with this mission, should you decide to accept it, if anything is harmed or broken, I will disavow any knowledge off your actions. This idea will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold Internal Fan-4.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	9114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold Internal Fan-1.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	9115  

Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Note to Dr4Film.. Richard. Looks like you are one step ahead of me on the ''fan thingie''.. I just found them on E Bay and ordered one for my coach. Total cost with shipping was about 18 dollars but it beats the heck out of the battery powered fan we are using now. Many thanks for your input on this and I am sure the other 3 people that read my posts will benefit from your information.
Remind me that I O U ten cents for your input and I will pay you the next time I see you.......

I am so proud to have been a tiny part of the greatest fighting force in the world. THE UNITED STATES NAVY. God bless our troops and bring them home really soon......
Old 03-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seajay,
Please pass this on to Willa.
It is not necessary for her to defrost the fins. Here is what she needs to do.

• Put a chair in front of the refrigerator with the door open.
  • Sit you down in the chair and have you just read aloud some of your posts, or just have you talk to Gypsy about her problem.
  • The hot air you expel will more than defrost a refrigerator.
Make no mistake. Both hands are in the air.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wayne my friend, the day I start takin' you ''serious'' is the day I give up on posting here on IRV2. You are one of the few Marines that can ''give a Ping to me'' just about as good as you can ''take a Ping from me''. I tell you this old buddy.... The day you stop throwin' 'nades' at me I will figure you are either DEAD or you have ''come un-trained'' and forgot how to type and I kinda lean toward the second one about you comin' un-trained.

You know how Marines are, they have to be re-trained on a regular basis or they forget how to march and feed themselves with a fork. In all honesty my friend, the day you stop ''being a Marine'' I will figure you are really mad at me and God knows I would never seriously(for real) do anything to insult (talk bad to) you or deliberately (for real) demean (run down) you in any way and I seriously (for real) hope that the folks that read our banter (talk) never take us seriously ( ''for real'') that we are actually mad at each other because everyone knows that us Sailors really need OUR MARINES. Without OUR MARINES someone would be sure to steal every ''gate'' on all our fine bases and Our Gangways (steps) would disappear (go poof) and all our Chow Lines would become tangled (messed up) and in a dis-orderly fashion (mucked up) and we would have great difficulty (real hard) times getting fed. And another thing..... Who would tote our officers baggage and fetch coffee for them. Not the ARMY... Oh No. They would spill everything... Not the Air Force. Good Greef, they need computers to do anything and everything.

I can rest easy my friend just knowing you got my back regardless and me the same for you.........
Be safe my brother Marine and thanks for your service to this great nation...
Nuff Said I guess...
Old 04-01-2011, 05:33 AM   #12

I'm a Bubblehead Swabbie Puke AND a member of the Marine Corps League.
Oh, the fun.

And, with thanks to God I'm happy to say, the banter will never stop.

If you ain't lived it, you don't know it.

Semper Fi and hold your bubble.

rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote