Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
This thread appears in so many other posts, but disguised as different issues . Everyone seems to have their own version of "correct" behavior and they expect everyone else to do exactly that. Ultimately as I read them, it seems like some people who are annoyed at other people may be happier if they could camp alone, in a completely private campground all to themselves, but of course with 50 amp service, sewer, and a super friendly staff to guide their one customer into their vacant campground. The staff shouldn't ignore them, but shouldn't visit too often either. Staff must be able to read minds to know what's the appropriate behavior. Wow..the list of staff requirements will get long.

If anyone finds this place please let us know. It may take a 73year wait to make a reservation, given the one-guest-at-a-time requirement.

Loud music after quiet hours, dogs off leash pooping on our sites, or similar behaviors that can't easily be ignored (like by drawing a shade or repositions a fireside seat) I can understand. In most cases the civil thing to do is politely ask for compassion, followed by a call to park management.

Otherwise, if it's possible to live and let live, that's my policy. Everyone's out there for the same reason--to enjoy themselves. But thankfully we aren't all carbon copies of each other, else the world would be a rather boring place.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 07:50 AM   #16

"would it be rude to tell them....."

Yes, I suppose based upon your approach it could be rude:

" Hey you idiot! Turn those ........."

Or the direct person to person approach would be my choice:

" I couldn't help but notice at night, that the side of your RV is covered with spiders and I see rodents must be attracted to the blue light cast on the ground. Weird eh?? Would you like a beer? "

Or you could always default to what appears to be the norm. Go to the Office and insist that management make it another grounds rule, which would impact everyone in the park; yes even those that aren't being intrusive to their own neighbours.

Good luck, have fun!!
dannyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:10 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We camp a lot in campgrounds with mixed tents and RV's. One evening around 10PM we were outside enjoying the fire and a couple stopped by and requested we turn our patio light off as it was shining right into their tent. We gladly obliged. The next day we had a nice conversation with them as our kids played together.

IMHO it's part of camping to be considerate and would not hesitate to politely ask a neighbor to stop doing whatever is bothering us. I wouldn't go knocking on their door but would approach them when they were outside like our neighbors did with us.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #18
bap

im one that likes the dark,,,but i belive i would ask my camping nieghbors if my lights were bothering them,,,,if i had those kind of lights......
Old 09-20-2015, 08:31 AM   #19
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
On the rare occasion, the neighbor has had their campfire going late or their outside light or the campgrounds lot light blazing into our bedroom window. The day/night shades aren't enough to quell the glow. Admittedly, it can be difficult to get to sleep, but my simple solution is to hang a heavy bath towel over the valance and window.
Voila! Instant blackout!

Loud partying, dogs barking and kids screaming after lights out, I don't have a problem dealing with it first by asking politely and if no satisfactory result, involving management. Most campgrounds police this themselves after 11:00 PM.

I wouldn't be so brazen as to ask someone across the street to turn off their outside lights so I can enjoy the dark! To me, that's overstepping the limits.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #20

It is " city folks"...

We live in the country about 10 road miles or 5 bird miles from town in an area with .5 to 2.5 acre lots.

Regulars have a yard light or 2 and recent new folks have caused some to add the simple solar powered watch lights that activate on movement.

These are dim lit (like me) and get bright with movement and they are handy.

City folks move in and have bright lights all over the place as that is what their city habits are due to the need in the city to ward off bad guys.

One neighbor still has lights 360 around their house and it has been a couple years. ..usually they figure it out sooner.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:30 AM   #21

Thanks for all the great responses. Again I guess I would not have minded them that much if the owners were outside under their lights enjoying the evening.

Thanks for all you input.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah2 View Post
We like being considerate to other campers and try to live by the golden rule.
Those with all the gold make the rules?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
So my question is would it be rude if you were their neighbor to tell them to turn them off ? Do any of you have lights like that ?
Just wondering.
Hi Gene and Ginger,

I would ask, politely - or leave - turns out I leave a lot. As previously mentioned on this thread, people's behavior can be pretty amazing sometimes. Sometimes it's just forgetting to leave the light on. I like the dark, I love the stars. However; I have camped with some older friends that really do need a light on to get around. So, I try to put myself the other persons shoes first. However; I do have a hard time understanding how lighting up a ten square mile area while being fast asleep or inside watching TV is "needed".
Old 09-20-2015, 01:15 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statgeek View Post
Loud music after quiet hours, dogs off leash pooping on our sites, or similar behaviors that can't easily be ignored (like by drawing a shade or repositions a fireside seat) I can understand.
Ha! Now that is funny. Why is putting ear plugs in any different than having to stop star gazing, go inside, and draw the shades??

Just being argumentative, sorry.

It is interesting hearing people's comments on what they think is ok and what is not. FYI: I dislike ANY noise (including loud music/TV's), generators, barking, screaming, etc...
Old 09-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
We just went camping with some friends whom we hadn't seen in a while. He had added new LED light strips under his awning. He proudly showed me how they are dimmable and can change colors. I thought it very nice that we had good lighting when at his site. But then I had to take my dog out for a walk early the next am. I said something about his lights being left on. His comment was that he leaves them on all night, never turns them off. Shocked me. First thought was that I was glad not to be on the wrong side of him and second thought was I would never do that. I asked him why and he said why not? LED doesn't cost much to operate and lasts basically forever. I shut up because he is a friend but I did suggest that he might want to dim them a bit since they lit up half the street. He laughed but I did notice they turned down somewhat.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Many people are using the new led strips under the awning in most cases they are not that bright and a soft glow. I have them on my coach and have left them on overnight. They aren't a bright spotlight and are not even seen other than the glow in the " patio" especially if the awning is extended any amount . I see them as a security feature. It I was in a forest camp site or remote area , I would probably turn them off and if requested I would also do so ... different if it was a blazing spotlight . I'm not "camping" though ,I'm in a RV , my pet pieve is someone with a smoky campfire drifting in my windows all night .. Guess we all have issues. Ask nicely and let it go I say
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:16 PM   #27

We camped at a state park last year and had a great site. At night when we were walking around the park I mentioned to my wife how obnoxious the roadway lighting was in the park, with each sodium vapor light producing this sickening very very bright orange glow illuminating a circle for a hundred feet or more in all directions. Those lights were clearly lighting up all RV's in the circle of light. My wife asked why we were mercifully left in the dark when there was a light standard right outside the coach. I looked up at the light and saw someone had shimmed up the pole and wrapped aluminum foil all around the globe, then removed a small section so it would shine out onto the street, but left the campsite dark!

We did mention the horrible lighting to the park ranger and he simply said "Some fool somewhere thought these were a good idea. Probably never camped a day in their lives, the fools".
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:57 PM   #28

If the neighbour who comes over to ask me to turn my lights off isnt wearing a shirt would it be rude for me to ask that he put a shirt on?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote