Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Would love feedback on "home address"

information. I rent but when I set out on my RV trips I am keeping my rental as a home-base. Does anyone know how traveling out for a week to a month (maybe longer but not much) affects your "home" State status? I mean regarding voting, mailing address, insurance (car and health). I know that's a lot of questions to ask but I want to keep everything straight and definitely legal. Do I only need my Oregon Driver's License for example, to travel most of the year and just come home for a day or two to check in on things?

Thank you much, Denise

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nice problem to have isn't it

Shouldn't affect anything other than you aren't there !

I'd say as long as you have an 'address' , that is your home address !!!
and your drivers license is all that is needed !

voting - do absentee by mail works even for us legal voters...

mail forwarding needed or do you want them just to hold the mail ?

When we worked overseas way back when, sold all our 'stuff' including the house!

worked there a few years without any idea of when/if we would come back to the states...

and when we cam back, the state said we owed income taxes for the time we were over there ?!? so they inferred we had not left...

(but a bit of research and we got out of the taxes, which were hefty )

Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #3

Most states consider you as a resident if you are there for at least 183 days a year. Where do you earn your income? Where does your family live? Where are your physicians, social clubs, churches, etc.? The biggie usually is where is your drivers license from and where do you vote.

If you are a "fulltimer" then you may want to look at what state is the most advantageous for you. Many seem to prefer South Dakota or Texas. For some reason most seem to shy away from NY, CA, MA, and other similar tax till you drop states.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
information. I rent but when I set out on my RV trips I am keeping my rental as a home-base. Does anyone know how traveling out for a week to a month (maybe longer but not much) affects your "home" State status?
Doesn't affect it at all. The Post Office will only hold mail for 30 days, so if you're going to make a longer trip, you'll have to decide how you want to handle your mail. But for trips shorter than 30 days, you can just have the Post Office hold your mail.
Quote:
Do I only need my Oregon Driver's License for example, to travel most of the year and just come home for a day or two to check in on things?
So are you going to travel for "a week to a month" or are you going to travel "most of the year?"

If you're going to travel most of the year, only coming home for short periods of time, then your mail situation will require something other than the Post Office.

If you have a trusted relative, friend, or neighbor who would be willing to handle your mail, you could continue having mail delivered at your house and have the relative/friend/neighbor pick it up every day. They could throw away the junk mail and let you know via email what mail is waiting for you. You can then decide exactly what you want forwarded to you and have them send it to your current location (either an RV park...if they accept visitor mail...or to General Delivery in some small town). You will, of course, leave them a supply of prepaid Priority Mail envelopes.

Alternatively, you could hire the services of a mail forwarder and use this address as your "mailing" address and either have the Post Office forward your mail to this address, or change your address so that your mail is sent directly to the mail forwarder.

And, yes, as long as your domicile remains in Oregon, your Oregon driver's license will be sufficient.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Nice problem to have isn't it

Shouldn't affect anything other than you aren't there !

I'd say as long as you have an 'address' , that is your home address !!!
and your drivers license is all that is needed !

voting - do absentee by mail works even for us legal voters...

mail forwarding needed or do you want them just to hold the mail ?

When we worked overseas way back when, sold all our 'stuff' including the house!

worked there a few years without any idea of when/if we would come back to the states...

and when we cam back, the state said we owed income taxes for the time we were over there ?!? so they inferred we had not left...

(but a bit of research and we got out of the taxes, which were hefty )
ty much! I figured as much but just want to make sure I have things straight. Figures about the IRS. Glad you made it out with your shirt! Geesh!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Most states consider you as a resident if you are there for at least 183 days a year. Where do you earn your income? Where does your family live? Where are your physicians, social clubs, churches, etc.? The biggie usually is where is your drivers license from and where do you vote.

If you are a "fulltimer" then you may want to look at what state is the most advantageous for you. Many seem to prefer South Dakota or Texas. For some reason most seem to shy away from NY, CA, MA, and other similar tax till you drop states.
Great info, thank you for this! denise
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
Doesn't affect it at all. The Post Office will only hold mail for 30 days, so if you're going to make a longer trip, you'll have to decide how you want to handle your mail. But for trips shorter than 30 days, you can just have the Post Office hold your mail.

So are you going to travel for "a week to a month" or are you going to travel "most of the year?"

If you're going to travel most of the year, only coming home for short periods of time, then your mail situation will require something other than the Post Office.

If you have a trusted relative, friend, or neighbor who would be willing to handle your mail, you could continue having mail delivered at your house and have the relative/friend/neighbor pick it up every day. They could throw away the junk mail and let you know via email what mail is waiting for you. You can then decide exactly what you want forwarded to you and have them send it to your current location (either an RV park...if they accept visitor mail...or to General Delivery in some small town). You will, of course, leave them a supply of prepaid Priority Mail envelopes.

Alternatively, you could hire the services of a mail forwarder and use this address as your "mailing" address and either have the Post Office forward your mail to this address, or change your address so that your mail is sent directly to the mail forwarder.

And, yes, as long as your domicile remains in Oregon, your Oregon driver's license will be sufficient.
Yes, my sister will handle my mail for me. Lots of good info you sent me and I did not know about the 30 days or less "holding". That might be the best way to go since we won't be gone more then a month at a time, at least not during our "trial" trips during the Summer.

ty much! denise
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #8

Having the post office hold your mail sounds like a good idea. They will hold mail for up to 30 days, but only twice each year. And then there is always the substitute carrier who does not get the hold message and delivers the mail anyway.

Since we are usually gone an average of one to two weeks each month, I finally just cut a mail slot right through the wall of the house. When we get home, all our mail is in a big tote in the bedroom closet. No more having to stop by the post office to pick up the mail and remembering to cancel the hold on the mail.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #9

Both Suzie and I only rent right now but I am thinking my sister is our best plan. She will keep our mail and has a place for the RV when we come home. She also has 2 extra bedrooms and can use the money to help her out. We have to pay rent to keep a place anyway and renting those rooms of my sis's seems the best plan.

Time will tell but Suzie (my buddy I met about a year ago) is recovering from have a kidney tumor (stage 1 cancer) removed but then she plans to fly out here to Oregon and stay where I'm renting until she buys an RV. We plan to hit the road after the 1st week of June if all goes well. We are just a couple of older ladies with no family to take care of and we are both divorced so we decided to try a Golden Girls deal on wheels, LOL

thank you so much for the info, denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
Having the post office hold your mail sounds like a good idea. They will hold mail for up to 30 days, but only twice each year. And then there is always the substitute carrier who does not get the hold message and delivers the mail anyway.

Since we are usually gone an average of one to two weeks each month, I finally just cut a mail slot right through the wall of the house. When we get home, all our mail is in a big tote in the bedroom closet. No more having to stop by the post office to pick up the mail and remembering to cancel the hold on the mail.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #10

Denise, I admire your spirit. I hope you and Suzie have a blast travelling around the US and Canada. It sounds like you two are ready for adventure!

Enjoy and safe travels to you!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Denise, I admire your spirit. I hope you and Suzie have a blast travelling around the US and Canada. It sounds like you two are ready for adventure!

Ditto

From what you've described, I don't see you having any problems with residency requirements. Keep in mind that most states WANT you as a resident so you won't have to convince Oregon that you're there enough days to still be considered a resident. The only problem could come about if you begin staying over half the year in a specific different state. Said another way... you could run into a problem if you began spending 8 months per year on the California coast and they somehow got wise to it.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #12

Her kids are raised and she is alone, or feels that way, and so do I. She is 55 and I am 60. It's funny but I always hoped I would meet a gal or some gals to have sort of a Golden Girl house just to help each other with the growing older thing. We've really lifted each others spirits and now we both feel we can join up and travel together instead of on our own, which we were both going to do. I for one love meeting new people and seeing new places. I can't see trudging along in a day to day routine for the rest of my life, yuck I can't wait to get out there this Summer and see how it all goes, I am praying hard about it that the lifestyle will just fit like a glove for both of us. I hope neither of us meet some guy and break up the team, Just when a person decides there is no mate for them that's usually when they meet someone. That's what my friends say anyway. I've been single 16 years and Suzie just got out of a bad one about a year ago.

Oh well, too much info, LOL! Guess I just felt like talkin this a.m. We are having a heatwave, it's 39 out here today! Better get out the Summer clothing

Quote:

Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #13

Hi Rick and family!

We won't be out too long at least until August. Then we could decide to go South for the Winter. I don't know if I would change home-States but I might, it will just depend. I have an older sister and I know she will never leave Oregon so I think about her and don't want her to be alone.

Thanks for your reply and it sounds you have a wonderful family to travel with

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Ditto

From what you've described, I don't see you having any problems with residency requirements. Keep in mind that most states WANT you as a resident so you won't have to convince Oregon that you're there enough days to still be considered a resident. The only problem could come about if you begin staying over half the year in a specific different state. Said another way... you could run into a problem if you began spending 8 months per year on the California coast and they somehow got wise to it.

Best of luck.

Rick
Old 01-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
They will hold mail for up to 30 days, but only twice each year.
Can you tell me where you got the information that you can only hold mail twice a year?

There is nothing on the USPS' website that says they'll only do it twice a year:

https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/