Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Would you buy an rv without at least one slide?
Would buy without at least one slide 126 44.68%
Would not buy without at least one slide 156 55.32%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2018, 04:20 PM   #57

Hate slideouts

Slide outs are a problem waiting to happen. I would not buy any RV with the slide out. It weakens the structural integrity of any RV. It may look nice inside but just wait until it jams or leaks and then there is the extra weight you lug around. If you want space like a house buy a house.
Tennis Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #58

I wouldn't buy a motor home with a slide, you loose too much cupboard space and as I
use my coach in the winter I would expect too much problems with the snow and Ice.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:29 PM   #59

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 34' Class A Bounder with no slides. Are slides nicer to have? Yes! However, there are some advantages to not having them and #1 among them is the price of my RV. It'considerably cheaper to buy an older motorhome with no slides, but, it's not as nice. Another advantage is the lighter weight, I'm not sure this is really an advantage but without having the extra weight of a slides and motors for them, my 34' RV has a weight rating of just 15,000 lbs. The other advantage is that over time slides can develop leaks which must be repaired. Most slides are only 3-4 feet but they do make a big difference inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2558.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	223042   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2601.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	223043  

Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #60

Just depends on what you are looking for. I think no slides makes cozier, and closer quarters. That could be seen as a downside. Just harder to get by each other. If not FT’ing, then ok.
FTer&nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #61

I have crossed Canada in a 34 ft pusher with no slides. I have almost circled the USA twice in one with two slides. As long as the rv is completely functional with all slides closed, it gets my vote. I have a cottage completely set up for my rv, and stay there most of the summer. Basically living in the rv without the slide would be much more cramped when company comes over. Just my personal preference.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #62

My next coach will have at least two living area slides

Zzotte
Old 10-18-2018, 05:13 PM   #63

We had a Gemini with one slide and it caused problems. We traded it on a Thor Four Winds 22E with no slides. The floorplan fit our needs and it's one less thing to worry about.
Whales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:14 PM   #64

Purchase RV with no slides? No Way!

You had some good thoughts, especially about resale. When we were looking, we would not look at anything without at least one slide. My sister had a 40' coach with 4 slides and it was amazing. We have 2.

One thing we do not like about ours is that we cannot walk all the way through with the slides in. Do yourself a favor and get one where you can walk through it with slides in. You may need to park in a small place, or just to refill some cabinets or retrieve one little item. It is such a pain to have climb over counters, tables, or beds.

Good luck!!
Nanster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #65
JGW

Slide poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Just wondering what the ratio would be of people who would buy an Mh,TT, fifth wheel etc. that didnt have at least one slide. I personally think resale without the slide would be harder. Cheers
Yes I would.
JGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #66

Would not have one without one. Had FW with only one and was not enough room now our DP has full wall and tow on other side. World of difference!!
Danesrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #67

Spartan Chassis
Slides

Our first class a had two slides. They were great. Our current class a has none. I do not miss the living area slide. It was a wet slide meaning it had plumbing in it that was an extra source of problems. Our navigator not having a living area slide has tons of counter space and storage and plenty of room to move around. I do wish I had a bedroom slide and a king size bed. A queen bed and no bedroom slide makes the bedroom feel really cramped.
Dodgemolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #68

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our last trailer had no slides....our present one has two.

Once you slide, you'll never go back!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Listening to owners complaints and seeing the screwed up sides on new units, I was concerned about buying one.

Wanting a bit shorter MH then my 30 ft Gulfstar Class C and a smoother ride then a F53 chassis, I picked up a Axis on a E450 chassis, with a rear slide.

It has a small slide, and if all else fails, I can drive it with it extended.
Had one slide in 1995, then two in 2000, now four on 2005 40 footer. If you stay extended periods, more is better. Been camping 50 years, love the slides. When I’m too old to drive this rig, getting a fifth wheel with 5 or 6 slides, maybe just live in it.
SurfsideGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:45 PM   #70

Forest River Owners Club
Personally, I would. Less complicated and opens up a wider range of units to consider. However I'm not sure I'd convince DW. Our class C had one and our current trailer has a large one. The space is nice for sure, but not a dealbreaker for me.

Not insisting on a slide might get me into some really nice older DP's. Maybe someday

Tags
slide