Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow! What a difference!

Traveling through Iowa yesterday on I-80, I stopped for gas and noticed you can buy pure gasoline (87 octane) without ethanol. So I decided to spring for a tank (.10/gall more) and man, what a difference! I noticed it as soon as I got back on the on ramp and accelerated, the MH took off like a bullet. Less downshifting on hills needed, passing trucks was a breeze.
I really didn't notice much difference in mileage but the difference in power was amazing.
I wish I could get ethanol-free gas in Illinois.....
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Traveling through Iowa yesterday on I-80, I stopped for gas and noticed you can buy pure gasoline (87 octane) without ethanol. So I decided to spring for a tank (.10/gall more) and man, what a difference! I noticed it as soon as I got back on the on ramp and accelerated, the MH took off like a bullet. Less downshifting on hills needed, passing trucks was a breeze.
I really didn't notice much difference in mileage but the difference in power was amazing.
I wish I could get ethanol-free gas in Illinois.....
We have a few select stations here that sell Real gasoline. DW tried it a couple times in her new Honda car, but never really noticed a mileage increase either.(I'm supprised, buts thats her deal) A fact is it takes more alcohol (a LOT) to make the same power as gasoline. Makes sense to me that you felt a difference. Not to mention alcohol sucks up water... Lets eat the corn,, not burn it.... IMO... Thanks for posting this baraff as I need all the power I can get with a 350 in a class A ...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
We have a few select stations here that sell Real gasoline. DW tried it a couple times in her new Honda car, but never really noticed a mileage increase either.(I'm supprised, buts thats her deal) A fact is it takes more alcohol (a LOT) to make the same power as gasoline. Makes sense to me that you felt a difference. Not to mention alcohol sucks up water... Lets eat the corn,, not burn it.... IMO... Thanks for posting this baraff as I need all the power I can get with a 350 in a class A ...
AMEN!!!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The ethanol has about 20% less heat content per gallon of fuel...thus less available energy and lower fuel economy. Our food supply should not be used for fuel... End of discussion.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:22 AM   #5

Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Chickenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
only $.10/gallon more is unheard of cheap. Prices in FL rival Diesel plus $.14 or so.
Still the fuel economy and stabilization is worth it over regular pump.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 AM   #7

i would be happy to pay $.10 more for real gas. we would probably see a bigger price drop at the grocery store
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 AM   #8

well maybe not happy but could tolerate the increase
boweavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #9

The last trip out west, I tried the mid-grade gas instead of the bottom stuff for a few fill ups. The mileage was not a good test as the wind was Terrible out there and back. Some people say it's a waste of $$ due to the computer compensating for fuel octane. But it did make a difference in power. (old hot rodder here) The way the computer manages that is to back off the timing when you get pinging/knocking . That just means its protecting the engine, but also Less power... IMO... Guess it's a trade off... Seems like real gas would be SO much better to have when you plan on storing the mh for say over the winter.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:11 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
as TxIceman said 20% less power is the figure I heard due to the ethanol...

and some experts say the mpg difference is substantial in the long run...

just think what it is doing to the seals and gaskets that was NOT designed for the corrosive ethanol...

but at least it's "reducing our dependency on foreign oil " NOT !!!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo
as TxIceman said 20% less power is the figure I heard due to the ethanol...

and some experts say the mpg difference is substantial in the long run...

just think what it is doing to the seals and gaskets that was NOT designed for the corrosive ethanol...

but at least it's "reducing our dependency on foreign oil " NOT !!!
When I was racing in the early 80s I built carbs to use alcohol. The jet size had to be 2.3 times bigger to get the same mixture ratio as gas.
Redvette92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvette92 View Post
When I was racing in the early 80s I built carbs to use alcohol. The jet size had to be 2.3 times bigger to get the same mixture ratio as gas.
My best friend still builds race engines,, a lot alcohol,, and yes, it takes like you said Bunches more fuel to make the same power... allso, as mentioned before, us with older vehicles are paying the price with increased cost of maintenance ...
Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #13

Proving once again how stupid we Americans can be. We should eat the corn and turn the cobs into alcohol for drinking, not putting it in cars. Cars drink enough in gas as it is. Its our turn now.
Wayne MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redvette92 View Post
Technically the ratio was also 2.3 times higher, as alcohol needs more fuel to air to burn correctly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote