Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
XHOSE

Hello RV friends:

I was wondering if anyone here has gotten one of these hoses. I saw this advertised on TV and was thinking of getting one for my motorhome but was wondering if anyone here has tried it. Will it last or will if fail quickly and have to be replaced? Does it work as designed or is it mostly just advertising hype? I have an older motorhome and the compartment for the hose connection is rather poorly designed. Mine gets kinked often, is difficult to empty the water out of it and basically gets shoved into the compartment anyway it will fit. My compartment doesn't even have a spool to wind it up. This hose might be a great solution for me..........if it will work. Anyone know?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Smokyjoe
I've had one for years and it works well for me.

36' Diesel
Smokyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #3

Is it rated for potable (drinking) water? If not, it could be leaching harmful chemicals into the drinking water. Otherwise, it really looks cool expanding when water pressure is applied and shrinking when you turn off the water.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokyjoe
I've had one for years and it works well for me.
I wondered about these too. I checked their site and there is nothing about being safe for potable water (although they say good for RVs). Also, nothing about a PSI rating and I'v seen RV hoses burst at CGs with high water pressure. What I'm really curious about is say you have a 50' hose and you're 45' ft away from the faucet at the CG, can you just pull it out to hook up, or do you need to have water pressure to expand it? That would be the deciding factor for me as I use a pressure regulator.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Not really a good hose for potable water use for reasons already stated, but maybe would be a good candidate to keep on board for other purposes (washing, etc) because of its space-saving properties.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Is it rated for potable (drinking) water? If not, it could be leaching harmful chemicals into the drinking water. Otherwise, it really looks cool expanding when water pressure is applied and shrinking when you turn off the water.
Oh me, oh my, I think I'll die. I have been drinking from common hoses for 60+ years. And I am over 70. I probably have ingested hundreds, if not thousands of gallons of tainted h-two-oh.

I have had surprises when forgetting to let the hose "purge" but I don't recall any long term ill effects

I can but wonder how we have managed to survive as a species with all these killer worries.

Pardon the sarcasm. I'm not sayin', i'm just sayin'...as it goes.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Oh me, oh my, I think I'll die. I have been drinking from common hoses for 60+ years. And I am over 70. I probably have ingested hundreds, if not thousands of gallons of tainted h-two-oh.

I have had surprises when forgetting to let the hose "purge" but I don't recall any long term ill effects

I can but wonder how we have managed to survive as a species with all these killer worries.

Pardon the sarcasm. I'm not sayin', i'm just sayin'...as it goes.

Ever wonder where cancer comes from? I'm not sayin', i'm just sayin'.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So are you sayin' water hoses cause cancer?
Glenn
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
So are you sayin' water hoses cause cancer?
Glenn
I'm sayin' a regular garden hose is made of PVC and releases high levels of lead, particularly if they lay in the sun filled with water, as they typically would in an RV potable situation.

More info: Garden hose cancer

I'm sayin' that there are probably lots of things that will cause long term illness that we don't know about yet.

I'm sayin' that just because you drank from the hose for 60 years, and never got sick, doesn't mean that you won't ever get sick from having done so. And that you may not readily be able to connect the effect to the cause.

I'm sayin' that since we now know that garden hose water is bad, there is no reason to continue drinking it because safer alternatives are available and recommended.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm intrested in the XHose but I'm also concerned regarding impurities in common substances. Then I think again, that gets me in trouble, and wonder why the white hose used for potable water, made of PVC, is good but the colored hoses are not? Confusion sometimes exists on my part but I err on the side of public consensus and use the white hose for my drinking water.

I'm interested in the XHose but I'll wait regarding it as a drinking hose, and that is just my personal feeling. I'm going to stay tuned in.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Ever wonder where cancer comes from? I'm not sayin', i'm just sayin'.

I have been told cancer is caused by ALAR.

BTW, I have no desire to live forever. I watched my mother-in-law suffer as a vegetable, curled up in the fetal position, and incapable of doing or expressing anything. She was so disposed to this for nearly 20 years.

No thanks. I am nearly 71, have survived cancer, open heart surgery, fusing of 9 discs and the political madness.
_
_

Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
snip

I'm sayin' that since we now know that garden hose water is bad, there is no reason to continue drinking it because safer alternatives are available and recommended.
We "knew" ALAR caused cancer. We "knew" rising ocean levels would cover NYC by 2010, If I am out cutting grass at my home in Arizona and the temp is 102, and I am thirsty, I guarantee I will drink from a X-hose.

Did my drinking from a garden hose cause my Prostate cancer? Did Doug whatshisname get Mesothelioma from asbestos?

Is the lung cancer rate substantially lower now than in 1960?

You do realize that these people HAVE to keep promoting 'boogey men' to keep the grant money flowing in?

Old 08-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
snip
You do realize that these people HAVE to keep promoting 'boogey men' to keep the grant money flowing in?
Wow. Usually I'M the ultra-cynical, black helicopter, tinfoil hat wearing, conspiracy theorist here. I have met my match.

Did drinking from a hose cause your prostate cancer? I don't know. Do you? Are you sure? If you do choose to drink from a garden hose, let it run for a while first. The little bit of research I've done on the topic suggests that the bad stuff in the hose leeches into the water in the hose as it bakes in the sun.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
We "knew" ALAR caused cancer. We "knew" rising ocean levels would cover NYC by 2010, If I am out cutting grass at my home in Arizona and the temp is 102, and I am thirsty, I guarantee I will drink from a X-hose.

Did my drinking from a garden hose cause my Prostate cancer? Did Doug whatshisname get Mesothelioma from asbestos?

Is the lung cancer rate substantially lower now than in 1960?

Wait!!

You have grass in Arizona??