Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ya Ever Curious??

Hi All:

Are ya ever curious about something or other?? Ya know, it's one of those dumb things that comes to mind once and awhile that ya kinda wonder about, but never get to the bottom of?? Well, here one of mine. What are yours?

TORNADOES: Now I'm not extensively well read, but.....how come ya almost never read in diaries, or in chronicles, or in books, about the pioneers traveling West in covered wagons encountering tornadoes. Even in the Lewis and Clark journals and in books about their expedition, ya don't find a thing about them dealing with, observing, or encountering TORNADOES!! Even in reading material written by early native Americans about their ancestors life on the plains, there's never any mention of tornadoes.

Anyone have insight into this?? Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Steve,

Pretty sure I don't have any insight into this but...strangely enough my wife and I were just talking about this the other day. My wife grew up near Edmonton Alberta and there were never tornadoes there. My father in law, who is now well into his 80s, grew up in Manitoba, and there were never tornadoes there. I grew up in British Columbia and all three of us never ever heard of tornadoes anywhere except in places like Kansas, but definitely never ever in Canada.

Now we hear about tornadoes touching down destroying homes and trailer parks or tornado warnings all summer long across the prairie provinces, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba for about the last 10 years.

Perhaps the weather patterns have changed that much since the early explorers and it is now just common place to get tornadoes.

Don't know for sure but those are my observations and thoughts.

Jimmy

Old 07-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Tornadoes didn't exist until the mobile home was invented..

Prior to that they (tornadoes) had no source of food!
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Back in them days there wasn't enough people to even notice when a tornado touched down, much less have a house in it's path. Same with earthquakes, more people, more houses falling down.

My two cents worth.

Dave
Old 07-17-2010, 10:11 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
You might find this of interest, to include the first picture- of a tornado- in 1884. There are documents going back to 1680 but the word "tornado" had not yet come into being.

Tornado History - Historical tornado Facts and Photos

However, it was a very interesting question and made me want to go out and learn more--- thank you!!

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:16 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
think about this ...... We now have national weather at our finger tips. On this computer I can find the ''weather'' on about any street in the USA if I know the Zip code of that street. We got ''satellites'' that look down at clouds and weather patterns and we got guys and ladies that make their living telling us that its raining in East Podunk, Someplace. We got more ''stuff'' to be blown away, rained on, torn up, washed away, flooded, tipped over, swamped, buried, crushed and lost that there has ever been in the USA not counting Canada and we got more people telling us when they think its gonna happen and why. I can remember the weather on the radio (that thingie before television) that told the weather in our county and that was about it. The first ''Tornado'' I ever heard about was a car made by Oldsmobile. There in lies the problem..... TOO MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT STUFF FAR AWAY THAT DONT AFFECT ME AND TOO MANY PEOPLE TELLING ME ABOUT IT .........

ps. that is Gypsy in the photo. she weighed 3 pounds.....
Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
PS~ scroll down and open the historical pictures (down on the right), especially the panoramic views from 1899 and 1919. They called them "cyclones". They must have been huge to cause a path of distruction like that.

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Seajay:

Gypsy looks very similar to Dorothy's dog Toto in the Wizard of Oz!! Bet it wouldn't even take a tornado to carry her off .

Re: present day coverage of weather events, etc.....ya still would think that early pioneers and/or explorers would have encountered one or two tornadoes that would have been SO dramatic or unusual to them as to cause em to comment about it in some manner or other. Oh well....guess I'll never know.

PNWgirl:

Thanks for the history stuff.

ALL:

So.....nobody else has stuff they're curious about?????

Steve
Old 07-18-2010, 08:39 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hi All:

Are ya ever curious about something or other?? Ya know, it's one of those dumb things that comes to mind once and awhile that ya kinda wonder about, but never get to the bottom of?? Well, here one of mine. What are yours?

TORNADOES: Now I'm not extensively well read, but.....how come ya almost never read in diaries, or in chronicles, or in books, about the pioneers traveling West in covered wagons encountering tornadoes. Even in the Lewis and Clark journals and in books about their expedition, ya don't find a thing about them dealing with, observing, or encountering TORNADOES!! Even in reading material written by early native Americans about their ancestors life on the plains, there's never any mention of tornadoes.

Anyone have insight into this?? Steve
Relative speaking, tornadoes are rather rare. The population in the midwest (where they predominate) was nearly 0. There are accounts of tornadoes in accounts of the day (Little House on the Prairie).

The other factor is, there were no trailer parks to devastate!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy F View Post
Steve,

Pretty sure I don't have any insight into this but...strangely enough my wife and I were just talking about this the other day. My wife grew up near Edmonton Alberta and there were never tornadoes there. My father in law, who is now well into his 80s, grew up in Manitoba, and there were never tornadoes there. I grew up in British Columbia and all three of us never ever heard of tornadoes anywhere except in places like Kansas, but definitely never ever in Canada.

Now we hear about tornadoes touching down destroying homes and trailer parks or tornado warnings all summer long across the prairie provinces, Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba for about the last 10 years.

Perhaps the weather patterns have changed that much since the early explorers and it is now just common place to get tornadoes.

Don't know for sure but those are my observations and thoughts.

Jimmy
Weather patterns may have changed but only in a minor way. It takes a very special set of conditions to set off tornadoes. That is why they only occur during the "tornado season". Interesting and complex study, weather. I find it fascinating that people who have NO scientific training seem to suddenly become experts.

And a large number of the experts have a trumped up political bias in their reporting.

Amateur radio operators are suffering the effects of the dearth of sunspots over the last 6-8 years. These little anomalies have a great affect on weather as well as HF radio propagation. I am not aware of anyone that truly understands the true complex patterns.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:25 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
Weather patterns may have changed but only in a minor way. It takes a very special set of conditions to set off tornadoes. That is why they only occur during the "tornado season". Interesting and complex study, weather. I find it fascinating that people who have NO scientific training seem to suddenly become experts.

And a large number of the experts have a trumped up political bias in their reporting.

Amateur radio operators are suffering the effects of the dearth of sunspots over the last 6-8 years. These little anomalies have a great affect on weather as well as HF radio propagation. I am not aware of anyone that truly understands the true complex patterns.
I said "perhaps", never claimed to be an exspert.

Jimmy
Old 07-18-2010, 10:07 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
It's because they didn't have trailer parks back then.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
Seajay > I beleive that was a "Toronado"

Old 07-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doc,

Looks like a 1967 ........ I had one a little bit lighter in color

Paul

pkendzor is offline   Reply With Quote