Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah, sure.......

A few nites ago me and Willa were watchin' TV and Willa said she heard some voices from out on the water. Our campsight is on a point of land and there is an island off that point about fifty yards. One side of this island has water a couple of feet deep and is good for trout fishing and the other side of the island has water about 6 inches deep and is good for nothing but getting stuck. There is a mud bottom that is probably two feet deep and has the consistency of Elmers Glue. She said she could hear a boat engine revving up and people talking and went out to investigate. I could hear her out in the yard talking to two men and they asked if she had a boat. She said we had a boat and they yelled ''Help, we are stuck in the bottom''.

Mind you, it was about ten at nite and they had not lights on this boat but they had a big flash light. We later learned that these guys were Mullet fishermen. They used a throw net to catch the Mullet after they spotted them with the flashlite. Willa told me that I needed to ''go help'' so I grabbed my flashlight and got in my trusty 12 foot Porta Bote with my might 6 hp. Suzuki motor and yelled ''Seajay to the rescue''..... (I figured these guys were probably Marines, lost, and stuck in the mud flat)......
Sure enough, here sat two guys in a 20 foot commercial fiberglass boat with a 75 HP engine stuck in 6 inches of water and two feet of mud and there I was in a ''Plastic Dixie cup with an ''egg beater'' for an engine. I said ''Shux''.......
One of the guys asked if I was going to get ''help'' and I said that ''I am your ''help'' and watch your mouth or you will set here all night''..... He then told me that they had about 500 pounds of Mullet in the bow of the boat and that they were stuck in the mud. I tilted my might engine and eased in front of them and tied on to the bow hook and backed back out into the deeper water. I tied the tow rope around the ''leg'' of the motor and told them to ''rock the boat'' and I would tow them off the mud flat. I distinctively heard a chuckle and a low …''..yeah sure''... I put tension on the rope and started easing from side to side while they rocked their boat. Mind you, their engine was not running but was tilted up out of the mud. They rocked and I pulled and eventually my little 6 hp washed enough mud out from under their boat that they started to move out to deeper water. I towed them back to the channel and they got all the mud out of their water pump and got their engine running again. They thanked me profusely and offered money and Mullet for my services and they said they would never again doubt the ability of an old sailor in a ''Plastic Dixie Cup'' boat with an ''Egg Beater'' for an engine. They came back by the next day and thanked me again and took a cell phone picture of the Porta Bote....

So it goes in the adventures of Willa and me spending the winter in Florida while you guys freeze your collective butts off somewhere else.......

HooooRahhhha for our troops......Be safe and come home real soon.....

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #2

Just shows brains over brawn .No brains brawn doesn't help.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Gives a different meaning to the term "Don't Rock The Boat," eh?

I'm proud of you Seajay. Every once in a while I'll send the Men out to test the skills of a simple sailor. You did good this time.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldrbob View Post
Just shows brains over brawn .No brains brawn doesn't help.
That is so ture, So ture and proven nearly every day somewhere in the world.

Was watching an old re-run of DRAGNET the other day.. The one with "The Hostage Bandit" He kidnapped women and had them help him rob banks.

His last victim.... Was a Karate instructor.

As they were leaving the bank.. she gave him, absolutely free, a lesson.

She was still instructing him when Friday and partner arrived.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #5

Cool

It is simply amazing how you seem to have so many "adventures"! HaHa.

The things that just pass us by in our lives you seem to put so eloquently into words and make it such a delight to read along with you!
You really should try your hand at writing a collection of your stories!

I eagerly look for all of your posts I really enjoy reading them!

: D
RABBITFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post

The things that just pass us by in our lives you seem to put so eloquently into words and make it such a delight to read along with you!

He has one, check out his irv2.com blog. Pretty darn good IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
Should have taken some of mullet. Many call it bait fish, but we had fresh mullet right off the boat a few years ago at a restaurant off Shell Point. Fried. Beautiful white flesh and very tasty. My S Florida buddy refused to eat any saying, "ain't eat no bait fish".
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:17 PM   #8

Now wait a min, 2 men in a boat , netting Mullett, stuck in the mud, out late at night, looking for help.

Come on Seajay, when and where do you expect anyone with any sense at all, would accept you statement, "probally a Marine"? Everyone in the world , including them dummies in Iran, KNOW that only sailors do that kind of stunts.

But, you have our (USMC) permission to show your jealousy of our beloved Corps.
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:46 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mick, I swear by my tattoo that this is true. (I throwed in the Marine reference so Wayne the Marine would not feel left out of the conversation (talk),) Yep, you can ask My Willa and she was married to a Marine. (he died in a bike accident back in 02) Seems they like to use a throw net at night because that is when the Mullet ''school up'' and they get easier to catch. One more thing. From his conversation (talk), one of the guys had been in the ''sauce'' and I could hardly understand (make him out) him. I believe that is how they got on the mud flat. I have never deliberately (on purpose) eaten Mullet that I know of. They told me that they sell the fish and others extract (take out) the roe (eggs) and sell them as delicacies (good stuff) over in Japan (real far away place) ...........
the words in ''parentheses'' (little roundie things) are for Marines that may read this post...............

All in fun Mick, another Marine, my friend ..... God bless you and all vets for your service to this great nation ....
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITFISH View Post

{Wink} Somehow I get the feeling that he has a bit of the blarney in his soul! {wink}

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
FOS

(Full of Stories) Ha! You thought I meant something else. Well, originally I did but I needed to make it nice for here.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #12

Seajay, you did well. Keep us informed on whats going on in your world.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:01 PM   #13

PortaBote

GREAT STORY!!! Have you sold it yet?
CaptnQuint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Aren't Marines "Department Of The Navy?"

Thank you both and all our military for serving this great Nation!!
John_N_Terry is offline   Reply With Quote