Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #15
Some of you folks sure know how to make a guy feel old grade school ?, born in the 1960s ?? groan, where is my cane ?

When I voted for the very first time in my life
it was for John F.Kennedy.. I was so proud of being old enough to finally vote..

Of course JFK was the only person a sailor would vote for,, after all, he was a genuine Navy hero in WWII.

Then came the day...

I was standing in the little guard shack at the head of a pier at the Portsmouth,Virginia mothball fleet when the news flashed on my little pocket radio...

"The president has been shot" !!!!

The entire area,, the ships, the people, the equipment,, even the sea gulls stopped making noise.. it so quiet that it gave me goose bumps.. not a sound to be heard.

After a moment I became conscious of those around me.. some were crying, some just stood there looking at each other with a paralyzed look on their faces..

I guess we were looking for some sort of leader to take over and tell us what to do.. Should we stop work, should we fall in a formation, what should we do...

It didn't happen ... no one stepped forward to take charge... Everyone slowly started moving aimlessly around, not really aware of what they were doing...

That day lasted an eternity ... It was not until the next morning at quarters that the realization finally sunk in that the president, our navy hero that we young sailors idolized, the one person who could do no wrong, ... was dead...

The gloom that hung over our base for the next few days was almost suffocating..

Everyone was subdued and quiet, even in the "EM" club, no one played the jukebox, or laughed and joked, we just quietly sipped our "3.2 beer", each of us with our own private thoughts..

Do I remember that day ?? yea... I remember

John Harrelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2005, 11:29 AM   #16
John, remember I said I was in college. In fact 20. Heck, I haven't retired yet. 2 years 2 months 8 days expect until then.

Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #17
Thinking about all of that day and why it was such a shock. Well, nothing in the way of violence had really happened on this continent for a long time.

No hijackings, they were yet to be invented.

No Air India bombing.

Violence like that was for other parts of the world, not in our back yard.

Then we had other assasinations. All that is after the shooting of JFK. & as John says, JFK had given us hope a huge lot of hope, but that bright lamp was suddlenly blown out.
Little Kopit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:15 AM   #18
I was in High school that morning and walked into the library and heard the news. Just as I was told, the Alert bombers from our local Air Force base, took off over town. This was a reality check of things to come.
99 F-350 4X4 PSD pulling a 24' Nash travel trailer
JRNOLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #19
Alpine Owners Club
I was in an Eighth Grade Math Class when the word came down that the President had been shot. We were not told for about another hour that he had died of his wounds.

Dave Fernandez
2001, 38ft FDDS, 350 ISC, Tow 2004 Yukon
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #20
I remember it as well , I was a sophmore at Penn State, in fact I was one of the first students in the student union that heard of the tragedy.
2005 Newmar Mountain Aire W-24 , 2006 Jeep Commander Limited towed vehicle Newmar Kountry Klub 7284L, Pennsylvania State Directors
Edmund A Skibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 07:03 PM   #21
Am I the only one here who was not born yet when this happened? I was not born until '72. My mother has told me about it. I remember the space shuttle and 9/11. I remember seeing newsclips of JFK that day, but that is it. It was still quite disturbing to me that anyone would be so evil. I cannot imagine being alive when it happened. What a shock it would have been.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:04 AM   #22
I was working on a Hawk missile radar component in the Army in Germany and the CQ (charge of Quarters) came in and told me that his wife had called him and told him the news. We tried our unit's radio but battery was missing so I ran a 45kw generator all night so we had voltage to run a 9 volt portable radio all night. We were stunned by the news, as was everyone we talked to.
tinkercb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:41 AM   #23
I was in London, waiting for the American Embassy to finish my immigration papers, as I expected to be here, in the US, by Thanksgiving. I finally got here on 22nd.Dec.63.
The whole world stood still that day, in a state of shock. JFK made a great impact on all of us.
Little did we know what other earth shattering injusticies we would have after that !

Rving, and fixing them since 1968

Don't Drink and Drive, EVER!!
LakeConroePenny,TX is offline   Reply With Quote