Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-25-2011, 07:35 AM   #29
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
After retirement I got a 21 ft boat to do off shore fishing. I found out it was not for me. 21 not big enough and had to head in many more times than I could stay and I did get sick. Much rather buy fish or eat out. Rving much better for us.

diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
And you guys didn't think that I was paying attention!

I'm 5 ft. 10 in. and they let me join up. I told them that I was good at treading water till I could put my feet on the bottom and walk to shore.

Great stuff on this thread. Seajay, I love your sea stories and it was a pleasure to meet you at the rally and hang out for a few days. We had a blast! To all you sailors, soldiers, airman, marines, coasties, reservists and national guardsman out there.........we just love messing with each other, but there is a common bond; a common brotherhood, that non-vets just don't quite understand.

Thanks for your service and sacrifice!

USA- 3 years
USCG- 25 years

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34 TGA
Ford V-10 22000 lb chassis
Brake Buddy Advantage,
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #31
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Seajay View Post
Back in 2000 Linda (my first wife) and I went to Alaska for the first time. Being ''first timers'' we wanted to do everything, see everything, taste everything and make a million photographs and we did most of this . I think we were in Homer or Hanes or somewhere on the coast and they had a whale watching tour the next day so we signed up for it. Linda had a tendency to get ''dizzy head'' when we went out on the ocean so we prepared the evening before. We had a lite supper and lots of liquids. NO Alcohol. I stopped at a drug store and got Dramamine and believe it or not GINGER CANDY, the chewy kind. That nite we both took a Dramamine and we took one before a lite breakfast the next morning. No eggs, bacon, sausage, just cereal and fruit.
Upon boarding we were told that this was a Salmon and bake and a Prime Rib cruise and it all was free and ALL YOU COULD EAT. Believe me, when it comes to Prime Rib, med. rare with fresh horse redish and ''ajue'' I can be a pig. They loaded the boat at the pier with happy bouncing, giggling, people all ready for adventure. We hauled it out of the bay and into the ''rollers''........ Up and down and side to side....... Over the PA system they warned not to lock yourself in the bathrooms if you were sick. Just ''Go over the fan tail with the diesel fumes and the bouncing boat.''
The plague of sea sickness ran rampant on the boat and I felt great. We thundered along rockin and rollin and bouncing. I heard passengers beggin to go back to the dock from every quarter and you had to stand in line to get to the fan tail sometimes.
About eleven oclock they pulled into a small bay where it was relatively calm and they announced ''DINNER IS SERVED''.... ''PRIME RIB AND SALMON'' '' ALL YOU CAN EAT''. I was first in line and last in line and about the only one in line. I got Linda a tray and me a tray and we pigged out after taking another Dramamine. A guy saw us taking the Dramamine and offered me twenty dollars for a ''tab''. I just gave him one knowing it was useless because he was already sick. We pigged out on the wonderful dinner. The guy cutting the Prime Rib got to know me on a personal basis. He could not believe that one person could eat so much and not be sick. I asked one of the crew why they did not hand out Dramamine and he said they could not do this because it may act against some drugs that a patron might be taking.
In my life I have never seen a bunch of people that were so glad to get back to the dock. We literally had a boat load of ''dead people'', laying on benches with a blanket and a bucket. One guy told me that I should be ashamed of myself, eating all that Prime Rib while he was so sick and wanting to die.
So it went on a whale watchin' cruise up in beautiful Alaska back in 2000....

Coasties are vets too. Lets all show respect or they will not bring us a towel and a beach chair........ ''I'm Teasin''.............
May God bless you for our service to our nation and I will give a premature THANK YOU for comin to rescue my sorry Sailor butt down in Florida if I should need it..... Be safe my Brothers........

Well said.
My wife and I went down to Baja Mexico on a local cruise ship for the day from San Diego....as soon as we pulled out from the harbor out by Point Loma it got rough.....there was a young lady that spent the entire trip in the head puking her guts out.

If We Can't Haul It....You Don't Need It ! Motor-T
U.S. Marines Don't Suffer from Insanity ! We enjoy Every Minute of it!
"Semper Fi"
Remember "Without Truck's......America Stops" RVM129
"Take me to the Brig. I want to see the "Real Marines".
Major General Chesty Puller, USMC -
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #32
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
As a grunt from the old days, Korean Era, where did all of the fruit salad come from? Seems like a recruit fresh out of basic training has more medals than General Patton.

Too young for Korea and too old for desert storm. Tried to re-up after a medical. But I agree it seems to be a gentler Corps. Ribbons were few and medals were earned.
2010 Damon Daybreak 3204 Sport, bunkhouse with Jeep Wrangler toad.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #33
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
This has to be a sea story, Cutters are pulled out of the water each night not left ties to a pier. They have built in trailer hooks.
Well you don't know the difference between a boat and a cutter, then.

Best Regards!
Paul D

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
The kids today earn what they wear on the chest. Sure, there are lots of "show up and get a ribbon" awards...But most of the kids today will go to Afghanistan or Iraq. My "adopted" son has two Iraq tours and an Afghan tour under his belt in just 4 years.

Some genius once figured that we Army paratroopers needed to learn to assault a beach...so they sent us over to Norfolk and put us on an LST (one of those silly looking things that looked like they put a fork on the front...) Ran into weather out at sea, cancelled all the landing on the beach stuff and the Navy drove around in circles just to make us puke. Finks.
The Air Force also loved to fly us around at low level, banking and yanking before they dropped us. I think they did it to guarantee that we would jump. Please dear Lord let me off this C-141 or C-130!!!!
2000 Pace Arrow 37S
2011 Ford Fiesta toad
wife and cats
2912N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #35
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I lost my dad in '69. He waited for me to return from VN before having surgery, and it did him in. He was former Navy WWII, drafted. He couldn't believe I would join the Marine Corps, and I had a ambition - to make it a career. He told me, if you are every aboard ship and you feel like you are getting seasick, eat some saltine crackers or a candy bar, and go on deck and look at the horizon. He said that the horizon is the only steady thing on a rolling ship.

Well, I spent two years aboard a naval vessel, August1962-August 1964. The crackers/candy bar worked the first time I thought I was getting sick. Never needed it after that.

At the same time there was a RM1 with a name beginning with G. (I remember the name, but I don't want to embarrass him.) Now as an RM1 back in 1962 he had some seniority. Here is what would happen and this happened ever time.

The PA would sound, "Shift colors, ship underway." Now that meant that they had just cast off the lines and the would shift the Ensign from the fantail to the center ships mast (don't remember the name of the mast - remember I'm a Marine.) As soon as that announcement was made, RM1 G would become sick and bolt for the head. He'd be back in about 15 minutes and for the rest of the time at sea he would be okay until the next time they announced, "Shift colors, ship underway." Nothing helped him.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #36
Monaco Owners Club
Geeze, all this talk about being seasick.. I was in the Air Guard for 5 years and the Air Force for one year. Kept my feet on the non-rolling ground (concrete apron).

FMCA# 266040 HRRVC# 84109
2000 32' HR Vacationer w/Banks
'98 Subaru Outback 5 spd toad
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote