Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #15

That's correct. View the scene, collect the statements and if you can determine that a law was broken a ticket can be issued. In Ontario the insurance companies use "fault determination rules" to figure out who was to blame and by what percentage.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2016, 11:21 AM   #16

And I bought a dash cam about a month ago and already captured a guy fall asleep and plow into the sign on the median and through the intersection into oncoming cars on my way to work one morning. I take it everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Old 07-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought two el-cheapos from Citizen Goods for $27 each. I am putting one in the MH and the other in the toad.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:16 PM   #18

I got one several years ago because I was seeing accidents and people acting stupid all the time.Almost every time I went somewhere. Since I got the dash cam I haven't seen a darn thing.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbeachbum View Post
I got one several years ago because I was seeing accidents and people acting stupid all the time.Almost every time I went somewhere. Since I got the dash cam I haven't seen a darn thing.

You should return that thing, it must be defective!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #20

Good information here and some wise observations. Peace officers may write a ticket at an accident scene when something is obvious that he can testify to, ie at a 2 way stop it is obvious that one driver failed to yield. Or, one car hit another head on, obviously one car was in the wrong lane.
But, in many cases, it's not black and white and you can't write a ticket on what one driver says.
It's important to remember also that a ticket doesn't always show fault.
Here's a little secret for you. It's a common practice in many agencies to make Veh 1 the veh that the officer believes is at fault. But that's only to help him remember the case if he's ever subpoenaed to testify.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:18 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just bought the Rand McNally camera. I just found the mount doesn't work for a vertical windshield of a class A coach. Has anybody come up with a mounting fix?

DickW
Blue Skies and Safe Travels
2014 DSDP 4018
2009 Honda Fit TOAD
LongRanger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
I just bought the Rand McNally camera. I just found the mount doesn't work for a vertical windshield of a class A coach. Has anybody come up with a mounting fix?

DickW
Blue Skies and Safe Travels
2014 DSDP 4018
2009 Honda Fit TOAD
If you can Rotate the image in the camera menu, you can then mount in on the dash.
I did this, and ran the wire through the defroster duct.
EBay has dash mounts that have 3M tape.
Dan
Old 07-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just ordered a dashcam for the RV. We took a trip a few weeks ago and I could not believe how many rude, inconsiderate and just plain crappy drivers we encountered. This is after travelling nearly 20,000 miles in our RV over the last few years.

My breaking point on the last trip was the utter ridiculousness we encountered at the toll booth lanes for the GWB - coming from the Jersey side.

Not only were there people cutting across all lanes of traffic, cutting other cars and trucks off - we had one SOB that was inches from the passenger front corner of our RV. He kept coming across lanes, as I was moving forward. My wife opened the window and motioned to him to STOP. Instead he continued forward, I slammed on the brakes (car trailer in tow). He then "parked" across the front of our rig - leaned out the window giving us two 1 finger salutes while his buddy in the passenger seat motioned about a dozen cars in front of him.

He then proceeded to stay in front of us through the toll - stopped in front of us as we exited the toll - we had no where to go (54' long towing), and the motioned other cars in front of him, all while telling us we were #1 with both hands.

I have never been so furious in 34 years of driving.

After a few days of research, the Spy Tec STI_G1W-C Full HD 1080P Capacitor Edition Dashcam kept coming up as the best camera for the money.

Next time out, we'll have a dashcam and I will be less friendly with my braking!
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Man, I feel for you! I have been through that toll booth once before. My DW and I were driving, back to TX from NY, my just completed 67 Camaro RS muscle car. Not stock! Right at that same spot, we were certain one of those dozen of total inconsiderate idiots was going to slam in the back, clip the front and/or sideswipe it. MOST fortunately we got through and on our way unscathed. My DW stated at the time, "Honey, we should have a dash cam in here".

The day we picked up our MH, we made a stop at WallyWorld for some things for our new rig as this was in Tucson and we were overnight camping our way back to Texas.

There we are stuck in the parking lot by stopped cars as we were working on getting to back open area. RIGHT NEXT TO US is a parked Hummer whose driver was inside. Out of nowhere, driver starts the Hummer, throws it in reverse and starts backing out! Headed right for the side of our rig. Even consistent blowing of the air horns almost didn't stop him/her. Just at the last second we suppose driver looked in the rear view and saw the "wall" behind them.

Again, another good situation for a dash cam. I could just hear that "shouldn't be driving" person; "they pulled right up as I was backing out".

We need to be ready for anything and everything.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:32 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Ultra View Post
Man, I feel for you! I have been through that toll booth once before. My DW and I were driving, back to TX from NY, my just completed 67 Camaro RS muscle car. Not stock! Right at that same spot, we were certain one of those dozen of total inconsiderate idiots was going to slam in the back, clip the front and/or sideswipe it. MOST fortunately we got through and on our way unscathed. My DW stated at the time, "Honey, we should have a dash cam in here".

The day we picked up our MH, we made a stop at WallyWorld for some things for our new rig as this was in Tucson and we were overnight camping our way back to Texas.

There we are stuck in the parking lot by stopped cars as we were working on getting to back open area. RIGHT NEXT TO US is a parked Hummer whose driver was inside. Out of nowhere, driver starts the Hummer, throws it in reverse and starts backing out! Headed right for the side of our rig. Even consistent blowing of the air horns almost didn't stop him/her. Just at the last second we suppose driver looked in the rear view and saw the "wall" behind them.

Again, another good situation for a dash cam. I could just hear that "shouldn't be driving" person; "they pulled right up as I was backing out".

We need to be ready for anything and everything.
After our trip over the GWB and our new "friend", I am tempted to get some air horns and mount them inside the front nose, right at earshot level.
2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #26

Who's fault is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
This is not motohome related, but my son does have a Fleetwood.
Last night, my grandson was hit almost head-on by a mid-twenty year old girl who ran a red light while he was making a left turn coming home from school. No major injuries to either driver.

His dad is a cop, and got down there inside of 10 minutes.
He got 6 independent witnesses who confirmed she ran a red light.
She admitted to the police officer who took the report that she ran a red light.

Today my son calls her insurance company to find the status. She had reported the accident, and her statement to her insurance was it was the other drivers fault.

We don't have any worries that she will be held liable, but this just goes to show what people will do.

Maybe the "younger generation" feel that owning up to your mistakes is no longer important. We are just lucky to have witnesses.

My wife was in a fender bender last year, with no witnesses. It was close to our house and I was able to get there and get pictures, and the other driver admitted fault....he was over 60.

We were lucky in that the next day he called his insurance and admitted fault.

BUT WHEN IT IS JUST YOU AND THE OTHER DRIVER, IT IS HE SAID & SHE SAID. Good luck oin that case

Dashcam....Dashcam....Dashcam....

Regards,

Dan
Are you kidding, 4 years ago a guy born in 1921 claimed he made a right turn off a side road onto a main road where our classic pickup was parked, he hit a Infinity a Cadillac and then our truck totaling it, then flipped his Mitsubishi Eclipse on its roof with him hanging from the seatbelts till we got him out! This all was done on a 35mph road after he made a illegal right turn on red where it was posted not allowed! He claimed the sunglare got him, what happened was he made the illegal turn and the jerks that drive 60 on that road blared their horns and scared him. I wish he had a dashcam, would have made a excellent video! Bobby

Tags
dash