Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #1

You SNOWBIRDS have it too good.

During the winter Texas, Florida and Arizona are all full of folks from the cold country and the campgrounds bend over backwards to offer a lot of activities. I read that the REAL snowbirds have potluck dinners, dances, workshops, tours, meetings and all kinds of stuff during the winter when they escape the weather. I read that the areas around the campgrounds offer all kinds of discounts, and even celebrate the return of the snowbird. The campgrounds are full of folks that don't like snow and cold weather and that they have a great time socializing.

So what is my point?

Today is Thursday and here we set. The clubhouse and office closes at 6pm everyday. There were about 160 campers here over the 4th but at this time I can count 12 in the campground. I was thinking if this is the way it is for full or part-timing during the summer; it might not be worth the effort. I would like to ESCAPE THE HEAT. We live in Florida so do not have to leave during the winter, but the summer months of June-Sept are really hot and we would like to go where it is cool. Where are the SUMMERBIRDS suppose to escape to? We in the south would like to find places in the north that treat us like the folks in Texas, Florida and Arizona do the snowbirds. I want potluck dinners, dances, workshops, tours, meetings and all kinds of stuff offered by the campground just like you folks get. The bad part is I don't see where this is happening. Please advise if you know.

JAXFL
JAXFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #2

You SNOWBIRDS have it too good.

During the winter Texas, Florida and Arizona are all full of folks from the cold country and the campgrounds bend over backwards to offer a lot of activities. I read that the REAL snowbirds have potluck dinners, dances, workshops, tours, meetings and all kinds of stuff during the winter when they escape the weather. I read that the areas around the campgrounds offer all kinds of discounts, and even celebrate the return of the snowbird. The campgrounds are full of folks that don't like snow and cold weather and that they have a great time socializing.

So what is my point?

Today is Thursday and here we set. The clubhouse and office closes at 6pm everyday. There were about 160 campers here over the 4th but at this time I can count 12 in the campground. I was thinking if this is the way it is for full or part-timing during the summer; it might not be worth the effort. I would like to ESCAPE THE HEAT. We live in Florida so do not have to leave during the winter, but the summer months of June-Sept are really hot and we would like to go where it is cool. Where are the SUMMERBIRDS suppose to escape to? We in the south would like to find places in the north that treat us like the folks in Texas, Florida and Arizona do the snowbirds. I want potluck dinners, dances, workshops, tours, meetings and all kinds of stuff offered by the campground just like you folks get. The bad part is I don't see where this is happening. Please advise if you know.

JAXFL
Old 07-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I also live in Florida. Consider the Mackanac, Michigan area. We were there over July 4th. The heat was on at night and we were really cold watching the fireworks at 10:20 PM.

One can also look along the border with Canada. There are many places that remain cool (like a Florida Winter), in the Summer months.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are currently near Suttons Bay, MI in the Leelanau Peninsula at the Wild Cherry Resort. It's not full here but they are running about 50 to 60% of the sites taken. We have a potluck every Wednesday. The area offers plenty of other things to do. Additionally, it's generally cool here with a nice breeze. It does get into the 80's but by Florida summer standards it's very comfortable here.

I doubt you are going to find an action packed activity card during the summer months, people are busy traveling to see sights and doing things with family vs parking for the winter in Florida.

Another cool place we like to stay is in the Rocky Mtns at about the 7000 ft level. Nice and cool there most of the time. We like it in the Ouray, CO area and stay often at the Ouray KOA. They have various dinners and other activities spread throughout the summer. Plus there are world class jeeping trails everywhere.

See our blog for pictures around the Leelanau area.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:32 AM   #5

If you can't go far enough North to find some cool air the closest thing is always altitude and that would be Smoky Mountains. Not Gatlinburg with all the tourists and high prices but the outlying areas in N.C. or Virginia, even N. Georgia.
As far as anemeties offered by RV parks or communities, probably not much. Living on the Gulf Coast have never been in Florida other than Destin/Panama City, Gulf Shores, Al. in the winter nor So. Texas. We've got an excellent winter climate right here and quite a few snowbirds are finding that out + the food is so much better.
In Panama City I've seen banks, parks, etc. flying the Maple Leaf along with Old Glory and the Florida flag.
Dave
MCDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:45 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">See our blog for pictures around the Leelanau area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great blog and photos. Makes me want to crank up the diesel and leave for there this afternoon. Unfortunately, other events are intruding on our ability to get away at this time. Looks absolutely beautiful.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #7

I am a summer bird living in FLorida. I think the North Ga, TN and NC are great. Once you get up about 2000 feet, don't have to worry too much about the heat. I for one, do not look forward to seeing the return of the snowbirds though.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
There are a few CG's that have a pot luck dinner once a week, but they are far and few between.
The main reason, SUMMERBIRDS just don't sit still as WINTERBIRDS and WINTERTEXANS do. If you go to a park for 2/3 months in the summer you could talk to the owners about a SUMMERBIRD activity program.
It's just that RVers who travel in the summer do just that, Travel from one place to another.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

We are Floridians and have always referred to ourselves as "SUNBIRDS". Typically we leave in April and return around Nov 1, spending our summers in places like Maine (where we are now), Wisconsin/Minnesota, or the Pacific Northwest. We aren't much into the frantic activity schedule, so haven't really looked for places that offer that, but we don't see much of it. There are seasonal parks in New England and around the Poconos that are very active, at least on weekends when everybody is in their rig.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hey JAXFL: Try Hart Ranch on Hwy. 16 SW of Rapid City, SD toward Keystone and Rushmore in the Black Hills. You'll find what you're looking for. Enjoy. Steve & Lynette
Old 07-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #11

Hi JAXFL, We are in the same boat with you. We live just up the road from you and have been thinking the same thing. We would like to have a summer destination also. Maybe we need to have a summer travel group? Escape to Maine or something.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:24 AM   #12

Oh-one says; "Maybe we need to have a summer travel group? Escape to Maine or something." I have been reading the respones on here and another site and think you might be right. I keep being refered to CO, Wy, WI, MA, MI. I think that real Colorado seems to be were the action is during the summer. Around the Fort Smith area, about 60 miles from Colorado Springs, up in the mountains. You would think that some of the RV Campgrounds up north would activily recruit for Full-timers.

JAXFL
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh-one says; "Maybe we need to have a summer travel group? Escape to Maine or something." I have been reading the respones on here and another site and think you might be right. I keep being refered to CO, Wy, WI, MA, MI or the North West areas. I think that really Colorado seems to be the best for distance and were the action is during the summer. Around the South Fork area, about 60 miles from Colorado Springs, up in the mountains. You would think that some of the RV Campgrounds up north would activily recruit for Full-timers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JAXFL
Old 07-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We live in Arizona and travel in the coach a lot... but we also own a small RV park (Cozy Comfort RV Park) in Dolores, CO, just north of Cortez. (SW Colorado, 4 corners area, Telluride and Durango, etc.) That is our summer vacation spot... no, our small RV Park doesn't offer organized activities (when I say small, I mean we have 11 RV spaces...), but we do have the "Cozy Comfort Cocktail Club"... and lots of fun people. I'm not saying this to advertise our park, I'm saying it because it is a fabulous area with lots of recreational activities and day trips. You might want to check out Dolores River RV Park... they are a big park right down the road from us and may have some organized activities. Also there are some nice KOA's in the area. It's tough to beat Colorado in the summer. Good luck and happy and safe travels!

Brenda, of...