Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 09:05 AM   #15

Wow. This brings back memories of the 70s. I was Blackbelt, brothers were Boogerman, Frogman, and Minnow. Dad was Silverdove, nephew was Tadpole. Friends were Rawhide, Crosshead, Bullwhip. Several others I forget. Used to keep us up late, sitting in the driveway, in the truck, til late hours talking on the cb. Always watching for that mythical FCC black van that rode around the country listening for people violating FCC rules, yanking your license (kps-2576) and even your radio. Did anyone else hear those stories?

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW: I wasn't too interested in CB way back when. However I do remember listening to it to kill some time and see what it was. One day when I wasn't flying I dialed in the frequencies and heard all kinds of stuff very loud and clear from the southern Calif area. This was in the late 50's and I was on Midway Island at Amateur radio station KM6BI. Boy the propagation was really good then. Wish it was that good now.
Good luck, good health and safe travels!

BeltoneMagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by davendeb View Post
Always watching for that mythical FCC black van that rode around the country listening for people violating FCC rules, yanking your license (kps-2576) and even your radio. Did anyone else hear those stories?
Many many years ago I actually spoke with the guys from FCC. I don't remember what kind of vehicle they had, but they were trying to catch one local guy. He had a linear amp on that was so big when he keyed up color televisions within a one mile radius went to black and white. Somehow this guy knew when they FCC was around and never keyed up when they were around. They said that he needed to caught 'in action' for them to be able to do anything.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing, upgraded turbo, 2017 Forest River 365RK
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
The van was a GMC box truck. At least out of the Powder Springs GA office in the 70's. Best I remember it was white. But it was obvious who it belonged to.

They did have a full size 70's Chrysler car (don't remember model) that had the center of the roof removed and a plexiglass replacement panel with a loop antenna installed then covered with a Vinyl roof material. The front passenger seat was removed and had a rack mounted with the monitor equipment installed where the driver could reach it. He had a canvas flap that would cover the rack when not needed to be seen. Was quite the custom job! I actually got to do a ride along in the back seat of that car. It was an interesting day. The inspector would sometimes listen to CBers riding the interstates but he was more interested in locating stolen radios.
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:23 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Back in the day when CB use was rampant throughout the nation, 1970's, my handle was "SpareTire". Always have one and always will. My wife at the time her handle was "Sunshine".

When traveling with our "convoy" of RVer friends the airwaves were always filled with "what's your 20 good buddy?" I guess that's how the theme song from the movie became popular.

Convoy called "I think we got ourselves a Convoy"

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-23-2016, 01:02 PM   #20

My first CB was a mobile unit. I can't remember the name, think it was channelmaster or something. It was a 5 channel, crystal-controlled tube unit powering a steel whip antenna.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:20 PM   #21

My handle was " Radio Check ".

People were always calling me.

My real name is Roger. Couldn't use that.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Yup, Roger this and Roger that. Oh my!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 01-23-2016, 01:39 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Short Circuit. Was an electrician back in those days, Still have the old 23 channel CB. Have no idea if it still works. Guess I will install it this spring in the MH and find out. The MH already has an antenna so might as well see if it works.
Old 01-23-2016, 01:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Anyway whats your real...CB handle?
Being a very light blond, I am Cottontop. My read head wife is Coppertop.

Tim

Old 01-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #25

Hi----brand x here-------20 dollar license----KSQ1151
Old 01-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #26

My Dad was a trucker so I grew up with a CB in the car and everyone in the family having a handle - Dad was "King Fish" (last name is Fisher) and I was "Little Minnow." Our call letters were KTY5206. I have been thinking about installing a CB in my class B...
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:31 PM   #27
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My Dad owned a trucking company when I was a young man and my brother, cousin and I drove for him for a number of years. My brother was
Nitehawk", my cousin was "Nitecrawler" and because I usually arrived in what they said was a roll of thunder and a cloud of dust they named me "Thundercloud". See, I had a straight pipe on it.

Long time ago but I still go by it.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #28

Thought it would be a nice feature to have a CB after years of listening to the trash mouths I had hoped it had changed, at the first rest stop I deposited it in the trash can.