Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Many years back, my kids gave me my handle, "OLD SNAKE" They had been listening to a commercial on tv where they said "you old rattlesnake" and shortened it. Ur=sed it for years. In fact that was the year we started camping.... 1972 or so.....

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale) SOLD !!![* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 (For Sale)* Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Disabled Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2016, 10:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnTom View Post
Many many years ago I actually spoke with the guys from FCC. I don't remember what kind of vehicle they had, but they were trying to catch one local guy. He had a linear amp on that was so big when he keyed up color televisions within a one mile radius went to black and white. Somehow this guy knew when they FCC was around and never keyed up when they were around. They said that he needed to caught 'in action' for them to be able to do anything.
Yes. We heard these stories but never saw the vehicle here. There were a few that I wanted to get caught. When they keyed up, it shut everyone else down. Boy were they powerful.
I had a Realist Navaho base/mobile. Not fancy but my friends envied it.

davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:43 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I remember now, license number was KYC 2714

Those were the days
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:50 AM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Cougarkid, just like my user name. Started it in 1978. My first car was a 1970 Cougar XR7. Thus, the CB handle. KBEX-3005 license.

I still have that car!
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #33

Freightliner Owners Club
KACR9794 Early 70's, only 23 channels. Same handle, "Hooligan". (Coast Guard was the Hooligan Navy) License did start at $20 and required you repeat your call sign at every transmission.
Wife's call sign was "Miss Fortune"

The Coast Guard did monitor CB in the helo, but we were discouraged from answering calls except distress, our radio put out 1500 watts.

I was also a Ham Radio operator on Loran Stations at Saipan and Palau Islands, we used the MARS network to call home through HAM operators in the states.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:07 PM   #34

All these people saying all you hear is dirty stuff... I drive 2300 miles a week... I Very seldom hear any nasty stuff... No more than anywhere else... When I do, there is a volume knob... I turn it down for a couple minutes,, then back up... No prob... I like to hear whats going on in front of me... Or help someone out with directions,, etc... Oh,,, by the way my old "handle" was motorhead,,, because I was a racer guy... Then a guy at work named me "motormonkey" because I liked telling jokes and seeing people laugh... Then it just went to Monkey for most I work with.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:49 AM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No CB now. Haven't used one in over 30 yrs. Years ago when I got into CBs my handle was "Green Indian" because I was driving a green Pontiac Bonneville. Actually had 3 green Pontiacs in a row over a period of nearly 10 years. So it worked for me. If I were to add a CB to my coach today I don't know what I'd use as a handle.
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:39 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
After 30+ years of have one in the semi, now retired, my handle was "Guardrail" don't remember my license #, too many other #'s that were way more important, I guess? I never had one in the house, I guess after listening to them in the truck all those years, just wanted to get away from them for awhile! I used the rf. gain knob a lot, and usually could not hear far out, but just close when someone was trying to get ahold of me! In the MH, unless I was traveling in a group, I would not turn it on, unless for a emergency or to find out road conditions. Back in the late 70's I remember driving to Key West, and hearing the fishing boat's talking back and forth, and talking to them. I was amazed how far you could talk across the open water! Rail!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:27 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Back in the mid 70's I was "wooliebooger", call sign KSL7814. Used it a fair amount on I-80 in WY where there were a lot of truckers. Especially handy when the 55 MPH speed limit was in effect! Ever try to drive 55 MPH on an interstate? Cobras were big then, and that's what I still run in the MH.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #38

Freightliner Owners Club
Ken- Remember a "wooliebooger" driving for Werner on a trip from Newport RI to New Orleans, (I-95/85) late 70's. We crossed paths several times over 2 days.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #39

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
KACR9794 Early 70's, only 23 channels. Same handle, "Hooligan". (Coast Guard was the Hooligan Navy) License did start at $20 and required you repeat your call sign at every transmission.
Wife's call sign was "Miss Fortune"

The Coast Guard did monitor CB in the helo, but we were discouraged from answering calls except distress, our radio put out 1500 watts.

I was also a Ham Radio operator on Loran Stations at Saipan and Palau Islands, we used the MARS network to call home through HAM operators in the states.
Hooligan, We monitored a CB in the radio room at St Paul AK. Our "handle" was "Coast Guard". The weather station was "Weather Station" and the local AK Trooper was "Police"! Every house on the island (all 50 or so) had a CB for communications. It was like a huge party line. Sometime in the mid 70's I heard they actually got a telephone system. Wish I had had my Ham license then. We had no MARS station the year I was there.

I've heard all the stories about Palau!!!!!
2017 Chevrolet 2500HD
mhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:31 PM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhudson View Post
Hooligan, We monitored a CB in the radio room at St Paul AK. Our "handle" was "Coast Guard"..........
I've heard all the stories about Palau!!!!!
I went to Palau, 1960- after the mutiny.
Was stationed at Port Clarence AK in 62
Old 01-27-2016, 01:00 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Ken- Remember a "wooliebooger" driving for Werner on a trip from Newport RI to New Orleans, (I-95/85) late 70's. We crossed paths several times over 2 days.
In the late 70's I was in a 4 wheeler with icycles hanging off it in WY. Must have been a "copycat" wooliebooger. There was an oilfield service company called wooliebooger, and I stole it from them.
Big Oil Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:24 AM   #42

Early 70s I was derrickman on oil rigs in WY.........called me 'Bounce' cause I was always jumping up/down on the monkey-board during a trip

Handle stuck and used it for CB