Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Just Conversation
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Zion after dark

Zion, after dark

Several years ago me and Willa had occasion to do a ''big circle'' out west for a couple months. As I recall we were heading south down thru Dixie National Forest and on to Bryce Canyon and then on to Zion National Park.

Zion is a most beautiful place and we were there in the early fall of the year. The days were nice and the nights were cool and the dry campground was empty except for us and one other camper. We spent the day riding the road looking at the waterfalls and the beautiful Aspen trees. Deer wandered out in front of us and gave us the ''big eyes'' look punctuated by very large ears in our direction. They seemed to be curious as to why we had come visiting. Except for us, the place was mostly empty.

One evening after supper we decided that it would be fun to take the chairs and walk across the road to the empty camp sight and sit and watch the night sky. I took Finnie and she took Gus on their leashes and we grabbed a chair and walked across the road and settled in to watch natures night time show. Our dogs did a thorough inspection at the length of their leashes sniffing, pointing, looking, tasting and generally checking out the area to be assured there were no gorillas in the area. They then hopped up on our laps and went promptly to sleep.

We had on our coats and hats against the night chill and the dogs radiated heat in our laps that was welcome. Darkness crept in on kitten feet. We sat and watched the night sky. There was no moon that night but the sky was very clear and the longer we sat the more we could see. Stars by the jillion came peeking out of the dark velvet blanket of night winking and blinking to us as we sat. The sky became a glowing dark blue bowl above us sprinkled by more stars that all of humanity could count in a million years. We sat there holding hands like two teenagers at a movie. Our chairs were so close together that the arms were touching. We listened to the night. Far far away there was the proverbial coyote singing in the night. From another corner came a reply and finally more joined the chorus. Each would sing and then another filling the night air with song. We listened to the night creatures as they scurried about. Pack rats and kangaroo rats scurried from their burrows and beetles and bugs of every sort scurried about avoiding the horn toads that had also come out for supper.

I noticed that Willas hand had gone very limp and soft and when I looked at her she was fast asleep. The lounge chairs would lean back and they were very comfortable. She had fallen asleep and she and Gus were sleeping softly. God was in his heaven and all was right with the world. I sat and watched her sleep and thought of all the places we had been. Fifty thousand miles and counting and only a few years ago she had not even been to the outer banks of NC. I watched this lady and day dreamed about our lives together. How we met and what life held for us in the future and how much I truly loved this lady. I sat there for a long moment just watching her sleep and listening to the song of the night concert in Zion National Park.

........''I'm cold....................
........I must have fallen asleep......................
.........lets go in the coach and cuddle and get warm''..................
She only had to say that once...........

God bless our troops and keep them safe......
Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
A lovely story, Seajay.

When we were in Zion we had an almost full moon, so no expansive night sky like you had. But we've been fortunate enough to experience that view in other locations in the southwest. It is truly amazing the number of stars you can see if you wait for your eyes to adjust.

And I love to hear the coyotes. Tom and I stood in the cold on the terraces at Mammoth in Yellowstone one February and listened to a lengthy serenade. I kept hoping we'd see one silhouetted on the opposite hill, but no such luck. Still, we enjoyed the beauty and solitude of the moment.

Wanting to have more of those experiences was a prime factor in our buying the Vista.

Fran
Floridafran is offline   Reply With Quote