Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 05:45 PM   #1

$15,000 & 2 months for interior repairs?

I'm an utter noob to this rv remodeling but I feel like I'm getting hosed with this quote.

They've said 6-8 weeks and around $15,000 for:

Replacing the carpet with hardwoods
Removing and replacing the headliner foam/lining
Sealing the exterior

I expected very different numbers...
CandyApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need several differing quotes. More research will bring the price within reason methinks.

When we had flooring replaced I had numbers from ~$8000 to sub $1000. We got it done for under $1000 and completed in one day.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 06:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
As far as flooring is concerned......do not take it to
an RV shop. A good floor layer will do a lot better....
and cheaper job.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
As far as flooring is concerned......do not take it to
an RV shop. A good floor layer will do a lot better....
and cheaper job.
Yup, this is how we did sub $1000...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

its just terrible what these rv shops for work. They do no better work than a carpenter or cabinet builder and charge foolish prices
Old 06-09-2017, 08:34 PM   #6

I took mine to a "RV" interior remodeling shop for an estimate and they wanted $3000.00 for just replacing the carpet in the bedroom and the front of the coach, doghouse, and two steps. I went to Lowes and bought the carpet, pad and did it myself for less than $300.00. The hardest part is the doghouse and removing the furniture. The trick to the doghouse is to remove the old carpet as carefully as possible so you have a pattern to precut the new carpet.
I also replaced the linoleum with hardwood and removed the booth for a table and chairs. All told I think I spend about 700-800 on everything.

Thanks
Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160306_152430054_HDR.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	164666   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160306_152943425.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	164667  

Name:	IMG_20160306_152542262.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	280.6 KB
ID:	164668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160306_152441350_HDR.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	164669  

afrohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:40 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
What work is being performed? What is the current condition ? What do you expect the final product to look like?

• Replacing the carpet with hardwoods
  • Removing and replacing the headliner foam/lining
  • Sealing the exterior

Its difficult to provide an estimate without knowing a LOT more detail But preferably, physically inspecting the MH.

Without knowing anything else, Red flags are going up when I see item #2 and #3

If there is water damage that needs to be repaired, this can add substantially.

What does "Sealing the Exterior " mean?? i.e. new roof, reseal/replace all vents, AC roof seal, remove all windows and reseal, separate all body seams (end caps) and reseal,, etc.

Make sure you know exactly what work is going to be performed with this quote. Ask the person to explain the process and how they arrived at these numbers. This will ensure that you and he are on the same page, and you know exactly what your getting for you money.

Then if your curious, shop around and ask for other quotes.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You need several differing quotes. More research will bring the price within reason methinks.

When we had flooring replaced I had numbers from ~$8000 to sub $1000. We got it done for under $1000 and completed in one day.
Wow, that's an incredible difference. I'd love to have it back in a day for $1000!
Old 06-10-2017, 10:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrohman View Post
I took mine to a "RV" interior remodeling shop for an estimate and they wanted $3000.00 for just replacing the carpet in the bedroom and the front of the coach, doghouse, and two steps. I went to Lowes and bought the carpet, pad and did it myself for less than $300.00. The hardest part is the doghouse and removing the furniture. The trick to the doghouse is to remove the old carpet as carefully as possible so you have a pattern to precut the new carpet.
I also replaced the linoleum with hardwood and removed the booth for a table and chairs. All told I think I spend about 700-800 on everything.

Thanks
Adam
That looks amazing. Love the tiny fireplace!

I would like to do the work myself, not just for saving funds, it would be fun to have a hand in the work and progress. But it's a more than I can take on to remove the headliner in particular.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
What work is being performed? What is the current condition ? What do you expect the final product to look like?

• Replacing the carpet with hardwoods
  • Removing and replacing the headliner foam/lining
  • Sealing the exterior

Its difficult to provide an estimate without knowing a LOT more detail But preferably, physically inspecting the MH.

Without knowing anything else, Red flags are going up when I see item #2 and #3

If there is water damage that needs to be repaired, this can add substantially.

What does "Sealing the Exterior " mean?? i.e. new roof, reseal/replace all vents, AC roof seal, remove all windows and reseal, separate all body seams (end caps) and reseal,, etc.

Make sure you know exactly what work is going to be performed with this quote. Ask the person to explain the process and how they arrived at these numbers. This will ensure that you and he are on the same page, and you know exactly what your getting for you money.

Then if your curious, shop around and ask for other quotes.
Sealing - not a new roof, and the vents were recently replaced (by the previous owner due to a minor leak), but a reseal/replace of all the window/door/vent seals since they are crumbling for the most part.
The previous owner also decided to do a DIY project and sealed a few windows improperly.

The headliner/felt/foam lining is my biggest concern because even where it hasn't leaked it's just old and crumbling, right down on to whomever is below and the carpet. And when that's removed it's going to leave behind a wicked mess on the carpet, which is in need of being replaced anyhow but this certainly reinforces that need.

I have a huge list of things I'd like to do with the interior but if those 3 items are going to be over $10,000 then that list gets shortened, drastically. And while I get that a majority of it is labor costs, and aside from the sealing issues/concerns none of it is very technical, I don't remotely see spending $8,000 on labor when there's some very decent day labor help that would cost a fraction of that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	333.8 KB
ID:	164720   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	164721  

Name:	IMG_1452.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	164722   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	164723  

Old 06-12-2017, 04:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I`ve replaced the carpet in several motor homes & TT -- The labor is usually around $1000.00, & it takes me a week to complete -- The hardest part is the removal of the bed, couches & ect -- Tearing out the old carpet is not an easy task either -- After the old carpet is removed, there is always something that needs to be repaired before the new carpet can go in -- Then the slide outs usually needs adjusting -- So, it`s not out with old & in with the new -- It`s work & takes time -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
I`ve replaced the carpet in several motor homes & TT -- The labor is usually around $1000.00, & it takes me a week to complete -- The hardest part is the removal of the bed, couches & ect -- Tearing out the old carpet is not an easy task either -- After the old carpet is removed, there is always something that needs to be repaired before the new carpet can go in -- Then the slide outs usually needs adjusting -- So, it`s not out with old & in with the new -- It`s work & takes time -- Bill Willard
this is not a 40' coach they are talking about
Old 06-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
Thankfully it's just the dinette that has to be removed, otherwise the carpet is all out in the open.

We decided to have the carpet replacement done professionally since they quoted about $1400 - which was far more reasonable than the $5,000+ given to us elsewhere. It will be closer to $1,900 I imagine since we're going with marmoleum instead of standard linoleum/economical carpet.

The headliner is another deal entirely.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
this is not a 40' coach they are talking about
That's probably a good thing since this project quickly went from a list of 15 items "to do", down to 3 or 4 must be done issues such as resealing and headliner... I can't imagine what it'd be like with a 40' coach.

Tags
interior, repair, repairs