Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #1

1500 watt inverter

I want to put two deep cycle batteries in the basement below my kitchen. I want to have a 1500 watt inverter on the counter. The wire from batteries to invert would be about 4 to 6 foot. Is number 4 wire big enough. Is there a size wire at that distance that will not loose current?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #2

Would it be smarter to have inverter closer to batteries and run say 10/2 house wire to receptacles on counter???

Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #3

Look at the info here: Inverter FAQ - DonRowe.com - Frequently Asked Questions about Power Inverters

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For 1500 watts I'd consider not 4ga but rather 4/0 (That is 0000 ga) for that run.

You can have a welding supplier make it up with lugs crimped on for you

EIther run the wires in a loom (That plastic piipe like thign) or tape them side by side for as much of the run as possible and DO NOT FORGET to fuse it at the battery with the proper "T" fuse. as recommended by the inverter manufacturer.

Considerations:
If the wire is too small, your power will be limited and the unit will quickly go into low-battery shut down.

If the wire is too big.. Well, electronically speaking, that is not possible.. (It just costs more)

If the wires run "helter Skelter" Sudden changes in load may cause problems (Laying them side side affects something called Impedence, this only affects the system when current changes)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #5

So when we say the inverter needs to be in a seperate compartment away from the batteries. Would having the the batteries in a plastic box, like you see in a boat, and the inverter along side. Keeping them in same basement compartment???
Old 06-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF the plastic box is sealed to the inverter and vented to the outdoors in a different area yes.

The thing you need to do is keep them breathing different air.

I do this by having the batteries in one compartment and the batteries.. Next door.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
So when we say the inverter needs to be in a seperate compartment away from the batteries. Would having the the batteries in a plastic box, like you see in a boat, and the inverter along side. Keeping them in same basement compartment???
If the cable run is less than 3 feet you could use 2/0 battery cable.
Three foot cable, 12v, voltage drop at 100 amps:
2/0 AWG - .05v
2 AWG - .1v
4 AWG - .15v
It won't take long to suck down 12v deep cycle batteries at that rate.
Got room for four 6v batteries?
garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #8

I'm still a little confused about where to place my batteries and inverter. I would like to have them all in one basement compartment!!! With not more than 3' of cable between them. Then I could run house ware to reach distant locations with out loosing so much watt-ages?? What would I have to do to make this plan work???
Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

From The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1):
Quote:
A word of Caution: Batteries contain a sulfuric acid electrolyte which is a highly corrosive liquid. Don't get any on you! In case of a spill or splash, immediately flush the affected area with lots of cold water to dilute the acid. A mixture of baking soda and water can also be used to neutralize the acid, but watch out for the foam that will be generated! Be careful and pay attention to what you are doing! Also, avoid generating sparks, smoking or open flames in the vicinity of batteries.... batteries produce flammable hydrogen gas (remember the Hindenburg?) and can explode violently if the gas is ignited. This is especially important when batteries are housed inside any sort of compartment. Again, protective clothing and safety glasses are recommended to protect you in case of accident. Please treat batteries with the respect they deserve.
That is what this is all about. If the batteries are contained within a properly vented enclousure that has a positive out flow of battery gasses then they can reside in the same compartment as other electrical/electronic devices. It is the removal of the explosive gas that is of primary concern. This is why battery compartments are normally vented to open air and isolated from other electrical devices.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:51 PM   #10

One idea: Put the inverter in a plastic box. Mount 1 small 120 volt AC pancake fan to the side of the box. Power it from the inverter so that it comes on anytime the inverter is running. Here is the trick: Pull the supply air to the box from another area of the RV via some kind of hose, such as a 6 foot shop vac. As long as the box is sealed (including the holes where the hose and cables come in), you will have "safe air" flowing to cool the inverter.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #11

Am I under the right impression. If I have the battery's and inverter in a ventilated area. They can be near each other?? If I was to run house wire from the inverter to the appliance that might be 20' away is the way to handle the lay out???
Old 06-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I would keep the DC cabling short as possible and extend the AC wiring for the long run.

Batteries emit hydrogen gas (remember the Hindenburg?). If you have something that potentially makes a spark come in contact with the hydrogen.... "Oh the humanity!!"

My advice is, never install any electronics in the battery bay. There may be ways to do it safely, but I won't do it. Instead, install them in an adjacsent bay and run wire through the wall.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter