Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 03:13 AM   #1

1966 Holiday PU Camper

Well after a week of being down with the flu it was back at the camper repairs. We got this camper for real cheap and the guy we bought it from had already tore out all the rot on the overhead bunk. That was the good part, the bad part was he thought he could repair it, WRONG! It was a Craigslist deal but damn he was a real great guy.We looked and looked and saw so much rot and water damage on fairly newer campers it was just a shame. And most of these were advertised as,"No Rot, No Water damage always stored inside".
After repairing what was"repaired" in the framing I got the paneling up. I aint the best camper builder out there but I did get it sealed up and sturdy. I hope. Now if I can figure out where to light the pilot light for the oven.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0121.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	93342   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0113.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	93343  

Name:	DSCN0130.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	93344   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0133.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	93345  

Holiday1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Typically, the pilot light is almost all the way to the back of the oven. Get down on your hands and knees with a good flashlight and look near the back of the oven burner (the silver tube with holes). You should be able to see the thermocouple. The pilot will be near that.
Its unscientific, but just use a long match or a long barbeque lighter, turn the oven to "light" and wave the lit match in the general vicinity. In fact, just waving the lit match around various places on the burner will eventually locate and light the pilot, no matter where it is.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:35 AM   #3

Thanks HoneyBadger, I`ll give that a try.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM   #4

After lighting the pilot and baking anything in the oven, tell any of your fellow camp chefs to not turn the oven knob back all the way to OFF.

It is HOT in there and really painful to relight the oven pilot after baking for an hour. If you have to throw your baked goods back in the oven to finish or to keep warm, it's much easier if the pilot has stayed lit!
Old 05-08-2015, 02:41 AM   #5

Great advice MT4Runner
Old 05-09-2015, 09:42 PM   #6

Looks like you did a good job. I have the same thing going on. I bought a 1988 16 ' Jayco trailer last year and it needed all the walls torn out and the floor. I'm now building new cabinets for the stove, sinks and bath. I already fixed up the cabinet for the fridge and microwave and replaced the dining area. Been a big job and still have months of work to do but for $250 It still is a good deal. I had a 30' class A but 6 miles a gallon was too much.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 PM   #7

biker, that sounds like a HUGE job to tackle. Should be nice when its done too take over to Diamond lake or Lake of the Woods. I hope to be done by Memorial weekend to take camping up here on Mt Hood. Wife just finished the cushions for the dinette and curtains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0141.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	309.2 KB
ID:	93943   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0140.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	93944  

Name:	DSCN0139.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	93945  
Old 05-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #8

We are planing on a trip to socal to visit our son then hopefully we will be able to go north through Idaho and further. I was lucky the trailer came with a working AC. That is all it had .