Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
1966 Roadrunner Trailer

My wife and I made a deal on a 1966 Roadrunner Trailer. Its in great condition considering. I'm not sure why she wanted it since we have a pretty nice Country Coach, but I think its a girl thing... "Glamping" and all that. We should be picking it up tomorrow or Tuesday and I'll try and post up some pictures.

I have one big task. I guess like a number of other older TT's, this one has no 12v in it. A couple 110 lights and receptacles, but not much else. Gas light that I don't care for.

My plan is to run a completely independent 12 system, which should be the simplest way to go. I'm guessing, add a battery, add a simple fuse panel, enough for 3-4 circuits, i.e. lights, small stereo, fan. I plan to wire in a small smart charger so when I'm plugged in, it will charge the battery. But I'm guessing that in order to charge the battery when I'm pulling it, I'll need to run a 12 wire from the truck wiring harness. That's my biggest question. I do want to charge the batter when I'm running, just not positive the best way to do that. I suppose I can wire it in parallel to the truck battery, but there must be a simpler way.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

The othe issue I want to tackle is a simple awning. This thing is only about 15 ft long so it doesn't have to be much. Any suggestions?

Toni & Leila
2005 Country Coach Inspire 51431
Orting, WA
courtjester is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:39 AM   #2
Sounds like a nice lil trailer. Look forward to some pics.

I have a feeling that you'll want or need a converter/inverter for help in keeping the battery charged when not in use or storage. Even at a campsite, you'll want to keep plugged into a 110v to not constantly running battery down and convenience.

You can run all new wiring up from underneath trailer through protective wire loom and fish up to whatever outlet you need.

Also some screw-on conduit/loom clips to hold up wire loom in place.

The trailer tail/clearance lights are already running 12v, so just running to a converter/inverter for charging up the trailer's aux battery is only thing to wire into/out of.

If you want, television/DVD you might want to rethink some of the outlets and how hooked up. If these are of no concern, then it will make the job easier.

The gas light, I have no thoughts about. Don't know if it can be converted or if there's any modern 12v system that can take it's place for safety concerns in keeping with the nostalgia. Or trying to find parts for repairs if needed on a gas lamp.

Awning. Does it need to be one? How about a simple popup canopy like you see at Walmart in a 10x10 for $89? Maybe finding one made with better material and heavier gauge metal to last.

Other than that, you'll need something custom made, and it'll destroy the originality of trailer as it didn't come with one.

Del & Jerre w/Isis our English Bull Terrier
The Cougar's Den
1984 Fleetwood Prowler "E"
JaycoEagle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
Does the trailer have electric brakes? If so the 7 pin connector has a spot for charging a battery, obviously you would need a 7 pin connector on your tow vehicle.

If no 7 pin conector exist, I would run a 10ga wire with CB back from the tow vehicle battery,

Also install a battery isolator
2005 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB
W22 Workhorse Chassis 8.1
CJ7365 is online now   Reply With Quote