Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2016, 02:48 PM   #15

Been busy guys.

I bought a carb off craigslist and she runs a way better than when I got her.

Scored some Alcoa aluminum wheels and new tires on Craigslist as well. They were pretty crusty when I got them. About 5 hours of buffing and polishing and they are looking pretty good.

My taillights and brake lights are now working. Thanks to whoever "rewired" them in ONLY red wires. They also never used solder or a even 1 connector. Literally just twisted wires covered in electrical tape.

I also got all my furniture in. Its temporarily screwed down at the moment. I will do flooring next.
It goes in the shop this week to replace the old sagging leaf springs.

I finally took it to the beach with some friends and went surfing. I got stopped 3 times by different people wondering what the heck it is.
70Starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2016, 04:29 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh wow! That looks even cool from the back - first time you posted a pic of that. Wheels look sharp!

Is the kitchen, bath going to be in the rear?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Oh wow! That looks even cool from the back - first time you posted a pic of that. Wheels look sharp!

Is the kitchen, bath going to be in the rear?
Yes, I will be building a bed frame, kitchen and bath in the rear.

Got some nice shots of her last night!

Old 10-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #18

Old 10-23-2016, 05:01 PM   #19

Thats an awesome old ride. Up in the greater northeast that would be sitting in a farm field with chickens living in it ! Can't wait to see how it turns ot.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:48 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Man, it does have a great look to it! I love the seats, looks like they came out of a old New Yorker. And the wheels look great! Does it have any walls in the back to shore up the roof? Also, I noticed it has a awning rail on it already! Also it has the 14"/14" roof vent in the middle, which is the same size opening that the roof A/C's use, and it may already be wired for the A/C also! Also I noticed the vents up high in the rear? To let the air flow out since there are no rear windows? If so, it may stay pretty cool inside, as long as it is insulated good! Looking forward to your progress! Rail!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Man, it does have a great look to it! I love the seats, looks like they came out of a old New Yorker. And the wheels look great! Does it have any walls in the back to shore up the roof? Also, I noticed it has a awning rail on it already! Also it has the 14"/14" roof vent in the middle, which is the same size opening that the roof A/C's use, and it may already be wired for the A/C also! Also I noticed the vents up high in the rear? To let the air flow out since there are no rear windows? If so, it may stay pretty cool inside, as long as it is insulated good! Looking forward to your progress! Rail!
Thanks!

I want to get an awning next but I have no idea what kind fits into that little rail on top.

I plan on utilizing all those vents in the rear and also maybe cutting out some porthole windows.

It actually stays pretty cool when parked in the sun all day but I live close to the beach so it doesn't get too hot.

I don't think she'll tackle too many hills so it will probably just stay a PCH clogger anyway. Mostly coastal camping.
Old 10-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #22

The ol girl is in Santa Ana at a stereo shop getting 6 Polk Audio 6.5" speakers, a 10" subwoofer and a 7" screen with cd/dvd/nav/backup cam installed. I also added some small LED lights and another light with a switch for the rear area where the kitchen will go. I think I spent about $45 Amazon for all the lights.

Then they call me to let me know that my door fell off!

So I ordered some new hinges. They were $170 for the pair and turns out that they are old refrigerator door hinges.

Oh well, at least I'll have some nice shiny hinges when this is over.

If I get it back in time this weekend I'm going to lay down some vinyl (fake wood) flooring and maybe do some paneling on the walls.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:03 PM   #23

Be careful with that 318.
I had one in a van.
They have a notoriously small rear main bearing and do not like overheating or log uphills under load.
Looks awesome
Old 02-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #24

Nice looking rig for the age.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #25

It's been a little while since I updated this thread so here are some photos of what's been going on.

first I had to do something with this motor. She was going too slow and using too much fuel. New digital ignition, fixed some exhaust leaks and a carb tune (along with some new chrome doo dads) and she's running a lot smoother and cooler. I got her up to 75 and could maybe get it up to 80 but it's pretty sketchy at those speeds. I can cruise at 55-65 pretty easily now.

Interior coming together.

I also put a door in the rear so I can slide surfboards in and out. The other side of this door will be my bed frame. That way I can store boards/luggage under my bed

The floor boards were completely rotted out and so was a panel under a small leak by the window.

Found some cool 70's cup holders on ebay and made some door panels for them. Complete with ashtrays and cigarette lighter!

Old 03-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #26

Orange shag?? Vintage!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
It would be a shame to ruin that cool roof line with an AC! How about using a Vintage Air setup like the hot rod guys use? You could have the evaporator mounted just about anywhere. Central AC!!
Open the doors and windows when you are stopped.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
It would be a shame to ruin that cool roof line with an AC! How about using a Vintage Air setup like the hot rod guys use? You could have the evaporator mounted just about anywhere. Central AC!!
Open the doors and windows when you are stopped.
I live a block from the beach in Southern California and don't plan on any desert trips till I get a lot more finished. I'm really in no hurry to get ac. My house doesn't have it and we do alright. The rv is pretty well insulated and even over the summer it didn't get too bad. Since then I've tinted some windows. I need to build my bedframe and kitchen before I worry about that.

One day tho...

Tags
dodge