Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
You seriously need to get a temp gun and start searching for where you're shedding heat, because you shouldn't be losing that much that quickly. I've got 1" thick walls with very little insulation in them and even in 5-10F degree temps with gusting winds I wasn't losing heat that badly....
lol i have a two huge bay windows...I have two large side windows in living room plus the windows beside drivers/passenger seat...etc etc ...I move this thing around so I'm not going to insulate the windows obviously... hense the need for woodstove...anyway you cut you just cant beat radiant heat period...I keep rambling on about this woodstove thing and I wanna put one in it's just that I am in the middle of house reno's right now....that is why i'm staying in my motorhome right now....

Hey My biggest problem is that my tanks are frozen and I need to have them not frozen...lol anyone know what my options are as far as heat pads...or heat tape?? The tanks sit low and I dont want anything to get ripped off when I drive over a small snow wind row...
I might have to build a box but lets hear some ideas.
I was thinking of making a box around them out of puckboard then silicone the edges and pump heat in there from my furnace. The watertanks are all in side and they stay nice and toasty warm. With the puck board I dont have to worry about anything rotting. And for the grey water I can build a by pass so that water just drians on ground. Its just shower water so no different than washing your car on the street.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Dump blue winter de-icing windshield solution into the tanks, the methanol solution dissolves ice.

I use that or pink mixed into the black tank (2 bottles for my 30 gallon combined type tank) to keep it from freezing solid in extreme temps, I don't keep the gray water onboard in those temps. It gets immediately run off from the rig.

On the woodstove subject, you need to hit a Harbor Freight in the US some time, they have a nice ready to go wood stove that would be about the right size for your rig for about $169 US. It's flat top, so you can also use it as a stove, if wanted.

Cast Iron Boxwood Heater / Stove

On the subject of your heater, you can adjust the frequency with which it runs by adjust how many degrees the temp is allowed to change before it cycles.

On most basic mechanical thermostats if you take the face plate off you'll see a little number scale and what looks like a little sliding adjustment tab. Slide the adjustment to the biggest number (It goes in 0.xx increments up to 1.x), this will reduce the cycling frequency.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
Dump blue winter de-icing windshield solution into the tanks, the methanol solution dissolves ice.

I use that or pink mixed into the black tank (2 bottles for my 30 gallon combined type tank) to keep it from freezing solid in extreme temps, I don't keep the gray water onboard in those temps. It gets immediately run off from the rig.

On the woodstove subject, you need to hit a Harbor Freight in the US some time, they have a nice ready to go wood stove that would be about the right size for your rig for about $169 US. It's flat top, so you can also use it as a stove, if wanted.

Cast Iron Boxwood Heater / Stove

On the subject of your heater, you can adjust the frequency with which it runs by adjust how many degrees the temp is allowed to change before it cycles.

On most basic mechanical thermostats if you take the face plate off you'll see a little number scale and what looks like a little sliding adjustment tab. Slide the adjustment to the biggest number (It goes in 0.xx increments up to 1.x), this will reduce the cycling frequency.
I already have the washer fluid in the grey tanks,put 1 1/2 jugs in but guess it wasn't enough...still wont drian. as for that pink stuff it will freeze solid but it doesn't expand like water would and break pipes.I tried putting windshield washer once in my black tank and one hell of an oudour was coming out of the vent on the roof...my oil field gas moniter was going off ,bells and alarms...someone said you mix all that stuff together and it makes mustard gas..haha!

That stove is awsome although it would be pretty hefty for a MH. The shipping to Canada for that would be crazy wouldn't it?
Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLNSMOKE View Post
I already have the washer fluid in the grey tanks,put 1 1/2 jugs in but guess it wasn't enough...still wont drian. as for that pink stuff it will freeze solid but it doesn't expand like water would and break pipes.I tried putting windshield washer once in my black tank and one hell of an oudour was coming out of the vent on the roof...my oil field gas moniter was going off ,bells and alarms...someone said you mix all that stuff together and it makes mustard gas..haha!

That stove is awsome although it would be pretty hefty for a MH. The shipping to Canada for that would be crazy wouldn't it?
That's why you plan a trip down to the states, get the vent stack material and the roof vent already installed and temporarily capped, drive down, buy stove, install it while state side and no one's the wiser .

I discovered that in my experience with the pink stuff, that when mixed, it slushes, but the concentration has to be right.

If your tanks were inside the chassis, you could simply go and order some tank heating pads (They make 110 volt and 12 volt models) and fasten them to the tanks and run them for a while to thaw your ice cubes.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #19

I have some small heat exchangers out of a snowmobile that i could rig up easy becsuae my coolant lines run right to the back where my auxilary heater is.
Just box it in with puck board and mount the exchangers in there some where... Hey i got a plan... Run the block heater off the generator, then have an inline electric pump to circulate the coolant...then you wouldn 't need to run the engine to heat up the coolant... Or have a tank behind the woodstove that held coolant as well and the stove would heat it then have bypass valves and inline pump... Hmm the gears r turning...
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya'll just need to invest in a Espar heating system, penultimate solution to extreme temperature camping.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #21

I have seen that but only the ones that r used to get vehicles started in cold... But ya guess that would work..
Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Espar Auxiliary heating system:

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Aux Heat Planning
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Aux Heat Install - Step 1: ESPAR Rough-in
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Aux Heat Install - Step 2: Initial Integration
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Aux Heat - Functional Testing Phase
Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #23

Looked into it but it makesvnoise and burns fuel so it's out... I'll stick to the woodstove thing.. Right now it is hard to even buy diesel im my town right now... Endless supply of fire wood though...