Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Post 1971 Gladiator Ford E300 Chassis 302 V8

Will be getting photos posted in the next couple days until then who made Gladiator? The RV has 114000 miles and was last licensed in 1996 and has been parked at my dad's farm since. The RV was my late brothers and he did not do a lot of travelling with it.
Here is where I need some help the overhead bunk has taken on water and appears to be sagging which I have noticed on other poorly maintained Class 3 buggies. The roof has been leaking this is evident by the paneling delaminating in cabinet's. The roof I can use a rubber sheet that is glued down just hope I can find white.
We had to pull it out of the field with the tractor as all tires were rotted and by the time I got it to the shop most of the tires came off the rims. I hate 16.5 rims they are dangerous as a low tire can come of the rim, I tried to put 16" under the buggie and the 16's work on the rear but are way to big for the front any help on this ?
Will have to replace brake lines mainly for safety, while under the RV I did notice no rust paint is still shiny which is amazing, other item I noticed is the body looks to have been sawed off from the cab rearward. Lots of questions but I hope to have it home by next weekend. Thanks for reading.
Jim
wisconsinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow. I don't know who made that rig but it looks like you have a nice restoration project to accomplish. Good luck and show us some pictures.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:40 AM   #3
bap

first of all welcome to a great website,,,,there are alot of helpfull people on here eager to help in anyway they can----cant wait to see the pics...
Old 08-09-2015, 07:33 AM   #4

I am back, on Saturday I spent most of the day trying to get the brakes bled and this is getting to be a real pain in the ars. New master cyl and I cannot get any fluid to the front brakes I have fluid at the proportioning valve but nothing at the front wheel hoses. The rear is going nicely a lot of air and a little fluid, I can drive it if I have only one of the sides working, much rather have the fronts. It is 20 miles from my Fathers to my home but I have a pinch point at Taylors Falls, MN where I have to cross the river and a pretty good downhill grade and lots of tourists.
Old 08-12-2015, 06:39 AM   #5

Here are two photos of the rv I am hoping to have it home on Fri 14 I was hoping to have the brakes and this is not going to be. the rubber hose for the front wheels must be swollen up as I cannot get any fluid to the wheel cyl. The over hang appears to have some serious rot and also the rear hatch the ply has seriously delaminated.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

Hello from Cushing WI,
Just got some photos of the overcab bunk the only thing keeping it together was the aluminum skin every board was rotted and punky. Some in my family are calling me a bit wacky and I do have to admit I could very well be. Well I got the RV for free and the lumber I have a lot of it lying around one thing I am doing is using screws 4" to hold the various pieces together and also Tite Bond 3 glue. I have both the left and right side framing done on the overcab as well as the front frame what I need to do the next dry day is to install the plywood deck as the side frames sit on top of the plywood. Ok here are the photos.

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/wisconsinjimmy/DSCF2873_zpspx8takpu.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/wisconsinjimmy/DSCF2872_zpsk5gryclx.jpg[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/wisconsinjimmy/DSCF2870_zps465xswtk.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/wisconsinjimmy/DSCF2869_zpsj9zugula.jpg[/IMG]

Well there you have the front
Old 08-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #7

Question??? I have noticed that I cannot seem to get the siding to line back up with the framing, I would imagine that when the Camper was built the siding was attached to the wood frame and than trimmed to fit the contour of the framing. I am now trying to get the siding to line back up and even though I rebuilt the overhead bunk to the exact specs I am not lining up with the trimmed edges.
Also the windows do they seal the entire window or just on the flange??
Old 09-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #8

I am now in the process of installing the paneling on the rear wall and the right side of the RV and I can say it was not easy with the rotten wood and humongous staples and the loss of blood I got it done, I have to cut out the paneling for the right side window will do that in the morning as the glue should be dry. my next item on the rebuild list is the roof trusses. The trusses have sagged about an 1" to 1 1/2" in the middle and I am trying to figure out the best plan of attack, do I remove each truss and replace it with a 2x4 or do I glue and screw a 2x2 to the old truss. Anyway that is where I am at.

Tags
chassis, ford