Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 PM   #29

Checked out the pictures before and just went back in case I missed them . Saw your layout and its similar to mine . Actually changing the sleeping area like your layout picture . Didn't see any actual pictures of the inside . Would love to see any if you have them .
forcedfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #30

Vintage RV Owners Club
I had pulled back some of the pictures as they we even confusing to even me! I have added some of them back to the Picasa site. The kitchen is still under construction! The bathroom and Living/bed room is pretty much finished! The floors are done but for the cab floor. I am putting new carpet on the front floor in the cab.We have a new roof, that You can see in these upgraded photos. The one album titled kitchen rebuild shows the booth dinette all down to the floor as I am going to put a countertop and storage cabinets there. The Old countertop with the stove and sink is going to be redone. I have the goodies bit for the countertop itself. Same for that new countertop where the dinette was and top of the fridge too!! The Sofa on the passenger side I am thinking about taking out and making a desk there. Now if I can get two things...My wifes permission to do teh desk and the money to begin the rebuild in the kitchen!!!
I would have most of the kitchen done but the pickup died and I had to switch vehicles and gears real fast!!! Once the trailer is finished i can return to finishing the rebuild and make a few bucks to do that with!!
Anyway, Check in later, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 PM   #31

Thanks for the pictures looks like it is coming along nicely .
Old 04-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #32

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah, Once I get another chance to work on it again. The kitchen is all that is really left to do Other than repainting the stripes back on. Right now I am beat so I am going to get a dinner and check back later, Dan
Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #33

Well , got enough money to buy the stuff to start the roof repair , I am going to order the epdm stuff next week . Best price I could find was $213 and $37 shipping for some 40 mil epdm thats black on one side and white on the other . 9'6" by 25' .Looks like I need Dicor for the sealant on the edges . Going to put new sheeting under it . Any suggestions on what to use to adhere the epdm to the wood ? Was hoping to find the adhesive local . The weight of it makes shipping expensive, let alone the $25 per container hazmat fee . What are you guys using for the ceiling ? I intend to redo it . I read some refrences to using whiteboard . Basicaly the same stuff as pegboard without the holes in it with a nice shiny white surface ? I guess wallpaer on the walls will work after I strip the old wallpaper . I know I need to look for vinyl wallpaper , anything else on the wallpaper specs I need to know to choose the right stuff to make it last ? Planned on picking up a 10ft by 30ft tarp Monday so I can start to take the old stuff off and inspect the framing . Its too darn cold here this weekend . It was 70 degrees mid last week and warmer Friday , now its 38 degrees . Did some looking and it looks like I do have the old style split rims . Does anyone have any ideas where to start to figure out what will interchage with them . I think I found a chassis plate inside . Is this going to help me at all . Its a dodge 413 engine , should I be looking at older Dodges ? Thanks a lot for eveyones help . You guys have been a wealth of information already . I think I have read through most every post in the vintage section this past week or so . Still hoping to see some updates on Freebie and other's to learn from . A friend of mine has a 30 ft travel trailer I might drive up and take a look of how its made and what they used inside . Its 8 years old , that should help some with ideas .
Old 04-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #34

Vintage RV Owners Club
If they are 16" wheels, you can go with new wheels that are 16" and tubeless tires in the 7.50 X 16 size or you could go low pro and go with 235/85R16 or 245/85R16 those are the big three and they have different tire weights I can't remember all but they are available in 10 ply and I think someone said 12 plys too! I would go with the 12 plys if they still make them. If they are 17" tires, yes they will need to be replaced. Try a low/pro 19.5 size like a 225/70R19.5 I think they are close but the bolt pattern might be the main issue, Don't know if there is anything else for it! Low pro's are rated in 12 plys rating I am not to sure but I think they may even have a higher rated tire. That should give you a few food for thoughts!
Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #35

Well , I have been working on the MH , started by looking at the hydroflame furnace . Found out the high limit was bad , ordered a new limit switch for $12 and it fixed that problem . I tore off some of the ceiling to invetigate the leaking roof .Decided to tear the whole thing off and build it right . It had been redone before , and the only supports in the roof framing front to back were around vents and the ac unit . So I am in the process of tearing the whole thing off and building a better setup . Started by taking the roof A/C unit off . Compressor wasn't running on it and it turned out to be a bad thermostat in it . I need to contact coleman and get a part number for the replacement . I took down all of the wall cabinets on the ceilng and tore the first section of the roof off in the back of the MH today . Took longer to scrape all of the sealant off of the screws on the side moldings that transition from roof to outside walls . I bet I took out 150 + screws today . I am going to pick up materials to start replacing the framing . I am going to build it in sections . Figured I would redo the inside walls while the roof is off and do the whole thing a section at a time . I couldn't imagine replacing the ceiling without doing the roof anyway . I'll try to take some pics tomorow . I also got my original brochure I got from eBay in the mail . Wanted to see what she looked like when she was new . I'll scan and upload some pics of that too . Its pretty neat . I am considering residing the outside in filon or frp , but so far $1300 is the best price I can find for the material . Still too much cost to justify that .
Old 04-23-2008, 01:41 AM   #36

Yeppers,
The roof is a common starting point for rebuilds on mh's.If you have figured a time it should take and then double that,that would be about right.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:32 AM   #37

Forcedfab,

Welcome to the vintage forum. you will really like it here. Congrats on the new to you rig. I have embarked on this same journey as you but with a class C. I will agree that the roof is probably the biggest job but the best one to do when you are working on prior leak damage. just tear it out and build new. I have a lot fo pics in my thread on building my rv if you need references. I did strengthen mine up and I added thicker plywood to the top of the roof as well to make mine a walk on roof since I plan to have this rig at the race track. You were looking @ EPDM for your roof. I found a place near me in Cincy that had the roof in white, it's 60 mil and I got a 25X10 for 230. I see you are in OH not sure where but that may help. if you want info email me and I will get that to you. Between the EPDM the sealer, glue, and the seal tape I have just shy of 500 bucks invested. if you count the wood for the roof the frame and screws I have about 650 in the roof alone. it's expensive but it's all new strong enough to walk on, and you have piece of mind knowing what you have is safe and strong. if I can lend any advice let me know.

The other guys on here are great references for any thing you need as well. you can really learn a lot here. I will be honest when i started this project I was a little uneasy about it not knowing what Iwas getting into, but after reading the posts following other build etc. I got the courage to tear my own rig apart.

So good luck and know that we are all watching!

lol

Good luck

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:45 AM   #38

Thanks for the welcome Freebie . I am in Xenia , which is 15 minutes from Dayton . Thats a great price on the epdm , if you can pass contact info for the supplier along it would be greatly appreciated . I have checked out your entire rebuild thread probably 10 times . The pictures really help . I need to go take more to document my progress . I am still debating on what to use for the ceiling . How are you planning to finish yours ? I would be fine using the thrifty white board , but I can't seem to locate the trim to cover the seams . Not sure if its called T channel or H channel .

I planned on using 3/8" for the roof , the 1/4" doesn't provide enough support in my opinion . I tried to get the old wallpper off inside in the back of the MH , and it is tearing the paneling apart . I am going to pickup new paneling today for the back of the MH and take out the old , take the windows in the back out and replace it while the roof is off .
Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #39

For my insides I am using the 1/8" luaun board and the 3/8" on the top. I am painting a lot of the walls and the cabinets and we are using a paintable textured wall paper for the ceiling. as far as trim I am using some 3/4 flat trim from Home Depot and I am using quarter round or corner trim for everything else. I will have pics of how I am going about the ceiling. I will be starting that in the next week or so. I have to get the rest of the sheet metal on the front which I hope to start by the end of the week. I will keep you posted.

I don't think I would use the the white board on the cieling. it's only treated on one side. I would use the luaun board. it's 9-10 bucks a sheet and moisture resistant. that's what's on all of my in side stuff. Plus if you don't have one this is a great excuse to buy a nail gun. I have bought a brad nailer and a finish nailer for this project have have used the crap out of them saves so much time.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #40

ForcedFab,

here is the place I bought the EPDM from

North Coast Commercial Roofing Systems
227 Circle Freeway Dr
Cincinnati, OH 45246

Here is the place I bought the glue, tape, and sealer from.

ABC Supply Co Inc
513-542-1222
4860 Spring Grove Ave, OH

If you come this way let me know I have a gallon of glue left over that I am not going to use. I will sell it to you cheaper than you can get it from them. I am not going to use it and some one might as well.

Let me know.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #41

Thanks for the info Freebie . I might be interested in that gallon you have left . If this rain would stay gone for more than a day I might be able to get more of the roof done . So far I have 2 4x8 sections ripped off , 2 new ceiling sections replaced , and the framing up top for the 2 sections done . Just went out and checked and it looks like water is puddling on the tarp and one section had a small leak onto my new ceiling . Had to climb up the ladder in the rain and put a second tarp on top . Looks like rain untill Saturday afternoon. Fun fun , doesn't look like it hurt the ceiling . Got a lot done in the rear bedroom area this last week. , here are some pics from today .

Couldn't get all of the old wallpaper off , so we skimmed over the walls in 1/8th" masonite and put up a nice textured vinyl wallpaper over that . Built the overhead cabinets from scratch with solid oak frames . I am going to do solid oak raised panel doors when I get the time .

Here is a few more I forgot , built the frame for the rear bed too.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:47 PM   #42

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow!! That home is coming along great!! I like that wallpaper you are using. Makes me want to change our plans...