Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 PM   #43

Thanks .... Picked up the wallpaper from Lowes . I'll have to let you know the exact name , but their out in the RV right now.

Went outside last night during the rain and found my tarp sprung a leak over the second 4x8 sheet on the ceiling . I quickly put another tarp on top and cleaned up the water inside . Was maybe a cup of water , but I went out today and you can see the area where it bled through the ceiling . I am going to have to rip that panel back off and replace it .... aghh !

Rained here most of today and tornado sirens went off . They spotted funnel clouds about 12 miles away from us on 2 different occasions about 20 minutes apart . Don't think they touched down and did any damage though .

Can't wait for a nice dry week to pound out some more work on the RV . I have been looking for some decent flush mount 12v lights to mount under the cabinets in the rear for some nice accent lighting , but all I can find locally is 110v . I would much rather have 12v so they could be used whether we are plugged in or not . Looks like its time to search for some online .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
forcedfab, I have nexer seen a flush mounted 12 volt before. Good luck with the search. Shame you had to pull that panel back off, but glad you and friends and family ok!!!!

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:26 AM   #45

Halogens require LOTS of airspace due to high operating temps. As do Xenon. "Low Voltage" lights are, generally, 12vDC (read!) and you can operate without the transformer on a 12vDC system. All of our campers lighting system is 12vDC and I have used some of the Low voltage landscaping lights (with no transformer... direct wire into 12vDC system) in our camper (lights to "wash" walls for times when we don't need alot of light...) in combination with 12vDC flourescent lighting (overall and task lighting).

check here (click on page numbers)
http://www.outwatercatalogs.com/2007...age_number=561

Maximum load refers to the max wattage the lights add up to.

Outwater Plastics also has extrusions (both in metal & plastic) that were often used in our Vintage RVs. If you like what you see here, then get their free catalog. Their website is a pain to view unless you have a super fast connection... Just get their master catalog!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi, I used Fluorescent lighting in ours! All 12 volt!Somewhat harsh but great light for 12 Volt Systems!! I can see so much better with them when I am posting on the computer!!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #47

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wallaby Dan:
...I used Fluorescent lighting in ours!... Somewhat harsh... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can use the "warm" light bulbs. Stay away from the "cool" light ones. Puts out a harsh bluish coloured light rather than the warmer yellowish light. The warm bulbs are also easier on your eyes. As you probably already know, any standard flourescent light bulb can be used in flourescent fixtures with a 12vDC ballast (usually electronic ballast)
Old 05-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #48

Thanks for the links .... I looked at several stores at there landscaping section , but nothing flush mount . Found some slim ones , but I am really looking for something 2-4 watts , just really mood lighting . Definitely not a 50w halogen , way too much heat . Not really looking for led either , just the good old fashioned glow of a regular light . We had solar powered led landscaping lights in our front flowerbed and I couldn't stand them . I just ripped all of those out today and put in good oldfashioned hardwired incadesent lights .

These are exactly what I was looking for , but I want 4-6 of them , couldn't see spending $100 a piece . Thanks for the links Lorna

These aren't bad at $17 each

This is really interesting

Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #49

I'm just using standard surface mount thin-lite. I had originally bought some real cheapies thru JC Whitney. My plan was to replace the cheapies as they failed with the more expensive Thin-lite (also thru JC Whitney as they had the best price). I had to buy a pile of lights, etc in a short length of time on order to get this RV ready to roll. The cheapie lights lasted over a year. I wouldn't buy the cheapie units again as they "burnt" and melted the plastic housing.

BTW, we use 7W light bulbs in our "landscape lighting".
Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 PM   #50

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yeah Lorna, We have the warm lights for the home.They are bright but still don't hurt your eyes!I still have regular lights in the storage boxes and four in the coach itself. but I needed a little light there not trying to see in the dark so It has been working out pretty good!!
Forcedfab, Have you thought about string lights?? I am thinking about them for outside when the awning is out! My awning is that Weatherpro and will retract if the winds get up, I am looking in to see if I can use that track in the tube and mount them there. They do have them in severial colors too! I think I saw them in 12 volt models too!! Just an Idea....
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM   #51

Well, after getting the first 2 4x8 panels done inside and out with whiteboard inside , 1 1/2" foam in the middle , and 3/8 plywood on top , I realize its now sagging in the middle about 3/8" on the inside and outside . Thats no good , the inside looks horrible and the water will never run off the roof . Nice waste of a few days of work and $100 materials . Planning on ripping it of and trying this again , this time with luan inside for the ceiling so I can nail it up from the inside . Anyone with experience replacing a roof and ceiling have any suggestions ? My frame was square and flat to begin with . Looked good untill I screwed the plywood on . Maybe I should have used a post jack inside to support my weight while attaching the foam and the plywood ???? Really getting dissappointed at this point . Might not make my plans on taking the MH out on July 4th at this rate .
Old 05-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #52

Vintage RV Owners Club
They used ceiling jacks on ours when they were putting the roof on.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #53

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by forcedfab:
Anyone with experience replacing a roof and ceiling have any suggestions ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Read thru the Vintage Forum. I believe Dan, Fleamarketeer & I (mine piggybacked on one or both of theirs) has described a roof rebuild.

From the outside - in, this is how mine is constructed.... sheet metal, foamboard, luan, anaglypta wallpaper. And I don't walk on our roof much. Although I walked all over it in order to patch, seal & roof coat it (I wasn't too lightweight when I did it). All the interior partion walls & tall cabinets give the roof it's strength and support. We did add a partion wall in the bedroom area. Was the living room/bedroom but since it's just the two of us... we didn't need a living room. The partion wall we added (2X2 rock maple framing... we had the maple) really stabilized the whole camper (both roof & side walls).

NOTE: Our roof construction is original to the Class C. We rebuilt the rear section of the roof from the interior. If we had stripped the roof off from the outside, we would have added a layer of plywood before replacing the metal exterior skin.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:03 AM   #54

Forcedfab,

I put my luan on the frame then put it on the roof and screwed it down. that may help. I got s small sag on one par but it's not real bad. as far as the roof drainage, If I had to do it over again I would round out the top of the roof. If you are replacing the whole thing I would look in to doing that to help with the drainage problem. a slight dome will make a world of difference.

Keep us posted on the progress, work looks great so far.

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #55

Well , I ripped the 2 panels off and built new ones . New frames with luan attached with liquid nails and tons of nails , screwed the frames together and got them fastened back on the MH . I used a post jack this time and it looks much better . Had to throw some plywood back on top and cover it up with the tarp , bad weather is on the way tonight . Should be able to work on it tomorrow afternoon and get the foam cut and plywood on the top . I'll try to get some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and help .
Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #56

Any new updates? making progress? How's it going?

Freebie is offline   Reply With Quote