Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

Just joined this site a few days ago after a week's worth of browsing . Thanks for all of the great rebuild posts . Going to look at buying my first rv tomorrow . Anyone have any ideas of what exactly it is based on the pictures .

Here is all of the info I have . The guy has agreed to take $700 for it if I like it .

I have a 1972 motor home for sale. It has a good running Chrysler 413 Big Block engine, automatic transmission, dual exhaust and all working appliances; fridge, stove, water pump, generator, water heater, furnace, etc. I sustained water damage on the roof over the winter, and to be honest, just don't have the time to work on it any more.
The engine and trans work great but I've encountered other minor issues over the past few years (electrical groudning issues - old wiring, rusty connections)that I don't want to deal with any longer.
Someone with a little experience would be able to get this motor home fully road worthy again, or just purchase the unit for all the appliances, or just the engine and trans.
I'm either going to sell the complete unit or part it out. Make me an offer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:04 PM   #2

Just joined this site a few days ago after a week's worth of browsing . Thanks for all of the great rebuild posts . Going to look at buying my first rv tomorrow . Anyone have any ideas of what exactly it is based on the pictures .

Here is all of the info I have . The guy has agreed to take $700 for it if I like it .

I have a 1972 motor home for sale. It has a good running Chrysler 413 Big Block engine, automatic transmission, dual exhaust and all working appliances; fridge, stove, water pump, generator, water heater, furnace, etc. I sustained water damage on the roof over the winter, and to be honest, just don't have the time to work on it any more.
The engine and trans work great but I've encountered other minor issues over the past few years (electrical groudning issues - old wiring, rusty connections)that I don't want to deal with any longer.
Someone with a little experience would be able to get this motor home fully road worthy again, or just purchase the unit for all the appliances, or just the engine and trans.
I'm either going to sell the complete unit or part it out. Make me an offer.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
I can't enlarge the emblem on the front but reminds me of the Diplomats or Executive model...
Don't look to bad..Wonder what the damage is inside?
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:15 PM   #4

Talked to the owner tonight . He said he has owned it for the last 25 years , a lot of which it was stored under a pole barn . He said he spent the winter in California (It's in Ohio) He said it was parked in his backyard this year and when he got back , he noticed it developed a small leak over the winter . He said he got on top and a few small branches fell onto the roof upfront . Not enough to dent the roof , but it must have torn the coating . He said he thought about scrapping it for years , had offers to buy the appliances inside for the price he would let it go for , but it was still a good camper and he couldn't stand it to go to the scrapyard . Told him my wife and 2 boys were looking for a project rv and asked him the lowest he would take for it . During our 15 minute conversation , we went from $1000 to $800 and ended up at $700 . I can't wait to go see it . We drove and hour and 45 minutes monday to go look at another rv on craigslist . I was so disappointed then I got there I didn't even bother to talk with the owner . The pictures he sent me had to be a decade old . Broken windows , briken roof vent , water and leaves inside and a damaged body . This one looks like it might be the one . Wallaby Dan , I have enjoyed reading through your posts and projects . Hope to see the completed trailer and ramps soon .
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #5

A bit of advise.Don't take roof repairs too lightly.Mine was a broken roof vent over the shower in the rear and inside it traveled on the ceiling to the back of the roof AC.All the frig,stove,etc-are as old as the rest of the RV.Open the frig and see if it smells bad.Ammonia smells are a bad sign.Plug in the line power and try the roof AC.When you walk on the floor-look for any soft spots.Walk in with the posiblilty that all the frig,stove/oven,etc is going to be replaced.Ask him to run all the propane stuff.The whole point of this is to know what your buying before you get it.Your buying another house but on wheels and all the things that come with it.

One last thing.Dan spent I think it was $15,000 on his repair to get to where he is now.In my roof repair with me doing most of it myself,well it won't be small money.But I really like my mh as Dan does his.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice . I planned on doing most of your suggestions , but its nice to know what to look for from someone who as owened an rv before . The two things he stated that did not work was the roof ac and the oven . I can handle most any amount of repair , but I have decided that a good powertrain and good body is a must . Even if the interior is decent , we might use it this season , but the plan is to remodel the interior after camping season this year . Gutting the inside and redoing everything like new . If the roof is bad , that will be a project soon .
Old 04-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
forcedfab, I am looking forward to finishing the trailer too!! The Bad news is the price of fuel and Propane and food has gone up soo high that i wander if when we are done we will be able to go anywhere??? I can tow that trailer behind the Isuzu and take junk cars to to the recyclers and that would help with the repairs needed on Dusty. Things are really getting bad around here. It went down to 3.07 and the other day I found one that was 3.09, the rest were in the 3.19+ A few were in the 3.99 and I was in shock!!! Its bad when You can't fill the cars tank with $40.00!!! Took over $60.00 to feel the beast!! Sorry but I am on the way to staying put or finding another place that is farther out in the sticks somewhere?? I will finish the coach and just take it out to fill the propane tank and park it again!! This sucks!!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 PM   #8

Take a close look at all the rubber hoses for the brakes,1/2 rusted driveshafts are RV that haven't been use in a long time,look at the tires sidewalls for cracks,see if the e-brake works,smell the gas filler for bad gas,look at the hoses for power the steering,look at the hoses for the rad,look at the belts,look at all the lines under it for rust.If you get there near dusk,rearrange another time with him to inspect it in the daylight.Check the tires front tires for uneven wear.That could mean steering parts that maybe hard to get.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wallaby Dan:
forcedfab, I am looking forward to finishing the trailer too!! The Bad news is the price of fuel and Propane and food has gone up soo high that i wander if when we are done we will be able to go anywhere??? I can tow that trailer behind the Isuzu and take junk cars to to the recyclers and that would help with the repairs needed on Dusty. Things are really getting bad around here. It went down to 3.07 and the other day I found one that was 3.09, the rest were in the 3.19+ A few were in the 3.99 and I was in shock!!! Its bad when You can't fill the cars tank with $40.00!!! Took over $60.00 to feel the beast!! Sorry but I am on the way to staying put or finding another place that is farther out in the sticks somewhere?? I will finish the coach and just take it out to fill the propane tank and park it again!! This sucks!!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dan,
Here is wonderful Rochester NY(ya right!!)diesel has gotten to over $4.00 bucks a gal and gas is from $3.35 to just over $3.55.Propane last summer was around $3.35/gal.LOL-10yr 20' rule-yeah not much to worry there.People who own them can't go anywhere anyways.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #10

I hear you Wallaby Dan . I've got a 3/4" ton dodge ram lifted with 37"'s and I haven't driven it much this last year . I have driving around in my suzuki sidekick and all of its 87hp at the crank fury lol . I remember when you used to be able to judge when to buy gas . Gas prices went up on Firdays and right before holidays . Now it feels like I'm in the stock market . Should I fill up today or just put enough in to get where I am going and hope for lower prices tomorrow .

Thanks fleamarketer for more good tips . I wouldn't have thought of all of that . The only things he mentioned as far as the engine needing work is he did say the power steering like broke , he looped the connections and never got a replacement hose .I am sure the gas in it is bad . He said he has started it 1 a month , but the last time he drove realy anywhere in it was a year ago . He said the negative battery terminal cable needed replaced , but said he would have that done before I came to check it out . I will have enough time to throughly inspect it tomorrow before it starts to get dark . Its only 15 minutes away , figured I would test drive it and then if I like it have AAA tow it 15 minutes back to mu house for free . That way I can go through everything , get rid of the old gas , flush the tranny and change the oil and flush the cooling system .
Old 04-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #11

Update .... Just got this info from the owner

The motor home was made by a company called "Kayot". From what I understand, it was a yaht company that ventured into motor homes back in the day. I don't know that for sure. It's unique in many aspects. I really don't have much more info about it.

Time to GOOGLE

Here is a pic of a 1973 Kayot I found with the dodge 413 in it

Old 04-02-2008, 05:13 AM   #12

No one has mentioned tire age yet. Even if you see lots of tread on the tires they are probably way beyond five years old. (as mentioned in another post... look to see if front tires are unevenly worn). Sitting parked is actually worse on tires,than tires being used. It will be a given that all tires, including the spare will have to be replaced with new ones. Five years is the maximum age for any tire. Good luck. Inspect closely for water damage and dry rot in the structure. A rig that old might have split rim wheels which , if they are there, need replaced as well for safety reasons.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:48 AM   #13

Thanks for all of the tips . I figured the tires would need replaced .
Old 04-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #14

Take note of the tire size and check with your local supplier to see if you can still get that size tire anymore.With Baby it uses 16.5's.GRRRRRRRR.I could have gone to 16's when I bought my tires,but I didn't want to have to change rims at that time.I know that is something I will face sometime in the future.5 tires and possible rims,a easy $800 to $1,000.Make sure you buy tires that have the load needed for the mh and maybe some towing.I have seen tires come apart and it's not a pretty picture.

Gar