Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

1972 Dodge Champion

Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper.jpg
Views:	3372
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	67209

Looking for anything for this rv. Plus trying to get some insight to do a drum to disc break swap. any older dodge truck compatible fore easy axle swap
wildbill2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Can't help with parts but would be a shame to swap the big drums for discs that dodge had on these.... bullet proof drums
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

really ! these drums are a pain
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

so it would be better to keep the drum breaks
Old 07-10-2014, 05:26 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill2323 View Post
so it would be better to keep the drum breaks

Probably, yes.

Just get them setup properly and you shouldn't have any troubles at all with them.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:27 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Oh and cool looking old MH! Also, welcome to iRV2!
Old 07-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #7

1972 dodge champion

Hey wildbill. I have '73 Titan. Great to see another Champion.

Send me your email... I'd send you some very detailed manuals.
73DodgeTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:29 AM   #8

Hey thanks.
My email is donegraphix@hotmail.com
Old 07-11-2014, 07:55 AM   #9

sent - enjoy
73DodgeTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Anyone who would argue not to convert to disk brakes has not ever done a conversion. The basic problem with drum brakes is that they use the rotation of the drum to increase the pressure against the drum. This results in a delayed response from the time you hit the peddle, till the time the brake is actually applied. In a panic stop, that can easily be the difference between a somewhat hard stop and shear panic. The second problem with this design is as the brake heats up and begins to fade, this compounded by the fact that the drum rotation is what is really putting force on the brakes. This means the fade is much more pronounced.

I did a conversion on my coach. In my case, because I have front wheel drive, the rear axles are Dexter trailer axles. (rated at over twice the capacity that they were being used at) The conversion was a drop in replacement, so that aspect was easy. The only thing extra I had to do was remove the proportioning valve to make it work.

One thing to keep in mind, drum brakes require a check valve that maintains a few lbs of pressure in the line at all times, so the brakes stay close to the drums. This must be removed, otherwise the disk brakes will drag and overheat. Sometimes this check valve is inline where it comes out of the master cylinder, or it may be within the proportioning valve.

The conversion resulted in a night and day difference in safety. Living near Chicago, I end up driving through highly congested areas. Panic stops were very common. Now what used to be a panic stop is just a normal stop. You don't feel the coach struggle to slow down. It just brakes like a car.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
bap

very nice i have been looking at a 77 champion,,,,fell in love with the boxy look..
we have a couple vintage campers and thought it would be a nice piece to our collection..,,,
i also wondered about the drum brakes..but we dont live in a highly populated area and our most used camp ground---carter caves,in ky is only 15miles away..lol
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #12

I love this camper. Its the same age as me . and it has the old feel style that I like. But my breaks suck
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 PM   #13

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill2323 View Post
I love this camper. Its the same age as me . and it has the old feel style that I like. But my breaks suck
You should get them checked out and repaired if they aren't stopping your rig.
There is no reason to change over to disks if they are working correctly other than you have too much money.
Drum brakes stop 10's of thousands of pounds everyday, just look under any tractor trailer and you will see basically the same system in use as yours.

You probably have some issues with your brakes that need addressed. When they are working correctly, you should be able to lock up and slide at least some of the wheels.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
Drum brakes stop 10's of thousands of pounds everyday, just look under any tractor trailer and you will see basically the same system in use as yours.
The reason for that is 2 fold. Backward compatibility being the first. No one is going to obsolete every trailer out there. Secondly, Air brakes means the brakes are operated mechanically, rather than hydraulically. Non-hydraulic actuated disk brake have never worked very well. Its very complicated, which is not what you want in your braking system. Drum brake actuation is not linear. Disk brakes are very linear. While there are many systems that combine the 2, none work very well, particularly on slippery surfaces.

Quote:
You probably have some issues with your brakes that need addressed. When they are working correctly, you should be able to lock up and slide at least some of the wheels.
Hmm, interesting criteria for "good" working brakes. I would think [b]all[b] the wheels should be able to lock up. Each tire should be approaching lock up at the same time.

Tags
dodge