Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #1

1973 Nomad project

Can someone please tell me if this looks right?
It is a concern to me. I think the past owner did something to raise the trailer.
It is something I think I need to address along with new tires so I can get it home for restoration/remodel.....
Attached Images

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2014, 09:25 PM   #2

No, doesnt look right....the pivot piece should be more level when the tires are sitting on the ground. Is the trailer sitting level?

Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
No, doesnt look right....the pivot piece should be more level when the tires are sitting on the ground. Is the trailer sitting level?
Near as I could tell at the time. Bought the trailer 2 hours away (from my home) and was lucky enough to have a daughter living nearby to tow it to and store until I can get tires (as the budget allows) on it and research the suspension issues.....I also have to figure out why towing lights don't work. Was told they did 3 years ago, but I'm wondering if that is true. Winter is coming soon, so time is running out.

Needless to say there are things to handle before I attempt to tow it home.

I am already feeling a bit overwelmed, but look forward to it all at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140825_190913.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	72464   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140825_190926.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	72465  

Name:	20140825_190955.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	72466  
Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 AM   #4

Feeling rather stupid about now

Did I mention we are NEW to this whole RV'in thing?....lol

Now that I have had the time to do some research, I can see this post should never been done.....lol

I cant believe someone would make those changes intentionally, would have been just as much work to flip the axles and lift it correctly. Alot of stress on those shackles and equalizers.....lesson learned, time to move forward.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	qu37937_800.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	72480  
Attached Images

Hurricane, Utah
nomadutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:57 AM   #5

Here's mine level....

Here's mine tongue high. Tongue to the right. Doesn't take much to make it look odd.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #6
bap

im going to go look at a 82 nomad in a day or so ,,,,if the guy calls me back,,,found on cl., so if i see this correctly it shoud be a soa- not a sua,,,---spring over axle--spring over axle....i thought at first it just had an inverted shackle...happpens sometimes on these old jeeps i love so much...
looks like ya got a fun resto ahead of you....not bad how far u goin with the ole girl..
Old 09-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
im going to go look at a 82 nomad in a day or so ,,,,if the guy calls me back,,,found on cl., so if i see this correctly it shoud be a soa- not a sua,,,---spring over axle--spring over axle....i thought at first it just had an inverted shackle...happpens sometimes on these old jeeps i love so much...
looks like ya got a fun resto ahead of you....not bad how far u goin with the ole girl..
It is SOA.....the old owner said he did something to get more ground clearance, so I assumed he put the axles under the springs. That wasn't the case. Only thin I saw out of place was the center shackles facing the wrong way...
With the trailer 2 hours away, I'm wondering if it should be towed in that condition? Planning on installing Dexter ez flex, but would rather do it from home and not up north where tools and things are far a few between.

As far as how far we plan to go.....started out to be, "just the minimum", but now we are thinking of replumbing, and giving it a whole new floor plan. In the end I think it will be a mixture of those 2 thoughts, cause the bathroom will remain in the back....lol
Attached Images

Hurricane, Utah
Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM   #8

OK, to me it looks like the old owner spun the axles? Is the spring seat in the wrong position? God I hate to let my mind wonder on how that happened or why...almost seems like the trailer was not only neglected but mistreated......oh crap I'm begining to sound like a....like......I am so frustrated.

Hurricane, Utah
Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
bap

wonder if boomarang shackles would work on those....hmm

went and checked out the 82, rooof needs attention, soft all along the right side as u walk in ,not to bad untill u get to the vent pipe, someone had taken the shower out but the toilet was still there,---it neeeds new roof sealant and the covers over ac and such..and could sure use a good scrubbing and new caulking around the top..
looks like alot of work needs put into it to make it livable....he is asking 1,200...
which i think is to much what would u think would be a fair offer ...i know i dont have pics.,,,but its an 82 and loooks like an 82.....that has set outside all its life....lol
Old 09-02-2014, 10:16 AM   #10

This is normal when a trailer owner is needing more height to reach the towing hitch or requiring more ground clearance. It gains around 2 extra inches.

My Sis/BIL did this to their 5th wheel to help get the trailer's rearend up higher to sit more level when hitched and to also clear the bed's tailgate when hitting any bumps or on any angles. It is towed by a 2014 Chevy Silverado. They had to raise trailer up around 4 or 5 inches by welding in new spring blocks. It won't hurt anything. Just needed to make sure that there was plenty of play in wires for electric brakes when suspension was working.

Also remember that todays vehicles that are used for towing, especially trucks, are sitting up higher due to larger diameter tires/wheels and stiffer suspensions that have better towing capabilities than older 60's to 90's tow vehicles. It's easier/cheaper and more efficient to changing the simple straight axle of a trailer's suspension than trying to change a tow vehicle's suspension.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap View Post
wonder if boomarang shackles would work on those....hmm

went and checked out the 82, rooof needs attention, soft all along the right side as u walk in ,not to bad untill u get to the vent pipe, someone had taken the shower out but the toilet was still there,---it neeeds new roof sealant and the covers over ac and such..and could sure use a good scrubbing and new caulking around the top..
looks like alot of work needs put into it to make it livable....he is asking 1,200...
which i think is to much what would u think would be a fair offer ...i know i dont have pics.,,,but its an 82 and loooks like an 82.....that has set outside all its life....lol
Mine is a 1973, needs about the same amount of work......in fact when I towed it to my daughters house for temporary storage (about 6 blocks away) we opend the door and noticed a small puddle of water had come from the AC/Vent overhead. I am hoping only half the ceiling need replacing, as will the left wall.....we will see once we get it home and can tear into it. It to needs total roof seal work. We paid $200 and don't feel bad with that price. We dont know if anything works, but hey......Wife says I need a project to keep me busy....lol

Hurricane, Utah
Old 09-02-2014, 05:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoEagle10 View Post
This is normal when a trailer owner is needing more height to reach the towing hitch or requiring more ground clearance. It gains around 2 extra inches.

My Sis/BIL did this to their 5th wheel to help get the trailer's rearend up higher to sit more level when hitched and to also clear the bed's tailgate when hitting any bumps or on any angles. It is towed by a 2014 Chevy Silverado. They had to raise trailer up around 4 or 5 inches by welding in new spring blocks. It won't hurt anything. Just needed to make sure that there was plenty of play in wires for electric brakes when suspension was working.

Also remember that todays vehicles that are used for towing, especially trucks, are sitting up higher due to larger diameter tires/wheels and stiffer suspensions that have better towing capabilities than older 60's to 90's tow vehicles. It's easier/cheaper and more efficient to changing the simple straight axle of a trailer's suspension than trying to change a tow vehicle's suspension.
Thanks for the input....at least I wont worry so much when I bring it home. I think I will return them to thier correct position and see just where it sits when I'm done. If its to low I will put the axles under the springs if needed.

Hurricane, Utah