Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #1

1973 Winne Brave Questions

Hey guys. I'm new to RVing & have a couple of questions. I'm currently looking for a RV. I know I want a vintage Winnebago and I have found a '73 Brave for a $1000 it runs & drives good and looks to be in pretty good shape from what I can see from the pictures and will be viewing in person. It has a 318 engine, 4k onan generator, new self contained toilet. Are there common issues that I should watch out for? It is missing the lower half of the front grille....are these hard to find? Is it under powered with a 318 engine. I've heard they are. I really like the body style of the Brave its just plain cool. Should I be looking for a different model. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dustin
texasrattrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The MH you are looking at has big following. There are lots of parts out there, just have to look. The 318 will be just OK, the 440 is the one you may want to look for pf you desire power. If the body, chassis, and interior are super sweet, buy it and swap in the larger engine later.
You can also live with the 318 until you trade up and get the set up that you really want. Check out this site to see a lot of old Winnies.

Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs!

Take a check list like this with you so that you don't miss anything.

Buying a used motorhome

Good Luck and have fun, see you down the road.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Thanks for the awesome info Goldwinger. Really helped me make a decision. What is an average price range for a 1973 Winne Brave? I don't want to over pay for one.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Condition drives the price. Shop carefully.
J
Old 02-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Hey those '73's are cool looking........... But as far as the other questions you have there is no one answer. The 318 will work fine unless you plan on heavy loads up big hills, and pictures don't show everything. If you are new at using RV'S you might want the owner to start up everything, the heater, fridge, gen, water heater, etc and see that it works.
A DOT code on the tires will also tell if you need another $1200.00 worth of rubber.
If you have a family take them along to see how it looks full of bodies, and if the wife is happy things will be better.
Look at the roof, ceiling, floor and walls for soft spots inside and out.
Best of luck and ask questions if you have them. Les
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #6

When we bought used...

When we bought used the pictures all looked good. In person things can be quite a bit different.

My top tips are:

1. Bring along someone with a good sense of smell. Have them open all the cabinets to check for water damage/mold/mildew.

2. Test drive it on the highway and some back roads to assess the condition of the suspension and engine.

3. As stated before check the date code (DOT) on the tires to make sure they aren't over 5 years old. If they are factor in new tires to the money you will spend.

4. Also stated before, have the owner demonstrate all the systems. Take notes on what doesn't work and then find out the cost to fix before making a commitment. Bring a camera to help you remember the condition of everything.

5. Bring one of those under vehicle crawlers to check everything underneath, get on the roof and check things out, look in every cabinet and drawer, open and close all the windows. Again take notes on things that don't work. This will give you and idea of what things you may need to do.

6. I like the buying a used motorhome checklist that was included in a previous post. Print that and take it with you.

Go home, add it all up and then see if you have a great deal or a lemon. I'd walk away from anything that can't be test driven or the owner says has been stored/winterized and they can't demonstrate the systems. At that point you just have to assume nothing works.

Best of luck! We love our used motor home.
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I almost forgot to tell you that in '73 they changed over from split rims (17" tires) and drum brakes all around, so you might have an early '73 or a late model. The later ones have disk brakes up front and one piece wheels (17.5") are nicer I think.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by micd View Post
When we bought used the pictures all looked good. In person things can be quite a bit different.

My top tips are:

1. Bring along someone with a good sense of smell. Have them open all the cabinets to check for water damage/mold/mildew.

2. Test drive it on the highway and some back roads to assess the condition of the suspension and engine.

3. As stated before check the date code (DOT) on the tires to make sure they aren't over 5 years old. If they are factor in new tires to the money you will spend.

4. Also stated before, have the owner demonstrate all the systems. Take notes on what doesn't work and then find out the cost to fix before making a commitment. Bring a camera to help you remember the condition of everything.

5. Bring one of those under vehicle crawlers to check everything underneath, get on the roof and check things out, look in every cabinet and drawer, open and close all the windows. Again take notes on things that don't work. This will give you and idea of what things you may need to do.

6. I like the buying a used motorhome checklist that was included in a previous post. Print that and take it with you.

Go home, add it all up and then see if you have a great deal or a lemon. I'd walk away from anything that can't be test driven or the owner says has been stored/winterized and they can't demonstrate the systems. At that point you just have to assume nothing works.

Best of luck! We love our used motor home.
I like your blog site and pictures of your camping adventures - we do much the same, and while enjoying the lack of noise and admiring the views of nature, can't help but pity all the "RVers" who do most of THEIR stays on a Walmart parking lot - wonder what "neat pictures" their photo scrapbook displays...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #9

Well the seller flaked out on me... Back to the drawing board.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Sorry to hear that, but look at it as a learning experience. Every one you look at you will learn something. Les
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #11

Yeah ....but that is the only 1973-74 Brave / Indian I've seen listed in like 2 months. Well hopefully something will appear soon.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:28 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
You may have to travel a little to find another one.
(or a lot)
J