Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Talking 1973 Winnebago

So I started off on the Forums Here:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/my-to...r-98432-1.html
and with that camper came some Major sweat, tears and fiberglass and then the project came to a screeching halt. The Beautiful amazing camper I have has no papers blah blah blah and I might not even be able to keep it. So i decided that instead of keeping the ol' yellowstone I would look into craigslist and check out some search results and found this:

they want 500$ for it the interior is SO much nicer then the yellow stone and it doesn't have rat poison every where and seems to be in decent shape. i'm going to set up a meet and great with some kind of partner most likely my uncle or some larger man...(Craigslist scares me)
So any comments? anything i should note when i'm going through? this project isnt actually just for me its also for my boyfriend as a project engine so the engine will be well taken care of as well
The owner noted the following:
  • shore power stopped working
  • the furnace has been removed
  • and the hot water heater needs to be replaced
  • leak from sliding window at dinette
  • the water system works fine
  • Master cylinder needs to be replaced (new one in the rv)
  • HE HAS THE TITLE
The pictures I have of the interior are depicted to make the camper look nice so im not going to bother to spend time uploading them just know that the pictures Did make me feel like I was 5 Year old at Christmas and that I know better then to go by pictures alone
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2011, 06:06 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
The joys of a classic RV

I'd say go for it. Sounds like fun to me. If it runs and your up for the tasks. Price seems to be fair. Good luck and don't forget lots of pics!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #3

shore power stopped working (Most likely a breaker in the wrong position)
the furnace has been removed (New models will have to be adopted to fit)
and the hot water heater needs to be replaced (Get a DSI model replacement rather than a Pilot model)
leak from sliding window at dinette (Felt on all side and back windows will need to be replaced due to dry rot)
the water system works fine (air pressure [like trailer was] or on-demand pump? Almost impossible to find replacement parts for air based system)
Master cylinder needs to be replaced (new one in the rv) (You have to know exactly what system you have [M300 or M375]. Some brake parts can be difficult to locate.)

Most likely a Dodge based chassis with either a 318 or 413. You will need to get both the MH service manual and the parts manual. Cheapest place to buy them (as a set) in pdf form is Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs!. You will need to join to access the store. The companion Winnebago Eyebrow Repair book is also very useful.

Check for water leaks as rebuilding roof/walls is tedious. Check for soft spots in floor.

Dave
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfaanijray View Post
So I started off on the Forums Here:http://www.irv2.com/forums/f65/my-to...r-98432-1.html
and with that camper came some Major sweat, tears and fiberglass and then the project came to a screeching halt. The Beautiful amazing camper I have has no papers blah blah blah and I might not even be able to keep it. So i decided that instead of keeping the ol' yellowstone I would look into craigslist and check out some search results and found this:

they want 500$ for it the interior is SO much nicer then the yellow stone and it doesn't have rat poison every where and seems to be in decent shape. i'm going to set up a meet and great with some kind of partner most likely my uncle or some larger man...(Craigslist scares me)
So any comments? anything i should note when i'm going through? this project isnt actually just for me its also for my boyfriend as a project engine so the engine will be well taken care of as well
The owner noted the following:
  • shore power stopped working
  • the furnace has been removed
  • and the hot water heater needs to be replaced
  • leak from sliding window at dinette
  • the water system works fine
  • Master cylinder needs to be replaced (new one in the rv)
  • HE HAS THE TITLE
The pictures I have of the interior are depicted to make the camper look nice so im not going to bother to spend time uploading them just know that the pictures Did make me feel like I was 5 Year old at Christmas and that I know better then to go by pictures alone

Since I have little faith in most people on CL. I would say, remember that what ever he tells you.. there is more wrong. Its a TOUGH TOUGH rebuild.. I did the brakes on mine and it was a nightmare.. 800 in parts alone. (thank God I do all the work) everything had to be cut off, vise gripped out and rebuilt, new lines, etc etc. So youre looking at a 2-3000 dollar project (if you do the work) there in my estimate (maybe more). You may be able to find some used parts for cheaper.

how many miles? does he have service records... Looks like it will be a 318 dodge. when I bought mine, I brought my mechanic stethoscope. ( Amazon.com: Lisle 52500 Mechanic's Stethoscope: Automotive ) and listened to the lifters and cylinders. If he says it needs a Master, then I bet it needs a booster, I just went through this same thing.

Not trying to discourage you at all, just saying youre in for a bit of work and good luck!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
ALSO, Alretta truck out of boston is the best place to find brake parts for it. Geoff Rosenberg is his name.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #6

You do want to try to cross ref Dodge P/N's first at NAPA. Alretta seems to be very high priced.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave78Chief View Post
You do want to try to cross ref Dodge P/N's first at NAPA. Alretta seems to be very high priced.

Dave
They are high priced, (even higher on the shipping) but I could not find parts at any of the major chains, i tried NAPA, autozone, advanced auto... You can order them off places like Rock auto or year one restoration. but they charge a core and then its an arm and a leg to ship the cores back....
Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #8

oh this is such a hard decision. along with some other issues I cant decide which project would be better lol. with the trailer at least I know i can move it the winne would be a bigger issue if it broke down but the winne seems much easier to fix excluding the engine and she is such a trophy
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyd111 View Post

how many miles? does he have service records... Looks like it will be a 318
90 k
Old 08-30-2011, 11:11 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
My personal preference would be to go with the Winnie.. make him an offer.. say youll give him 300. On my local CL, there has been an Rv for sale for ever ... This thing ran mint last year, I saw him down the beach with it all the time. he cant get rid of it.. Very similar, needs work.. Im just saying he'll have to take it... hey maybe you can buy this one... 1975 Dodge Superior Camper

If my better half would let me, Id buy this one too... Id have a vintage RV palace.. but she wont

Also to remember, the Motorhome is going to require registration, insurance, gas, oil, maintenance... the trailer will be much cheaper. But the resale will be higher in the winnie
Old 08-30-2011, 12:02 PM   #11

For reference, the Winnebago listing also says it will need tires. That will be around $700-$1000.
Think carefully before you commit to something.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 10:17 PM   #12

oh tires. :( my house is 2 hours from where this guy lives. the real test is getting it home 0_0 he said they would need to be replaced for "LONG" trips I must say though my boyfriends been all for it he has been bugging me all day about it
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
It also needs a radiator. I sent them an email asking about it and got no reply. It looks to nice to be a 500 bucks unit though. Where are you located? Wouldn't mind giving you a hand for a hand in return working on her if you get it. I have the same unit and trying to get a radiator for it. It's been sitting @ the radiator shop for two months now. Guy doesn't really know how to pull it. Said it's a PITA.

NVM on giving you a hand. LOL, just saw you are two hours away. I bought my unit from a couple in Pa. It was 3.5 hours one way. It was a very interesting trip home. I wasn't worried though because we have AAA. If you don't it would be a good idea to get it. They even take care of tow behinds so well worth it. You can try Good Sam and all those other ones but AAA covers personal autos as well.

Oh and it's a 440 unit. Mine is as well. I love that motor...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:20 AM   #14

How to pull radiator out? Not hard.

This picture was from an engine rebuild but gets the point across. No need to remove bumper for radiator replacement. Nor do you need to put it on jack stands for radiator. You will have to recore the radiator using the original top and bottom. New core will have to be ordered. The automated machines that build the cores already have the specs in them. They build them on request so the cost is at least $400 for a new core.

Dave

Tags
winnebago