Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #1

1973 Winnebago Brave needs roof repaired

I was just given a 1973 Winnebago Brave D18 from my father-in-law. Its been sitting for years and has a roof leak that was never fixed. I now have to replace a couple of sections of the roof. Not a clue to the constructin since this is my first camper. But all the plywood I seen is rotted and falling in. Need to get this done before it goes through another winter and the roof caves in, or before I even use this. How do I go about doing this? I'm sure I could handle this with a little help and some good directions.
thanks,
Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
1st stop the roof from leaking, then you will have to tear out all the rotten wood. The insulation is most likely no good also. You just have to dive in to it and see what you got. I have done about four complete interior restores. I am now redoing a 1983 Jammie 22 ft motorhome that had a small fire. Replacing all cushions and mattress with new ones, because of the smoke smell. Had no leaks and all appliances are working, including AC. ALso have to replace some paneling. Will have it for sale soon. Good luck and have fun.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do a search within this forum you'll find a few who have done what you need to do. It is a time consuming project but since you got this as a freebie it'll make it worth it in the long run. Wish i could offer a specific thread for you but if you just do a search for roof replacement or anything along those lines you'll come up with some help and ideas. Good luck. I just did the exterior roof on mine and it involved a minimum of 20 hours and the help of someone who knew exactly what to do.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesfishin View Post
I was just given a 1973 Winnebago Brave D18 from my father-in-law. Its been sitting for years and has a roof leak that was never fixed. I now have to replace a couple of sections of the roof. Not a clue to the constructin since this is my first camper. But all the plywood I seen is rotted and falling in. Need to get this done before it goes through another winter and the roof caves in, or before I even use this. How do I go about doing this? I'm sure I could handle this with a little help and some good directions.
thanks,
Steve
Sounds like he is more than a bit upset with what you been doing with his daughter

post up some pics could be a fun project
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I know a little about roof repairs, more about roof replacements. The big question might be can the roof be saved. Can you walk on it?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #6

Sources say, "if it didn't come with a ladder, it wasn't meant to be walked on" I am doing same repair and wondering whose barn or scaffolding I can use. Also, inside rear storage area (exterior) there is a plaque or sticker telling exactly how much weight the roof can support.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
My TT says "not a walk on roof", use 2ft x 4ft plywood to walk on. sounds like a pain in the ass.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, great pics. You obviously know what you are doing. more than i could handle. it looks GREAT. hope you didnt scare away Steve
Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #9

It will be a pain in the ass....

Suggest you study carefully how the coach was originally built/assembled as you take it apart. Rebuild the same way. I would pretty much plan on replacing the entire roof. If you're careful you may be able to use the aluminum over again?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #10

First a few pics of the process: Picasa Web Albums - Les Brundidge - 1973 Winnebag...

If you join Classic Winnebagos & Vintage RVs! there is a sticky thread in the Coach forum covering the details. There is also manuals in the site store covering the both the coach and the chassis.

Opp's, missed Les's post
Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #11

I have personally seen Les's Indian. It was beautifully done. I loved the access vent he installed in the bathroom.

Kaye

Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, roof, winnebago