Since October, I've been working on putting a 27' 1974 Travco 270 back on the road.
She's powered by a 440, and has 98K showing on the odometer.
It's a travco, so water penetration has been limited to crappy window seals, and the fridge vent.
This is what it looked like when I made the offer of $800, which was $1200 less than she wanted. However, even with a fresh battery we couldn't get it to do anything... not even a dash light. Also notice that it was sunk to the frame in the dirt. It hasn't moved in 15 years.
A really big tow truck hauled it to a mechanic shop 7 miles away, for $195
Once at the shop for a check out it became obvious that my minor hopefully minor problems were anything but minor. The engine wiring harness was completely melted and a mess. The old lady taht sold it to me said it ran a year or two ago but failed to mention that it CAUGHT FIRE!!! I spent many hours on the phone trying to find a wiring harness... remember this thing is forty years old... parts aren't just on shelves. AZ RV Salvage in Phoenix had one they would send. Got it, had the shop install it,a nd then found out they chopped it off at the dog house.... called them back and had another one sent up. With shipping this cost me another couple hundred bucks.
The cause of the fire was a shoddy repair job and miswiring of the alternator, so a new 65amp alternator was also installed, as was a new cap and rotor.
Now that it'd move on its own power, the brakes had to be inspected... rear brakes were completely seized and out of adjustment. New lines were installed, brake adjusters removed, cleaned, unfrozen, and re-installed. and everything just sorta knocked apart and inspected. Stopping is important!
In March, a full five months after the purchase, I finally got to take it on its first drive. Went about 15 or 20 miles, made a huge list of additional mechanical work, and knew it was time to start figuring out what I was doing on the inside.
This is what I was starting with
We removed mountains of crap
I yanked out a dinette / tiny bed that would work for a single but was no way going to work as my only double bed ( to be replaced with a futon) and determined that the wall immediately behind the driver was completely thrashed from water leaking in the window. I replaced the wall.
Then it was time to start painting. Everything. The walls, the ceilings, the doors, the window trim. It's all getting a coat of high build primer, and a coat of high gloss enamel. So far all I've done is lay down the primer. Lots of taping... so much taping... for every 5 minutes of spraying primer I was taping for 2 hours.
Then I had to go out of town for a few weeks so I decided to get it to the mechanic for a tune up. A different mechanic that's more into old stuff, and $20 an hour cheaper.
I got back, the mechanic forgot he had it (mod edited term!), he's working on it again, dropping the gas tank, douching out the rust, tuning the carb, and checking out the loose steering.
Meanwhile I found some fabric I liked...
Made the 100 mile trip to gather the rear beds for recovery, bought all that the local fabric store had (about 7 yards) and ordered another 6 yards from the internet. The only thing I've ever recovered in my life is some dining room chairs. This wasn't a whole lot different, just a lot bigger. And the stripes sort of made me mental making sure they were straight. I got three out of the four bunk bed pieces redone. The fourth had significant water damage and idiotic repair work that caused enough damage it will have to be rebuilt.
Took the old fabric off
Used it for a template
Got the big side of one of the bunk beds done
Completed an entire bunk bed
Hmmm this doesn't look good
(Mod Edit)... really?
Finished the big side of the 2nd bunk bed
The back of things
Which brings me now to present day, The mechanic is still working on it for a tune up. I need to rebuild the rotted portion of the bunk bed, and we have to sew new covers for the mattress pads.
I still have a lot of painting to do, primer touch ups, and the glossy enamel, and lots of trim pieces to hit with a rattle can.
Then I will rip out the carpet... which will undoubtedly lead to ripping out significant sections of flooring. Which will then get repaired, and recovered with probably pergo but that's yet to be determined.
I have to get new steer tires, I may or may not get new drive tires.
I still don't know if the generator, the furnace, plumbing, or fridge work.
Oh and I have to find a futon that will fit in the space where the dinette used to be. With regards to eating... we'll setup a skinny folding table at the rear of the coach between the two folding bunkbed / couches ... where our family of six can all eat dinner together.