Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

Question 1974 Winnebago

This may be a silly question but I can't seem to find the fuse panel in my 74 winnebago, does anyone know where it's located?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mines not a winne, but its a similar year, but if there is a hatch in the rear of the rig, its probably in there (exterior)

Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Found that one, was more looking for a fuse panel associated with starting the thing. I have replaced posts and connections, power tested the starter, RV battery is working fine and stuff is on inside, but i have no power to my dash and won't start. it did turn over once after I had replaced some connections then wouldn't go again?????
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehunter View Post
Found that one, was more looking for a fuse panel associated with starting the thing. I have replaced posts and connections, power tested the starter, RV battery is working fine and stuff is on inside, but i have no power to my dash and won't start. it did turn over once after I had replaced some connections then wouldn't go again?????

Check all grounds, It doesn't take much corrosion to cause problems. Frame to engine, Battery to frame etc.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #5

Have you actually measured the battery voltage or tried another battery? I agree that that you should be checking all of the cable connections, especially the ground bond to the frame. On mine (a 75) There is a voltmeter on the dash and switches to combine and separate the batteries (house and coach) as well as a switch to read out the voltages. Connecting and separating the batteries means relays - I'm pretty sure they are under the battery hatch, and where the positive battery cables connect.

The biggest problem you face is that in 30 plus years, things can fail and be jury rigged in many ways before the rig ever made it into your hand. There's no replacement for technical skill when it comes to troubleshooting a system like this... mostly because someone unskilled may well have done something to 'fix' it that has added to the problem or the confusion.

Best of luck,

-Bill
Old 08-03-2011, 08:37 PM   #6

The Dodge Chassis fuse panel is mounted to the outboard side of the steering column support under the dash. It is not easy to get to.
1) Check the fusible link located at the starter relay (inboard side of frame rail by starter)
2) Check the connector at the bottom of the steering column (cable from ignition switch on column). It is a known weak link (connector pin corrosion).

What connections did you replace?

Dave
Old 08-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #7

Traced every line, cleaned and replaced some contacts and power tested
everything. I think its the solenoid, brought it into a guy who tested it, very weak if anything, bought a new one for 20 bucks will put it on tonight after work and see what we got. Thanks everyone for the great tips!!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehunter View Post
Traced every line, cleaned and replaced some contacts and power tested
everything. I think its the solenoid, brought it into a guy who tested it, very weak if anything, bought a new one for 20 bucks will put it on tonight after work and see what we got. Thanks everyone for the great tips!!
Did it work? I like the looks of your older Winnie. I bought this at a garage sale yesterday. (Sleeping bag)

goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:18 AM   #9

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

replaced the solenoid and nothing, I was able to arc the fusible relay and had the starter engaging, as well as at the starter, what baffles me is there is lots of power at the battery, I have volt tested everything along the way but there is power. Where I don't have power is to the dash or ignition. I do have a battery volt meter on the dash, the house and coach battery does register. I will check at the bottom of the steering column and let you know if anything happens. Thanks for all the tips, frustrating process, but love learning!!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM   #11

It was not uncommon for coach Mfg's like Winnebago to build the current years rig (ie 74) on the previous years chassis (ie 73). Not knowing whether you have a 73 or 74 Dodge chassis, here are links to the Dodge chassis wiring diagrams for both years.

73 - 73 Wiring Diagram.pdf

74-75 - 74-75 Wiring Diagram.pdf

For 74, Dodge made a lot of changes so make sure you use the correct wiring diagram. If you have the new style dash (molded plastic with 3 instrument cluster rings), then you want the 74 drawing. If you have the older style dash (flat dash with a rectangular instrument cluster) the use the 73 version.
Power for the ignition switch (Page 2) comes up circuit A20B-12BK for 73. It is A20C-12BK for 74. For both years, that is circuit provided via a fusible link (short section of wire that normally has a rubber flag) connected to the starter relay.
You can check to see if power is getting past the fusible link at the fuse box. The "RUN LPS", "BAT ACC", "INT LPS", and "RUN LPS" fuses should always have 12VDC power to them. If not then either the fusible link is bad or there is an open wire back down the A20 circuit path.
In the 74/75 drwaing you can see the change Dodge made in 75 to the B+ wiring to the ignition switch at the connector on the steering column. The pins in the connector were not large enough to handle the current and were failing. 74 is shown with dotted lines.

Dave
Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
my 1974 is probably on a 73 chassis but has a 72 engine
Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #13

Awesome thanks for all the info Dave, should keep me busy over the weekend, it seems as though all arrows are pointing in that area, I'll let you know how it goes.
Jeff

Just checking around the steering column and there has been some re-wiring, will have to troubleshoot from there
Old 08-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #14

WOOHOO

Took alot of persistence but I found the problem, actually what I would consider multiple problems, But our baby is running and sounding great!! . After finding many wiring fixes, I re did every contact. Worst thing is I have the steering column apart, now I have to put it all back together...lol, but at least I was able to rule out a bunch of stuff too. I have to admit I am very relieved to get it going and a big thanks to everyone for your suggestions it really helped me along my way! Now onto the next project with our 74 Indian

Tags
winnebago