Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
I might be able to help with the gas tank. Chrysler (Dodge) used a small metal spade clip that grounded the tank to the fuel line just after the short rubber fuel hose were it comes out of the tank. In other words the metal fuel line had a short 2" rubber hose near the tank that this clip went around to ground the tank. All you really need to do is run a new ground wire from the tank to the chassis.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 06:01 PM   #16

Sounds good for the ground. Now what color wire was used from the gauge to sending unit for the power? That wire is the one I cannot find.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Power comes from the dash-goes to a 12 volt to 5 volt regulator (very small) then to the gauge then out a blue wire to the tank. Ground the wire for a full tank and leave wire open for a empty tank to test.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:05 PM   #18

Awesome! Thanks I found a blue wire under my "new" carpet this past weekend. Going to start the vehicle up and see if I get the pulsating 5V then I'll ground it out to see if the gauge works before I hook it up to the tank. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #19

1975 tioga

So today I went to start the rv and no go. Battery dead! Well not all the way. Does the DC inverter charge the chassis battery and coach or just the coach? It was putting iut 14.5 volts at the inverter and at the Battery it was the same. Also, any Ideas of how the fuel sending unit wire is normally wired? I cannot find the dang thing does it go under the coach or through the coach interior?
Old 05-07-2014, 12:19 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Can you post a picture of your dash to make sure it is a Mopar dash and not after market?
The sending unit wire should come out the firewall bulkhead connecter or it might run down one side of the cab under a sill plate. At which point it may come out were the back of the cab is/was and then run in a side rail in the frame. Can't you find a wire at the tank?
Old 05-07-2014, 05:12 PM   #21

It is a Dodge. I checked the wire that was powering the temp sensor and it was giving me a voltage that kept jumping up and down on the multimeter which is what you said in an earlier post. The only blue wire I found ran down the inside of the motor home under the cabinets and sink and then goes down and out towards the tank. I tried to do the same power test and couldn't get any power to it like the temp sensor switch. Please help?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #22

If a 75 chassis is done the same as a 79, which Dodge typically did in that era, then the 18 gauge light blue wire from the tank goes to the left side frame rail. It plugs into a 18 gauge light blue with black stripe wire that is part of the rear light (turn/stop/tail/backup light) bundle. That wire set goes into the cab somewhere near the base of the steering wheel. While the front lights do go through the main bulkhead connector, the rear light wire bundle does not go through the main bulkhead connector.

For 75, Dodge does use a 5VDC bi-metal voltage regulator mounted on the rear of the instrument panel that feeds one post on the fuel gauge (Vintage Chrysler electrical repairs and updates (part 2)). The other post goes to the fuel tank and acts as a path to ground (10 to 70 ohm sending unit).

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #23

Thank you. I will be going home and tracking down this wire bundle. I saw the actual light wiring under the sink running under the bathroom tub and shower out to the rear. So, now to follow it up to the dash. Thanks soo much.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #24

1975 Tioga

Eureka! I found the infamous blue wire. I tested it for the 5Volts of power and I didn't exactly get 5V but I got power in the wire and it kept turning on and off as expected. hooked it up and now waiting to go fill up the tank and see if the gauge moves. Lastly while doing all this I noticed that my right tail light was not blinking. I thought I might have gounded out a wire and blew a fuse but no luck. I notice while tracking the wiring down that the previous owner had tap a wire into the yellow with black striped wire and ran it to the back and used it as a grounding wire for the left tail light. Now the left tail light works but not the right. I have checked the wired that are coming from the right tail light and there are more than the right and I swear I am getting power to two of them but when I hook them up nothing, the light doesn't blink, stay on, just nothing. Swapped bulbs and everything. Bulbs are good. Any Ideas?
The pictures are of the tail light wiring. the one with three wires is the left tail light and the one wire that is by itselft is the one that comes from under the cab that was tapped into the yellow wire with black stripe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140508_125203.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	62393   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140508_125045.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	62394  

Old 05-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #25

Brown wire - Tail Lights
Dark Green wire - Right Side Stop/Turn
Yellow/Black Stripe wire - Left Side Stop/Turn
Black wire - Backup Lights

Make sure the bulb socket has a good ground connection back to the frame.

Only one fuse for turn signals so if any turn signal works you do not have a fuse problem.

For tail lights - Only one wire from Headlight switch to rear of chassis where it is branched out to individual bulbs. So, if any work then feed is ok and can only be local wiring

For Turn at a single corner. If brake works then wiring to bulb is ok and problem is in turn signal switch. If neither turn/stop work at a corner, then problem is either bulb, socket, ground, wire between turn signal switch and socket, or turn signal switch.

Dave
Old 05-08-2014, 11:53 PM   #26

1975 tioga

Thanks Dave. I think I got the coloring right for the lights now. Only thing I was wondering about was why so many wires on the right side and only two on the left. I need to look into the rv wall to figure this out I think. Not enough slack to get more wire out and see what colors they are. Any suggestions? How to do the least amount of tearing into the rv walls. Because you know once in there anything found has to be repaired. At least that's how my head works.lol
Old 05-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #27

This is a 79 Van Chassis. I have no clue to what extent the RV Mfg modified it in any way. Hopefully you can use it to work though this.

As far as determing which wire is which, you will have to use a multimeter and/or test light to track it down.

Dave
Old 05-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #28

Again, thanks to Dave for your help. I have the multimeter out and a test light. I will get this sorted out, otherwise the wife will get a little upset and ask to get rid off the rv soon and we don't want that.Thanks again. Everyone here is a great help.Thanks for being such great guys.