Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #1

I am very new to this or any type of RVing it is really decent shape. Can any one tell me about this type it has a 440 in it whith about 72000. The only thing that I know of is the air pump for the water tank is a jimmy rigged one with a normal walmart small air compresser. (the small one) Any info would help.
Thanks Mike
Makattak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #2

I am very new to this or any type of RVing it is really decent shape. Can any one tell me about this type it has a 440 in it whith about 72000. The only thing that I know of is the air pump for the water tank is a jimmy rigged one with a normal walmart small air compresser. (the small one) Any info would help.
Thanks Mike
Old 07-06-2006, 02:18 AM   #3

Mike, I had a '77... It had a regular 12vdc water pump, not air pressure charging. I'd highly recommend a regular fresh water pump.
As for my two cents about your possible purchase: -it all depends on whether the coach has been used several times in the past couple years, or if it's been sitting. If it's been sitting, you could be in for a costly fix/replace ride. Things like brakes, cooling system, furnace, etcetera tend to go bad if not used ("use it or lose it").
Also, the 440 was a strong engine, but had tendencies to crack the cast exhaust manifolds. Finding the right replacement could be a real problem (they don't make 'em anymore, and for my '77 there were four different configurations for the exhaust manifolds, but only one would fit the coach because of the brake m/c and starter locations). Some people went with headers, but they put an awful lot of heat into the engine compartment, so then you need expensive high temp plug wires & shields.
Overall, if the coach has been used recently and runs well, it'll probably perform well for you too.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #4

It has been used within the last year. You can see it at www.stcroixmotor.com look uner inventory and then MotorHomes and it is the only winnie there.
Mike