Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2018, 10:34 AM   #1

1976 Chevy cutaway. Vanguard

Hello all, I recently bought a 1976 vanguard Chevy. 26 footer. Trying to pick it up yesterday the motor home would not go in gear.
We boosted if got it running added transmission fluid as well as a Lucas oil for transmissions. Topped it up with gas. The motor home was in high idle to start. We placed it in reverse the high idle dropped and gear engaged. We placed it in drive and the high idle returned like it was stuck in nuetral. We managed to get it in drive once for about 5 minutos to remove the blocks. It later slipped and would not return in drive or any gear. It may be helpful to add the the r.v is stored on quite a downhill. It was last driven in September 2017. Sat through a snowy winter. Any ideas??? Thank you.
Paul.vv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems .

Your 76 Chevy engine will have a carb, with choke and fast idle mechanism , that should have come off allowing normal idle speed after 3/5 mins of engine run time. You may have to look into that if the high idle continues to be a problem.
There are mechanical linkages between the steering column and the transmission .
Have you been under the unit to check there is nothing disconnected ?
What color was the trans fluid before you started adding ? RED? Brown ? Black ?
Was the fluid low ? Is the RV parked nose down?
Some where I have a diagram that helps determine the trans type on Chevy vehicles, by the shape of the trans pan . I'll try and track it down and re-post.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Welcome to iRV2.

Sorry you're here with problems .

Your 76 Chevy engine will have a carb, with choke and fast idle mechanism , that should have come off allowing normal idle speed after 3/5 mins of engine run time. You may have to look into that if the high idle continues to be a problem.
There are mechanical linkages between the steering column and the transmission .
Have you been under the unit to check there is nothing disconnected ?
What color was the trans fluid before you started adding ? RED? Brown ? Black ?
Was the fluid low ? Is the RV parked nose down?
Some where I have a diagram that helps determine the trans type on Chevy vehicles, by the shape of the trans pan . I'll try and track it down and re-post.
Hello thank you for your reply. I did go under the r.v to see to what I could see but honestly it was pretty muddy and could not see much and wasn't sure what I was looking for. The trans fluid was a dark red and it was very low. We added 3 litres. The r.v is parked nose uphill making it hard to tell any fluid levels accurately. And the high did not go down after 20 mins of running. I feel a adjustment to the carb may fix this??.. thank you so much
Old 06-02-2018, 11:55 AM   #4

Nose up may be the problem , the torque converter may have drained back into the trans pan , and sitting the way it is the air pocket, in the converter, may not clear till the RV is on the level.
Any easy way to get the RV to a level spot?
You'll have to get info on how the automatic , choke/fast idle , is heated to bring the choke off and idle down , the problem may be an exhaust heat riser stuck open , or a cross over port in the intake manifold plugged.

Check the trans dipstick for instructions on when to check fluid level , some trans are ; check " at idle in park " others " at idle in neutral " , to clear a torque converter air pocket , you need to be at idle with the trans in the position specified on the dipstick.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I will get it towed to level ground and home and keep you posted. !! Thanks again
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
On my Chevy P30 motorhome I have a 454 with the Rochester Quadrajet and you have to tap the accelerator to get it to drop out of high idle. I did some research and this seems to be normal function for the quadrajets so you may try that!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm almost 100% certain unless modified you have a similar Quadrajet
Old 06-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #8

Update. So I towed the r.v to level ground. Replaced the transmission fluid and still won't go into gear. Any idea how to check the linkages?
Old 06-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #9

Takes two people....one moving the gear shift and the other underneath on the drivers side watching the linkage arm on the transmission......should be a Turbo 400 type trans.....maybe with a trans problem is why it was parked..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 PM   #10

Check the vacuum hoses on the side of tranny for cracks an plugged hoses, it helps shift into gears if it's like a turbo tranny. I have the p30 454 and it always needs a small tap on the peddle after 6mins. But i know Mine is bad hoses for my carb.to lower the idle.
titan85rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

I had a 76 GMC van back in the day. I had the transmission filter fall of from it's mounting and would not shift.

Tags
chevy