Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #1
1976 Mitchell RV Question(s)

Okay, so i just purchased a 1976 Mitchell Chevy c30 van (chevy 350 4 barrel) rv for 1,200$ runs, drives 88k original miles (odometer has never spun over)..first question obviously would be did i get taken or a decent deal? Interior is beautiful all cabinets have doors, upholstery has not so much as a tear, carpet is even still nice.....Mechanically runs drives but have issues getting it started (carb problem?) starter fluid into carb and after it turns over its fine just seems to be getting started thats the issue dirty carb? rebuild kit for it i was thinking but would love to get everyone's opinions this is my first RV (had a pull camper before though) as well my first post here if i can figure out how share pictures ill add a couple

Thanks, Contra (Edited for details and pictures)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00I0I_hiUlsUnan8O_600x450.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	75975   Click image for larger version

Name:	00T0T_4vP5d4FlPva_600x450.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	75976  

Name:	00M0M_efU6WZOThA2_600x450.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	75977  

Contradixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to this forum, lots of good information to be had.

As long as there is no problems with leaking at the windows or from the roof you got a great deal. Many of the vintage MHs of the 70s go for a lot higher and they usually need lots of work.

As for not starting, the entire fuel system is suspect. If your MH has sat for quite a long time there is varnish buildup in the tank, lines, filters, and of course the carb. Replace all the filters and then get a high quality fuel system cleaner. After you have run a tankful of the cleaner through the system and if it is still not starting then rebuild the carb.

Also, a complete tune up is required, the plugs may be fouled out and not firing as they should. If you have the option available fill the MH with pure gasoline and not the 10% ethanol I don't have that option, everything here has ethanol in it. The one time I could get pure gasoline, our class A ran like a different machine.

If I can help you PM me with your phone number and I will call you, I have unlimited free calling on my cell phone.

Another good site to check out is Good Old Rvs, Good Old RVs - Vintage RVs for the rest of us... ,it is a site dedicated to vintage RVs.

Berniece & Russell with LilBit a Netherland Dwarf rabbit
1987 Southwind, 1995 Ford F150 Supercab 4X4 toad
Life in the fast lane? No thanks! We will stop and smell the flowers at every chance.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. Congrats on the new to you rig. Great shape and you did well on the photos.

Might want to do a compression check along with the carb kit. Also a vacuum gauge will tell you if there are valves leaking, could also be a timing chain issue. Have you checked the fuel filter? Best of luck.

Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Have a wonderful day!
Ken (RVM 87)
FT DP Wanna B The journey is the destination!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
If the coach body has no water leaks, you did real good.

As I keep telling people with old and unused coaches, all the rubber parts are suspect. This doesn't just mean tires, those are a given. By all the rubber, I mean hoses - all coolant, fuel and brake as well as belts.

As to tires, if those are 8.75x16.5 get ready, there is only one manufacturer. Start hunting up 16" wheels that have the correct hub bore and spider. This might be tough. Those look like the round ones and they are hard to find.

And yes, the fuel is probably the problem. Don't let anybody touch the carburetor until you have run a whole tank loaded with Seafoam through it. It probably has a Quadrajet. Here is a link to the manual: Rochester Quadrajet Manual - The Old Car Manual Project

What ever you do, there is a filter at the carburetor feed that is an easy way to destroy a good carburetor. When you go to take it out, disconnect the fuel line first and get it clear. USE A REAL WRENCH to unscrew it. Be sure to catch the little spring. When you put it back together, USE FINGERS ONLY until the housing is seated. These get cross threaded and stripped out all the time and there is NO RELIABLE REPAIR. Now use the good wrench to tighten the last 1/12 of a turn. Then you can put the fuel line back on.

A lifelong waterman and his bride going dry places for as long as the fuel money lasts.
MattC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
Update on RV, got it home, pulled of dist. cap/rotor both are burnt pretty bad amazed it drove home so before digging into the carb going to replace tunne-up and see how it runs. I do have a question maybe someone can help me out with? The roof has previously had an EPDM coating applied and is pretty shabby (not sure how the wood beneath it all looks, i had someone weighing around 120lbs on the roof to cover up broken vents and, there was no sagging but she told me that the roof coating want touching the wood, now my thoughts were apply a coating or few of Liquid RV followed by Stop Leak along the seems but, i would love to know what everyone's thoughts are? all i want is no leaks and to prevent any further damage (if there is in fact any)

Edit: I would like to thank everyone for the kind greetings! and, would like to thank in advance for any ideas or opinions on what i should do with roof.
Thanks, Contra
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141015_114503.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	77367   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141015_114507.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	77368  

Name:	20141015_114521.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	77369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141015_114511.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	77370  

Contradixion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
I would replace ALL FUEL LINES THAT ARE RUBBER the old ones where not meant for ethanol ,and keep changing fuel filters the new gas will really clean the old tank of any varnish ,
bulldog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:19 PM   #7
Sounds like an accellerator pump problem. Sea foam is a great product. See if you have a local station that sells non ethanol gas. Use that when possible, especially for storage.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

Congrats on your purchase. It looks very nice. Another big issue is brake fluid. This absorbs water over time; which can boil from the heat of brake application, resulting in no brakes. I strongly suggest you flush the entire system and replace with new brake fluid . Some recommendations are that this should be done every two years.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #9
those old rv I think had metal roofs, if this is metal, than just use a putty knife clean off any loose stuff and reseal with a good coat of "Kool Seal" again if it is metal.
looks really nice and good shape,,,
good luck with the engine,,,
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post

Congrats on your purchase. It looks very nice. Another big issue is brake fluid. This absorbs water over time; which can boil from the heat of brake application, resulting in no brakes. I strongly suggest you flush the entire system and replace with new brake fluid . Some recommendations are that this should be done every two years.

And while on brakes, replace the flexible brake lines on front brakes. These break down on the inside and cause brakes to stick.

Love the looks of your new RV, wishing you all the best of times.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote