Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

1977 12v system

help please. i was doing fine and cooking and doing dishes turned around to find out my fridge wasn't working. come to find out NONE of my 12v is working no lights, fans or even the water pump. I can hear the inverter working and no fuses are popped it appears fine. I am also plugged into land power. please help i have no clue what i did or what happened.
kmb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
12v system

Just a thought.
It appears your house battery may be dead as the result of a defunct CONverter. Converter takes 115v AC and converts it to 12-14v DC.
Your INverter does the opposite. Takes 12v DC and boosts it to 115v AC.
Even when you are plugged in, if your converter is bad, the battery will not charge. Your fridge will suck battery (batteries) power to zero in a very short period of time.

gaugeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

ok so we ran a wire from the batteries straight to the panel and it works. now i read there is a circuit somewhere between the batteries and panel. but for the life of me i can not find a diagram anywhere for this model. any help would be grateful bc i do not want to try to run another wire and right now its thru my kitchen into the panel. there is really no room to try and snake a new wire and i cant even trace where it goes from the batteries to the panel.
kmb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have clearly lost the converter.. Sounds like your converter and inverter are 2 different boxes.

In most RVs there is a switch, sometimes called a Salesman switch but it is really the battery disconnect, It may be lebeled AUX or USE/STORE or Disconnect, or Well, use your imagination, OFten it is just inside the door about eye level if you are standing on the ground.

On my RV, it failed.. I fixed it, and so far it contiued working.

Now this varies rig to rig,, On mine it's a small rocker, Light weight, just sends power to a solenoid located elsewhere.. When I pressed STORE I clearly heard the CLUNK of the solenoid.. When I pressed USE.. NO CLUNK, I could not re-connect.. (I will tell you how to fix if you need it).

Look for this switch

Also, Inverters come in two flavors (By two more) for this post.

Stand Alone and "in-line" in most cases an "In-Line" also charges the batteries IF shore power is present... Alas it can not if no shore power

I have seen mine trip the circuit breaker... And mine is plugged in and I've accidently pulled the plug a few times (And pulled it on purpose a few times too, most recently this week). Many are built into the power panel.. And all of them have fuses too.